Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are you a real Texas fan?

Coach_B

• Administrators

I think it takes an open mind to make an honest assessment of where this program is right now. There are a bunch of other variables that get thrown in the mix as well. Anyone that went to the University of Texas or any true fan of the Burnt Orange should be able to agree with this. We all jump the gun emotionally after a loss and say a lot of stuff. Fans and especially alumni/supporters have the right to speak their mind but the petty calling out of a coach or coach - & PARTICULARLY the players is uncalled for. These kids are 18-21 years old and they are KIDS. Mack should be able to take the heat but we have all heard he has thin skin. He has had a great ride at UT and he thought he would be lucky to see 5 years there (in his own words).

I respect Coach Brown and I know at the end of the season there will be a star chamber of sorts that looks at the efficacy of the coach and assistant coaches BECAUSE THEY WANT ONLY THE BEST FOR THIS FOOTBALL PROGRAM THAT HAS A STORIED HISTORY AND TRADITION. Watering it down with mediocrity is not something anyone wants, including Mack.

The one thing that happens is because the OU game is so early in the season despite most rivalry games being at the end of the season. The problem is Mack Brown knows this too. Look right now, the pain is still fresh but it's getting better for Longhorn fans. Now if he wins the next 5 games, the Longhorns are 10-2 with a win over Kansas State. So firing him looks ridiculous and no coach wants to lose their job after winning 10 regular season games. Coaches also won't want to walk into a situation where it's a little reward, huge risk situation.

You can tell with comments like that the pressure of the job is getting to him. Calling out 99% of the fanbase like their opinions don't matter. That's insulting.

But let's say Tucker misses that field goal against the Aggies. Mike Sherman keeps his job and he is leading A&M into the SEC. But because that was the last game for almost a month, that lingered with Aggies everywhere. But Mack knows he can save his job because he just has to win 9 or 10 games and he knows that. He will let everyone know that he runs Texas. So the question is, will he run Texas into the ground?

• Administrators

Chris, I think you said it well. It is possible (slightly slim albeit) that this team wins 10 games this season. In that case - Mack ain't going anywhere. It is starting to get to the point where the coach manipulates the system of sorts. Looking at the portfolio thus far this season it is a HUGE disappointment for the University of Texas football program. It was a disappointment the day they lost the West Virginia game. Lose one and it sucks but you still have a mathematical shot. Lose two and you are screwed. This is big time football not about making feelings the priority. Like I said, Mack is a good guy but my patience for him and mediocrity is growing thin.

Chris, I think you said it well. It is possible (slightly slim albeit) that this team wins 10 games this season. In that case - Mack ain't going anywhere. It is starting to get to the point where the coach manipulates the system of sorts. Looking at the portfolio thus far this season it is a HUGE disappointment for the University of Texas football program. It was a disappointment the day they lost the West Virginia game. Lose one and it sucks but you still have a mathematical shot. Lose two and you are screwed. This is big time football not about making feelings the priority. Like I said, Mack is a good guy but my patience for him and mediocrity is growing thin.

Look at what he says.

"We need to compete for BCS bowls"

"Win 10 games"

Now these goals are great.......... For Oklahoma State. Texas wins championships. That's always been the goal. Mack brown schedules very few quality OOC games. Ohio State was good but really outside of that, not many big time opponents under Mack. His goal is 10 wins. Get 4 OOC wins, keep it close with OU. Beat up on everyone else. With Mack's recruiting prowess, that's pretty common.

I think Texas fans have themselves to blame in a way. Never demanding championships instead of wins. Mack is the source of great frustration with Texas fans. At the end of the day, this situation will either be messy or clean. The only way it will end clean is Mack Brown steps aside. He won't until they are winning at a BCS level. That's not guaranteed and with the 2014 class up in the air and the 2015 class likely in worse shape for Texas, we might be heading into another period like the late 80s and 90s before Mack.

Ridiculous comment by Mack.

How can any die-hard Orangeblood or Texas-Ex have anything positive to say after that embarrassing performance against OU? The 'Horns were out-hustled, out-blocked, out-tackled and out-coached in the biggest rivalry game! I guess we shouldn't have any expectations for Mack when he's got the best facilities, most resources and largest in-state talent pool in the country.

Bottom line - we're soft. The offense plays well against over-matched competition, but this defense is pathetic by every statistical measure. I don't understand why we have no fundamentals on defense. Bad technique, poor angles and atrocious tackling. It's ridiculous. Who the hell thinks we're capable of beating a quality team like K-State?

Shame on you, Coach Brown, for letting the program deteriorate over the past 3 years. Anything less than 9 wins should be grounds for dismissal with this schedule.

I'm a fan. I'm a realistic fan. I'm disappointed with the program because of the play that is happening on the field. I'm still a fan cheering and yelling at the games. It seems like Mack is really feeling some pressure right now, though.

He's like one of these outdated guys who've been Sheriff for 30 years. It's passed him by but he's so popular with the older voters/money he can't be forced out. He hires younger guys to actually run the place, but interferes in meaningful change because hes been here 30 years and "knows better". The younger voters never mobilize long enough to change.

When he finally moves on, the next guy spends half his first term fixing all the damage and modernizing the place.

That's us right now.