Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Harrison Wier

Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp would like to renew UT-A&M rivalry

How so? Not saying you're incorrect, just curious.

Lets start with this - Aggy recruiting base is the state of Texas.  Their biggest recruiting rival is UT. 

Exposure to the states recruits is a huge tool in recruiting.  Playing the Longhorns, makes them relevant to the states recruits - especially if they win.  Aggy's primary recruiting tool is he SEC.  Outside of this, what else do they have to sell that is better than UT?  Playing us enables them to say we can play the biggest and the baddest of the state of Texas, while playing in the biggest and baddest conference.

At least that would be a selling point for them.  And for the recruits parents.

Why give them that opportunity?  Seriously, the only thing different about aggy and Arky is aggy's location.  If collie station were in Louisiana, do you think they would be more relevant than Arkansas?  At least to the recruits of Texas?

And, financially, playing us gives them a $$ windfall they would never get playing the Sisters of the Poor.  The game would be nationally televised and, at least in the aggy's eyes, make them appear to be on the same level as UT.

Why help them with this?

A&M is currently the most profitable athletic department in the country. Beat Texas out for the No. 1 spot. Again on the LSS, that is just a personal preference. I loved going to the RRS. I never missed a game as an undergrad. That's certainly one game I'm going to miss being able to go to.

I am not certain that this is factually correct either. I believe aTm got a huge surge of money that their alums poured in to help with stadium renovations and that year will prove to be an anomily.When you start deducting their debt service for that stadium for the next 25 years I suspect that "profit" will greatly dwindle.

COUNTRY REVIVAL

How the straight-talking, coyote-shooting, tobacco-chewing John Sharp has led a bonanza at Texas A&M

Despite A&M’s success in the SEC, the question keeps popping up: When will it play UT again? The two teams haven’t faced off on a football field since 2011, A&M’s final year in the Big 12, when the Longhorns defeated A&M at Kyle Field, 27–25. The Aggies’ fiercest rival is now Louisiana State University, the only team in the SEC West they have yet to beat since joining the conference. “I know a lot of people would like to see A&M play UT again,†Sharp said. “Not the kids here necessarily, but a lot of the older alumni still ask about it.â€

The problem, he explained, is A&M’s punishing conference schedule. “The players just get the shit beat out of them in those games because of the big SEC defenses. They need a full week to recover—some of them don’t even practice until Tuesday or Wednesday.†For the four non-conference games each season, the team would rather play cream puffs like Nicholls State or the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, two of the softer teams on this fall’s schedule.

Still, Sharp won’t rule out the possibility of a rematch sometime in the future. “I’d like to put the UT–A&M game back together. I know the governor wants to put it back together. UT wants to put it back together.â€

He thought about it for a minute, and a grin spread across his face.

“Man, can you imagine how much money we could make off that game?â€

http://features.texasmonthly.com/editorial/country-revival/

If you need a soft non-conference schedule to make it through the season and a week to recover after every conference game are you really "good enough for the SEC???"

Any post that starts..."Despite A&M's success in the sec".....cant be worth reading, but it was like a train wreck. I couldnt look away. Then when I read...

“I’d like to put the UT–A&M game back together. I know the governor wants to put it back together. UT wants to put it back together.â€

I was thinking who in hell is this moron talking to?

There is no logical reason Texas would need or even want to play aTm ever again. The aggys need it. We dont. Even if we played it again and beat crap out of them 20 times in a row all it would do is give them some credibility in this state again.

New aggy slogan

We Ran from This State....

Only aggy could call 3 consecutive 4th place finishes in their DIVISION of the secsecsec a success.

Any post that starts..."Despite A&M's success in the sec".....cant be worth reading, but it was like a train wreck. I couldnt look away. Then when I read...

“I’d like to put the UT–A&M game back together. I know the governor wants to put it back together. UT wants to put it back together.â€

I was thinking who in hell is this moron talking to?

There is no logical reason Texas would need or even want to play aTm ever again. The aggys need it. We dont. Even if we played it again and beat crap out of them 20 times in a row all it would do is give them some credibility in this state again.

New aggy slogan

We Ran from This State....

Only aggy could call 3 consecutive 4th place finishes in their DIVISION of the secsecsec a success.

I know this from behind the scenes gossip.  The aggys thought they could have their cake and eat it too.  They thought they could retreat to another conference and still retain the hugely profitable aggy/UT game as well.  Bow tie and the the aggy money men got the shock of their lives when Dodds said it ain't happening.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but all politics aside, I'd love to see the game come back. I still remember when I was a kid looking forward to that game. Went hand and hand with Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie. My obsession with the horns began with that game. I grew up in Houston and had a ton of ag classmates. Made for a lot deal of smack talk and bragging rights. I for one say bring it back and let's kick their ass over and over again!

A&M is currently the most profitable athletic department in the country. Beat Texas out for the No. 1 spot. Again on the LSS, that is just a personal preference. I loved going to the RRS. I never missed a game as an undergrad. That's certainly one game I'm going to miss being able to go to.

No, they aren't Harrison. Look at their YOY profitability.

aggy got a HUGE bump in 2016 due to their fund-raising drive to upgrade Pyle. For whatever reason, those monies are accounted for as "profits" by USA Today. Oregon got the same increase in 2015 because of Phil Knight's generosity.

aggy will be back to around 10-15 next year. Watch

I am not certain that this is factually correct either. I believe aTm got a huge surge of money that their alums poured in to help with stadium renovations and that year will prove to be an anomily.When you start deducting their debt service for that stadium for the next 25 years I suspect that "profit" will greatly dwindle.

