Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Daniel Seahorn

It Begins.... (2017 Fall Camp Thread)

Actually, I think that's smart. We need QBs that are ready to play. You need plans for all available QBs. You script everything and pray it goes close to planned. Texas only has 2 QBs. There is no way you can consider redshirting Sam. If we had 3 or 4 QBs, then it would be a consideration, but only if he were the #3 or #4 option.

Trust me, I understand completely. Sam must prepare as if he is going in. However, if you don't need him and Shane stays healthy, I see no reason to play him in late 4th qtr mop up duty to just hand the ball off. That's wasting a year in my eyes. There has got to be someone else to do that duty. I remember back to Vince Young's Jr season, didn't the Horns use a seldom used Matt Nordgran in mop up duty instead of bringing in Colt McCoy as a freshman? I could be remembering that wrong, but it's in my memory. I know they had QBs to use, If only they kept Merrick.

IMO.... Colt needed to redshirt regardless if simply to put on weight.

I don't think for a second that he was ready to get blasted by division 1 Defenses. Even a redshirt freshman he looked small.

IMO.... Colt needed to redshirt regardless if simply to put on weight.

I don't think for a second that he was ready to get blasted by division 1 Defenses. Even a redshirt freshman he looked small.

Agreed. How much smaller was he compared to Shane last year?

I just wish there was a way to get two years of Sam at QB instead of one. Right now, if Shane stays healthy, keeps getting better and stays through his Sr. year then Sam only gets 1 full year under center.

I want a healthy QB competition and I hope Shane continues to fight Sam off for QB1, because that means both QBs are getting better.

Chances are that Sam will be needed during Shames tenure, I just hope it's not this year.

Trust me, I understand completely. Sam must prepare as if he is going in. However, if you don't need him and Shane stays healthy, I see no reason to play him in late 4th qtr mop up duty to just hand the ball off. That's wasting a year in my eyes. There has got to be someone else to do that duty. I remember back to Vince Young's Jr season, didn't the Horns use a seldom used Matt Nordgran in mop up duty instead of bringing in Colt McCoy as a freshman? I could be remembering that wrong, but it's in my memory. I know they had QBs to use, If only they kept Merrick.

I could not disagree strongly enough with this statement. We had an excellent chance to win a National Championship when we played Bama for the title. We were on our way to DOMINATING that game when Colt went down. In comes our highly touted freshman .....with almost zero meaningful snaps. We lost that game but it was in doubt with under 5 minutes to play. Had Mack brought Gilbert in in some of those games we had in complete control to build his confidence and gain experience during game time, we most likely would have won....and maybe Gilbert would have turned out better for it.

DKR had his second string QB in the games by the early 3rd quarter at the latest.

Dammit all....We are trying win games this year, not next year.

It's never gonna happen but I wish Herman would just come out and say how he feels about the hand he was dealt.... "hey this is. Team that SHOULD go out and win 10 games" or "hey this is a 5 win team that will play Kansas tough" sure would make me feel better. lol until then I'm going with 8 to 10 wins still.

It's never gonna happen but I wish Herman would just come out and say how he feels about the hand he was dealt.... "hey this is. Team that SHOULD go out and win 10 games" or "hey this is a 5 win team that will play Kansas tough" sure would make me feel better. lol until then I'm going with 8 to 10 wins still.

That might make sense to you....but to a coach who is basicly year to year regardless of contract, who in their right mind would say what they thought....and then miss by one game?...by some fumble or bad bounce?....hell no!

Just like in Bull Durham when Costners character had the high value rookie work on his cliches....you do that poor mouthing because it works!

Yes I agree, I wouldn't do it if I was him either but ya know he has a number in his head. If I'm not mistake Harbough In his first season with Michigan called his shot for a title. But failed lol so point proven. I can just sit back and watch it unfold 😬

That might make sense to you....but to a coach who is basicly year to year regardless of contract, who in their right mind would say what they thought....and then miss by one game?...by some fumble or bad bounce?....hell no!

Just like in Bull Durham when Costners character had the high value rookie work on his cliches....you do that poor mouthing because it works!

Paging Lou Holtz.....

This is a big year for Malik.  Whether he has been playing out of position in the middle or scheme in general the last couple of years, his play hasn't met expectations coming out of high school.  His athletic ability still has NFL scouts interested and certainly could earn some money if he can become a consistent playmaker from the outside, which should help as he wouldn't have to take on OL as much.