Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coastal Longhorns - Hurricane Harvey Thread

joeywa

The school where I teach is being used as a shelter. I am staying with my daughter's family right now, which was an unexpected benefit.

My concern is school starting again, but not having power at home, or having both routes to school impassable (both county roads for about 15 miles.). One of the routes is certain to flood, but the other is 50-50.

May need to commute much further.

Aaron and his family are pinned in there in Pearland. They can't get out as roads are flooded in all directions. His street is flooded to his yard. But forecasters say they're going to get another 20 inches of rain, so I fear he and his family will need to move to the second floor.

Prayers for Aaron and his family and hopefully this thing will move out soon.

This is not good, folks.  They're talking about intermittent release of water from Addicks Dam and one other.  Officials are saying that the affected homes will have water in their homes for the next 2 months.  Think about that.  Ugh.  The other option is to do nothing, and one or both dams fail, and Houston becomes what New Orleans did when the levees failed in Katrina. 

Aaron and his family are pinned in there in Pearland. They can't get out as roads are flooded in all directions. His street is flooded to his yard. But forecasters say they're going to get another 20 inches of rain, so I fear he and his family will need to move to the second floor.

Prayers for Aaron and his family and hopefully this thing will move out soon.

Yes.  I've been in contact with him as well today/tonight.  Hope things settle a bit and they see the waters recede.  This storm system is doing all the wrong things right now. 

If you get a Mandatory Evacuation notification, don't screw around. Get your family and whatever you want to take packed and GET OUT. There is a very real chance that these levees are breached by tomorrow afternoon. This is not something to dilly dally on. When they say mandatory, they mean GTFO.

Glad you heard back, because I texted him earlier and didn't get a reply.

I got plenty of family and friends down there, so I've been a wreck keeping up with everything from afar.

Know what you mean. My brother and his wife live in Pearland and one of their kids, with small kids of their own, in Dickinson. Haven't heard from him since Saturday night and haven't been able to reach him. 

Got a text from Aaron this morning.  He's still holed up in his house, but the rains have continued to come down.  They're still dry in the house at this point. 

Mandatory evacuation in Dickinson just announced.  Thing just keeps spinning over the Houston metro area.  Barker & Addicks dams are releasing water from the gates.  Conroe dam is releasing water from the gates.  Sienna Plantation trying to pump their water out, but are apparently having issues with the pump system.  Mandatory evac in Ft Bend County, (Missouri City/Sienna Plantation)

Stay safe folks.

Looks like Aaron is going to be fine. He is of course still surrounded by water and can't get anywhere via car, but he was able to walk to a convenience store today and pick some things up. He posted some pictures on FB today. Just unbelievable what they're going through.

I have heard that Mayweather has donated $200 million to Houston relief. The owner of the Rockets has donated $10 million.

Don't forget about our friends down in the Rockport, Refugio, Port Aransas areas as those town were totally devastated and most of the attention seems to have been focused on Houston for the past few days.

Looks like Aaron is going to be fine. He is of course still surrounded by water and can't get anywhere via car, but he was able to walk to a convenience store today and pick some things up. He posted some pictures on FB today. Just unbelievable what they're going through.

I have heard that Mayweather has donated $200 million to Houston relief. The owner of the Rockets has donated $10 million.

Don't forget about our friends down in the Rockport, Refugio, Port Aransas areas as those town were totally devastated and most of the attention seems to have been focused on Houston for the past few days.

I believe the Mayweather donation was fake news. The Alexander donation is legit though. The support is coming in from all directions and it has been fanstastic to see.

JJ Watt did a fundraiser and raised $3 million in less than a day as well. 

Also, Marucci is selling shirts where proceeds go directly to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Effort, paying it forward from when Texans helped out the folks in Louisiana during their last hurricane.

marucci_cares.png Hurricane

Harvey Relief

Hurricane Harvey brought unprecedented rainfall, flooding, and destruction to the state of Texas with thousands of people losing everything, including their homes, businesses, and for some, even their lives.

Being no stranger to natural disasters ourselves, Marucci is committed to assisting in recovery efforts and raising awareness for our neighbors in Texas, who were there for us in Louisiana after last year’s devastating floods.

MATCTNTXFL1__07646.1504013530.png?c=2