As of now, it's factually accurate. USA Today does it every year and published the new one this year. But yes, A&M got an influx of revenue for the stadium upgrade.

No, they aren't Harrison. Look at their YOY profitability.

aggy got a HUGE bump in 2016 due to their fund-raising drive to upgrade Pyle. For whatever reason, those monies are accounted for as "profits" by USA Today. Oregon got the same increase in 2015 because of Phil Knight's generosity.

aggy will be back to around 10-15 next year. Watch

Good point. I'll look out for that next year.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but all politics aside, I'd love to see the game come back. I still remember when I was a kid looking forward to that game. Went hand and hand with Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie. My obsession with the horns began with that game. I grew up in Houston and had a ton of ag classmates. Made for a lot deal of smack talk and bragging rights. I for one say bring it back and let's kick their ass over and over again!

My younger years were quite different. I quickly learned to hate OU. When Texas beat OU, it meant something. It meant we were on our way to a championship and bowl game. It meant we were players on the national stage. 

Playing aggy, OTOH, was always a set up game. Beating aggy will never put us on a national stage. When we beat eggy, we should have. When we lose to them, its deflating. I do not have the same fondness for that game. There's no real "win" there even when we win.

Aggy can spend 9 games in total suckage, and then play a Texas team lights-out. Which only begs the question – where was that team for the previous nine weeks?

I see aggy in a similar way to how DKR viewed TCU . . . . cockroaches.

Aggy enjoys playing the little nobodies of the world. Its the only way they ever have a winning record on the season. I just assume they keep doing that.

Fake army and Collie Station?

I got nothin'

I read where aggy wants their Collieville school population to rise to 80,000.  80,000 goobers in one spot - can you believe it?

I, also, heard they have 66,000 there today.

Now consider the ramifications of this.  This monstrous amount of aggy nerdity will be released on a unsuspecting populace, year after year,   That means a humongous demand for aggy swag, in the stores, will most definitely increase their profitability.  Not to mention what it will do for that pitiful little township.

I guess aggy figures if they can't beat us on a level field they will overwhelm us with numbers.  This would be another avenue to gain relevance in the state - or not.

When I graduated from UT the enrollment was 25,000 and there was no where to park then.  Honestly, I don't know where the kids park today.  Imagine what UT would be like with 80,000 kids.

I read where aggy wants their Collieville school population to rise to 80,000. 80,000 goobers in one spot - can you believe it?

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy....thats what I think of, specifically the opening family tree chart, when I read the quoted statement above.

post-5382-0-91415200-1501333329_thumb.jpg

I'm kidding. Some of the most mediocre people I work with are Aggies.

I read where aggy wants their Collieville school population to rise to 80,000.  80,000 goobers in one spot - can you believe it?

Now consider the ramifications of this.  This monstrous amount of aggy nerdity will be released on a unsuspecting populace, year after year,   That means a humongous demand for aggy swag, in the stores, will most definitely increase their profitability.  Not to mention what it will do for that pitiful little township.

I guess aggy figures if they can't beat us on a level field they will overwhelm us with numbers.  This would be another avenue to gain relevance in the state - or not.

When I graduated from UT the enrollment was 25,000 and there was no where to park then.  Honestly, I don't know where the kids park today.  Imagine what UT would be like with 80,000 kids.

This is the classic example of Aggy inferiority syndrome. They want to be seen as being the larger school. Trouble is, they lose some prestige when they're taking so many.

Same thing showed up when they expanded their stadium years ago. Later, UT announced expansion plans where our stadium would seat more when finished. So what did Aggy do? They reconfigured their seats to 18" width in order to have more seating than UT. smh

Does anyone, besides me, find it interesting how Herman wants to play aggy so much?

I've considered his motivation for this and have decided that Herman has a huge ego and more than a little touch of arrogance.  I really like this, by-the-way.  Royal was exactly the same way.  Mack was just the opposite - at least publicly.  "They scared me to death".

I'm guessing he considers aggy his biggest in state competitor, when it comes to recruiting, and he thinks he can whip their butts most of the time - if not all of the time.  Thus eliminating them as a threat.

Thoughts?

Does anyone, besides me, find it interesting how Herman wants to play aggy so much?

I've considered his motivation for this and have decided that Herman has a huge ego and more than a little touch of arrogance.  I really like this, by-the-way.  Royal was exactly the same way.  Mack was just the opposite - at least publicly.  "They scared me to death".

I'm guessing he considers aggy his biggest in state competitor, when it comes to recruiting, and he thinks he can whip their butts most of the time - if not all of the time.  Thus eliminating them as a threat.

Thoughts?

Would not surprise me at all.

And I'm with you. I like that kind of attitude in a head coach.

SHA, I agree with your take on the Aggie game. In my estimation, they aren't really worthy competition. Just my opinion.

It is also my opinion, that increasing students while decreasing staff, and neglecting infrastructure and salaries is a recipe for mediocrity.

I also agree with those of you who like Herman's 'Bring It On' attitude. I think he wants to kick their traditionally underperforming butts. He would.

However, any recruiting advantage would be negated by giving the Ags a home and home in Texas. While currently, all conference games but the Arkansas game are played out of state every other year. I love it.

Good decision Ags. You traded mediocrity for mediocrity played out of state every other year. Way to go.