Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
echeese

Chip Brown RIPS Chris Polonsky

Well he doesn't really "rip" her, simply exposes her and what she has done to (instead of for) TEXAS athletics.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1792379-texas-women-s-ad-plonsky-asset-or-divisive

No one considers Chris the next athletic director at Texas, and that’s mind-boggling to me, because nobody knows more about TV contracts, the business of college athletics or her school - no one.†-Donna Lopiano, Texas’ first women’s AD in 1975 who hired Plonsky as the women’s sports information director at UT in 1982 (through 1986).

So, why not Plonsky?

The short answer is there appears to be no more polarizing person in the Texas athletic department than Christine A. Plonsky.

Nearly two dozen people interviewed by HornsDigest.com - ranging from current and former members of the Texas athletic department, to former coaches and student-athletes as well as boosters - paint a picture of Plonsky ranging from a huge asset to a destructive, divisive force.

Texas is the only school in Division I, II or III with a women's and a men's athletic director.

Several sources said Plonsky takes gender equity to extremes and uses Title IX when it doesn’t apply - creating division within the athletic department over money spent on the men as compared to women’s athletics.

Division has also been caused by Plonsky collecting dirt on her own coaches during student-athlete counseling, tutoring and exit interviews, then using the intel to micro-manage coaches, multiple sources told HD.

Cue the apologists but (and will admit, I am no insider) but I've never heard a good word about her.

Thank you Chip Brown for finally standing up and shining a light on a GLARING problem at TEXAS.

PS, before the SJWs try to claim I'm just being "homophobic" . .. . Chris is like Hilary to me, IDGAF who she sleeps with, my issues are with her policies.

Poster on another site pretty much nails it with this.

The lesbian mafia at Texas is incredibly powerful - and antagonistic. 

I know many complain about our BMDs, but they are the only ones that can occasionally force our school president to fight through the powerful, social justice bureaucrats that run all of our academic administration and an increasing amount of our sports administration. 

Another reason to love Herman is that he spotted it and fought the battle before he took the job.

Unfortunately, because of the obvious "politically correct" issues, she will never be fired. 

Thankfully, Herman has the balls to stand up to her. No one else has up until this point. 

Just wondering ... is there a current back story to this?  Historically, I know that some folks seem to have no love lost for Plonsky.  Is there some recent  something that happened?  Also, regarding NTG's comment, did Herman have some sort of problem with Plonsky or vice versa that I missed out on?  If so, what was the outcome?

Just wondering ... is there a current back story to this?  Historically, I know that some folks seem to have no love lost for Plonsky.  Is there some recent  something that happened?  Also, regarding NTG's comment, did Herman have some sort of problem with Plonsky or vice versa that I missed out on?  If so, what was the outcome?

The article talks about several back stories. Texas is the only school that has separate men's and women's AD's and it it totally unnecessary. Read the stories and it's not hard to conclude that she has abused the power of her position.

Plonsky is in charge of any and all marketing and licensing for all Texas athletics including football. Herman went to Fenves and Perrin and requested that all imaging coming out of the football office, on social media and otherwise, be approved from within by football chief of staff Fernando Lovo which was granted. In the article there are couple of examples given where she undermined Charlie's media requests last year. Won't happen under Herman. 

She is also responsible for the advertising on the stadium video board during football games. Herman is has become actively involved in the game-day atmosphere planning and is pushing for his graphics team to have control of the video board during games. 

Bottom line, Tom will not take any shit from Plonsky.

Over the years, I have heard quit a bit of discussion about issues regarding Lopiano, when when was here, and Plonsky, but my remembry is a little fuzzy  and I am afraid that I will not be making the effort to read anything on Scout ... I was a member there once ... and ... let's just say that they do not respond well to criticism.  I thought I paid attention during the hiring of Herman, but I guess I missed out on all of the imaging, graphics and advertising power of control struggle stuff, though, I do remember reading articles about how Herman was going to be more proactive in those areas, but those articles did not address power struggles.  I wonder how these issues played out with regards to men's basketball ... if they played out at all?

The most telling thing for me in this story is that Chip didn't have to use any of his famous "sources" at all. He got quotes from actual people who stood behind what they said to him. That's really telling how strongly they do not like Plonsky.

Nor should he.

I'd love to see the balance sheet for women's sports to see which, if any, are profitable. Football is the straw that stirs the drink in most athletic departments, certainly ours.

The "claim" by her supporters is that she has been instrumental in contract negotiations which has netted TEXAS great $$$$$$$$

Not sure I buy it or she's been very stealth about it.   2 biggest contracts where LHN and the NIKE deal. . . .this would mark the 1st I've heard she was involved but keep in mind, I write "From the Cheap Seats" so it's not like I would know who the players are.

The "claim" by her supporters is that she has been instrumental in contract negotiations which has netted TEXAS great $$$$$$$$

Not sure I buy it or she's been very stealth about it.   2 biggest contracts where LHN and the NIKE deal. . . .this would mark the 1st I've heard she was involved but keep in mind, I write "From the Cheap Seats" so it's not like I would know who the players are.

The player, singular, was DeLoss from everything I've read on the topic.

Maybe Powers helped close the LHN deal.