Daniel Seahorn

It Begins.... (2017 Fall Camp Thread)

Talked to my friend today, he tells me things look very good for Damion Miller to make it to UT. He was told the grade average will be more than sufficient to get him into UT. However, that may take a few weeks to get the official word. He won't make it in for most of fall camp.

Hopefully, UT knows they've got to put an academic person on Miller as soon as he arrives. He's not a dumb kid, just needs to apply himself in the books.

Talked to my friend today, he tells me things look very good for Damion Miller to make it to UT. He was told the grade average will be more than sufficient to get him into UT. However, that may take a few weeks to get the official word. He won't make it in for most of fall camp.

Hopefully, UT knows they've got to put an academic person on Miller as soon as he arrives. He's not a dumb kid, just needs to apply himself in the books.

Important just to get him to campus at this point. He was likely redshirting even if he arrived on time.

Will,

Numerous sites talking about Gary Johnson and how big he is or isn't. What were your thoughts from being out there today?

He didn't look huge to me. Looked about normal height. Maybe a little short comparatively. Nothing noticeable.

I'll take a harder look Friday.

He's being asked to do completely different things this year. A lot of last year's film won't exactly apply.

My memory could be wrong here.... but I remember Hager started has career at MLB and showed flashes but struggled at times.  Then, they moved him to the outside where he primarily rushed the passer and became one of the most productive players we had.  Rushing the quarterback is what he flourished at the most in high school.  I just don't understand moving him back to the middle based on my understanding of HIS history (not his dad's). 

My memory could be wrong here.... but I remember Hager started has career at MLB and showed flashes but struggled at times.  Then, they moved him to the outside where he primarily rushed the passer and became one of the most productive players we had.  Rushing the quarterback is what he flourished at the most in high school.  I just don't understand moving him back to the middle based on my understanding of HIS history (not his dad's). 

The thinking behind this is that they like Naashon Hughes and Jeffrey McCulloch better at B-Backer. They like guys like Malik Jefferson and Gary Johnson at Rover. MLB will still be sent into the back field quite a bit in this defense. It's more a way of finding the best way to get him on the field.

My memory could be wrong here.... but I remember Hager started has career at MLB and showed flashes but struggled at times. Then, they moved him to the outside where he primarily rushed the passer and became one of the most productive players we had. Rushing the quarterback is what he flourished at the most in high school. I just don't understand moving him back to the middle based on my understanding of HIS history (not his dad's).

He's really not a natural fit as a middle backer. He did start off there when he arrived at Texas, but he really flourished when he was moved to Fox and put his hand in the dirt to rush the passer. He's a guy who will make a lot of plays on grit and hustle, but I think he lacks the instincts for the position.

He's still there, but he needs to learn to catch the ball consistently. Seems to be between the ears for him.

Our guy on OB said at last years fall camp.....Burt had the "loudest" catches he ever heard....I took it to mean his hands were not at all soft. Maybe he needs juggling lessons.

Our guy on OB said at last years fall camp.....Burt had the "loudest" catches he ever heard....I took it to mean his hands were not at all soft. Maybe he needs juggling lessons.

Or to return to sprinting and hurdling for the track team? I had big hopes for him after his freshman year.

What ever happened to John Burt?

He got a case of the drops his Sophomore year. Now there is so much talent surrounding him it's a case of, "who do you want him to replace?" Honestly, I wouldn't put a ton of weight on this early depth chart right now. I assume it will change and maybe Burt can work his way back on.

The WRs will be rotated often during games.