Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another One! Texas Lands Four-Star TE Malcolm Epps (by Harrison Wier)

Back to the topic on hand, I seem to remember reading a lot of comments that people on this board would rather have other TE's. However Epps is higher rated than one or maybe both and has an offer from Bama. Throw in the fact that Herman likes him enough to offer and I'm OK with this get.

BTW, what's the deal with the appliance ads on the sides? It's cutting into the far right of all the posts making them hard to read.

1. Epps is rated too high and I think he drops during the next updated ratings, unless he really comes into his own. I don't see him as a 4-star and think eventually he won't be.

2. Epps does not have an offer from Bama. They will not take him. They once threw one out and wanted to slow play him, but he committed and they eventually just told him he needed to look elsewhere.

3. "Herman likes him enough." Thats probably all you needed to say. I'm going to put faith in Herman on this one.

4. On whether UT takes a third TE in this class . . . I cannot imagine a situation where Herman takes the MM or Ford offers off the table. I don't think we get Ford but I hear a buzz about MM. If he wants to come, I think Herman takes him. And I can't believe I just said that. 3 TEs. Wow.

I'm not concerned about his 40 time and hope he doesn't lose weight.  His frame provides incredible length, in fact, length that you hope your OT has.  I could see him with his hand on the ground turning into a useful blocker and once he learns how to use his hands better, a matchup nightmare for a nickel back or OLB.  Soft hands when he catches the football.  Comparing him to other TE prospects, who may be glorified slot types, may not be fair.  I hope he has a great career at UT.  Hook em!

His eval isn't going to take a massive hit.  Heck, the kid plays on a 5-6 team.  Rivals has him higher than MM at the position, ESPN has him 4th at his position, etc...  

He's 225 at 6'6", he's fluid in pads with soft hands and athletic enough to receive D1 BB scholly offers.  He's always been a take!  

His eval isn't going to take a massive hit. Heck, the kid plays on a 5-6 team. Rivals has him higher than MM at the position, ESPN has him 4th at his position, etc...

He's 225 at 6'6", he's fluid in pads with soft hands and athletic enough to receive D1 BB scholly offers. He's always been a take!

Rankings aside. After watching both of their films do you think Epps should be ranked higher than Muhammad?

I don't pay attention to Rivals or Espn for the record. If I'm looking at rankings I look at the composite rankings on 247 since they take all of the network rankings into account.

Rankings aside. After watching both of their films do you think Epps should be ranked higher than Muhammad?

I don't pay attention to Rivals or Espn for the record. If I'm looking at rankings I look at the composite rankings on 247 since they take all of the network rankings into account.

IMHO, no.  But, I also don't see Muhammad as an option so it doesn't matter to me (I think he heads OOS).  Epps is a take with DWA already committed.  My point with ranking data is that they all have him rated highly, some much higher than others.  They're not all going to back off their evals in a big way, they all have a different philosophy.  

I agree 247 composite is the go to these days.  

Now, should Herman and company win 10 games....MM, Cook, Brown, etc...They all may jump in.

IMHO, no. But, I also don't see Muhammad as an option so it doesn't matter to me (I think he heads OOS). Epps is a take with DWA already committed. My point with ranking data is that they all have him rated highly, some much higher than others. They're not all going to back off their evals in a big way, they all have a different philosophy.

I agree 247 composite is the go to these days.

Now, should Herman and company win 10 games....MM, Cook, Brown, etc...They all may jump in.

Muhammad is still considering Texas, so don't rule him out yet.

Epps and DWA are similarish players to me in the way that they are good receivers, but need to develop to their blocking skills.

IMO Epps benefited in the rankings early on when he blew up and committed to Alabama, but the film since then hasn't exactly been favorable. He may have a huge senior year and prove the ranking right, but I know many think his ranking a little inflated right now.

I'm not hating on the kid, just giving my honest take on it. I hope he goes out and has a great year and puts concerns to rest.

1. Epps is rated too high and I think he drops during the next updated ratings, unless he really comes into his own. I don't see him as a 4-star and think eventually he won't be.

2. Epps does not have an offer from Bama. They will not take him. They once threw one out and wanted to slow play him, but he committed and they eventually just told him he needed to look elsewhere.

3. "Herman likes him enough." Thats probably all you needed to say. I'm going to put faith in Herman on this one.

4. On whether UT takes a third TE in this class . . . I cannot imagine a situation where Herman takes the MM or Ford offers off the table. I don't think we get Ford but I hear a buzz about MM. If he wants to come, I think Herman takes him. And I can't believe I just said that. 3 TEs. Wow.

Texas has had 3* turn into something special before. Let's watch it play out.

Daniel, what would you say the main difference from MM and Epps?

I'm not an evaluator... I see two big kids that can play ball. I I get the 40 time and measurables (height/weight/speed) and how they give you better opportunity to succeed.

MM is more well rounded as a blocker and a receiver and is more college ready than Epps. It won't take MM long to see the field wherever he ends up.

Edited by Daniel Seahorn
  • 2 weeks later...

His best play makers are going to play, meaning Brewer was always likely to be on ST regardless of TE depth, Not it appears we'll get to see him run routes as well as play special teams.

Yes, the best players are going to see the field as they should. It was never a given Brewer was going to see the field as a freshman in any capacity. The initial plan was to redshirt after they signed him.

He's been mentioned by the staff during camp, but lets see what transpires during the season.