Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Michael needed a fresh start/re-start somewhere. Bringing in the JUCO C DJ Petrinsky was a big move for the UT staff. I would have to think he is the #1 guy with McCann being #2.

Michael was not drafted, and I would think he explored the undrafted free agent market as well. Another college season would allow him to work on his hitting and hone his skills behind the dish. Baseball is an extremely mental game, and once something gets in your head it can affect other areas of play. For Michael, I think his struggles at the plate spilled over to his catching. Keith Moreland said it best, when you start pressing, it's a recipe for failure. A new environment will do wonders for Michael and I wish him well at his new school. I hope it translates into him being able to continue his pursuit of playing at the next level.

Joeywa, what can you tell me about UT's newest commit Tyler Madden?  He's my daughter's cousin (i.e. my ex-wife's 1st cousin's son); known him since he was boen.  Everyone is excited he decommitted from Rice and gave a verbal to the good guys!  Entire family are Longhorn fans!  Word is he's a draft risk.  He's class of 2018.  Thanks!

Dbut, he's not what I'd label a 'draft lock' at this point, but when it comes to the MLB teams and scouts, if his skill set is what they're looking for, then they'll hold nothing back trying to get him drafted.  It really all depends on what the young man wants to do.  He has some really good stuff, hearing low 90s, and he's a big kid at 6'4".  He's one of the top pitchers in the state in the 2018 class.  Again, he knows he can come to UT and if he does well for a few seasons, he could make himself some good money in the draft down the line.

Joeywa, what can you tell me about UT's newest commit Tyler Madden?  He's my daughter's cousin (i.e. my ex-wife's 1st cousin's son); known him since he was boen.  Everyone is excited he decommitted from Rice and gave a verbal to the good guys!  Entire family are Longhorn fans!  Word is he's a draft risk.  He's class of 2018.  Thanks!

Ty Madden is one of those kids that is a great young man. 

Ty Madden is a 2018 RHP/1B/3B with a 6-4 180 lb. frame from Cypress, TX who attends Cypress Ranch HS. Long and slender square shouldered build. Stays tall well in his delivery, powers to the plate, full arm action in back, over the top arm slot, quick arm and stays on top of the ball well. Low 90's fastball, topped out at 93 mph, velocity comes pretty easily, fastball pretty straight. Hard curveball that will flash sharp biting action. Nice change up with good arm speed and slot, creates deception. Lots of room to fill out and get stronger.

As far as the draft status, most kids who have committed to an elite D1 school have the potential to be drafted just the nature of the game.. But, I fully expect hime to be on campus next fall.