Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Daniel Seahorn

It Begins.... (2017 Fall Camp Thread)

Doc Longhorn can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think foot fractures aren't nearly as serious as breaking other limbs. I've had one myself and was back in no time. This will be weeks, not months.

You miss Beck because of course he's good and he's experienced. But we should be fine. You game plan with what you've got. Plus, we have some athletes who can play multiple positions. I'm sure Herman will move someone over for depth. Who knows, maybe we stumble onto a TE. Too bad we didn't try one of our QBs there last year. lol

Whatever happened with Devonaire Clarington? Is he playing for a JUCO team now and is there a chance he could now be eligible to transfer here?

He was awful at Blinn and ended up transferring to another JUCO. Not even worth mentioning.

Did anyone from that Florida group pan out? I guess the jury is still out on D. Davis, but he is getting passed up on the depth chart. Haven't heard anything about Tim Irvin and who the hell knows where Cherry is these days. I dont think Gilbert Johnson made it out of his back yard.

Tim Irvin is at East Carolina. He transferred from Auburn after that coaching friend of his left Auburn.

Cecil Cherry was a backup LB at South Florida but transferred to a JUCO in Mississippi last fall before the end of the season.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/11/28/13761664/back-up-linebacker-cecil-cherry-to-transfer-usf-texas-juco-memphis-auggie-sanchez-nigel-harris

Clarington, as far as I can find out, is still at Blinn.

Gilbert Johnson plays WR for Mars Hill of the South Atlantic Conference. He averaged a conference-leading 20.6 YPC last year (19.7 on the year) and had 9 TD catches, 42 REC, 826 yards

Not bad. Wish it could have worked out for him here.

Tim Irvin is at East Carolina. He transferred from Auburn after that coaching friend of his left Auburn.

Cecil Cherry was a backup LB at South Florida but transferred to a JUCO in Mississippi last fall before the end of the season.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/11/28/13761664/back-up-linebacker-cecil-cherry-to-transfer-usf-texas-juco-memphis-auggie-sanchez-nigel-harris

Clarington, as far as I can find out, is still at Blinn.

Gilbert Johnson plays WR for Mars Hill of the South Atlantic Conference. He averaged a conference-leading 20.6 YPC last year (19.7 on the year) and had 9 TD catches, 42 REC, 826 yards

Not bad. Wish it could have worked out for him here.

Good work, SHA. So much for star ratings.

Did anyone from that Florida group pan out? I guess the jury is still out on D. Davis, but he is getting passed up on the depth chart. Haven't heard anything about Tim Irvin and who the hell knows where Cherry is these days. I dont think Gilbert Johnson made it out of his back yard.

I think Irvin ended up at ECU. Not for sure.

Cherry is head case who has left two FBS programs and is now at a JUCO.

Davis has been working with the twos in camp and is the best bet of the bunch to pan out.

There were some players that Texas targeted in that Florida carpet bombing that have turned out to be solid players. Ronnie Harrison and Carlton Davis are two that come to mind.

Curious to know if Shane is named the starting QB will the Horns try and red shirt Sam? I mean have Sam ready to go in case Shane goes down, but is there someone else they can use for blowouts or for a play or two here and there (like if Shanes helmet comes off or something like that). Would hate to waste a year of Sam's eligibility for just mop up dity. Can or will they use Heard for something like that?

Curious to know if Shane is named the starting QB will the Horns try and red shirt Sam? I mean have Sam ready to go in case Shane goes down, but is there someone else they can use for blowouts or for a play or two here and there (like if Shanes helmet comes off or something like that). Would hate to waste a year of Sam's eligibility for just mop up dity. Can or will they use Heard for something like that?

Very little chance Sam redshirts even though that would be ideal. Heard will only be the emergency QB. Full time WR otherwise.

Daniel Seahorn, on 20 Aug 2017 - 4:34 PM, said:snapback.png

Very little chance Sam redshirts even though that would be ideal. Heard will only be the emergency QB. Full time WR otherwise.

Well crap. That kind of sucks. 

Actually, I think that's smart. We need QBs that are ready to play. You need plans for all available QBs. You script everything and pray it goes close to planned. Texas only has 2 QBs. There is no way you can consider redshirting Sam. If we had 3 or 4 QBs, then it would be a consideration, but only if he were the #3 or #4 option.