Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lowering season expectations!

mctmatt

First let me say that I am excited for the upcoming season but I am starting to realized after being down in Austin since Jan1 and able to get more Longhorn information that we are still in a major rebuilding phase and that the lack of quality depth from what I have been reading and hearing from others who follow the team much closer.  I had bought into some of the hype that Charlie was preaching that the two recruiting classes we have should get us to at least 9 or 10 wins but sadly I think we are much further back than what I was hoping. It is hard to keep a team healthy for an entire season and even though our first team is a good group I think we see a significant drop off when it comes to depth especially on the offensive and defensive line.  I think Tom will get us 7 wins this season and to a bowl any more than that is momentum that we can build from.

unless disaster strikes at QB Texas still has more talent than every team on schedule except USC and ou. now OSU has more experienced offensive talent but they lost a lot on defense and you can never count out TCU and K-State because of coaching. I expect 8 wins but injuries to key players could alter season simply there is no replacement for Connor Williams,Poona Ford and Chris Warren on roster.

You must be careful who you listen to when you live in Austin, Danny. There is an expert there for every sport, on every corner. Most of them couldn't find, well, you know...

I once had a 'baseball expert' tell me that Augie didn't know how to coach kids to hit a ground ball. It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

First let me say that I am excited for the upcoming season but I am starting to realized after being down in Austin since Jan1 and able to get more Longhorn information that we are still in a major rebuilding phase and that the lack of quality depth from what I have been reading and hearing from others who follow the team much closer.  I had bought into some of the hype that Charlie was preaching that the two recruiting classes we have should get us to at least 9 or 10 wins but sadly I think we are much further back than what I was hoping. It is hard to keep a team healthy for an entire season and even though our first team is a good group I think we see a significant drop off when it comes to depth especially on the offensive and defensive line.  I think Tom will get us 7 wins this season and to a bowl any more than that is momentum that we can build from.

Can you elaborate on who exactly you were able to get more information from?

For me it is not just the overall record. It is how do we look in our losses and to whom do we lose. I have never seen a University of Texas football team look as bad as ours did at times over the last three years. I don't want to ever see that shit again.

If we lose five but are very competitive in all of them I will be reasonably satisfied. If we lose four and are competitive in all of them I'll be happy. Anything more is gravy.

Can you elaborate on who exactly you were able to get more information from

I have had the opportunity to attend a few events, one with Tim Beck who gave a very good speech to a small group of us and he discussed basically building this program to succeed and that this season will be a difficult one and  a learning curve for many young players. He did not talk about any one player or position but did say that Texas lacked quality depth and it would take time to build that into the system.  Was not sure if that was a shot at Charlie or not but his tone seem to indicate that the program was not in the great shape that Charlie seemed to indicate.  I also had an opportunity on another occasion to hear  Derek Warehime  give a speech at a small program event back in May. He discussed instilling a winning attitude into a program that has not been winning  and getting the players to buy into their processes for building a winning program.  He commented that the offensive line is the foundation of the program and right now the concrete has not even been poured as they are still mixing  which got a few laughs . He commented that several of the lineman have shown great leadership and enthusiasm during the off-season and that many will be asked to fill several roles on the line because they will not have the luxury of having a second platoon to send into the game when needed as many other teams currently have.  Now both could be just blowing smoke, but I felt each gave an honest opinion and that their expectations are very high for the program, but that this is a program that is in a rebuilding phase and the upcoming season at times will struggle and reflect a program that is rebuilding.  

Anytime that you come off of a 5 win season, you're rebuilding regardless of the name on your jersey. Rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean that it will take seasons to turn it around, just means that you have to bust your butt and buy in 100% into the new staff. I was a big supporter of Charlie and he did 2 things that lead me to believe that this can be turned around quickly. 1- He left a talented roster behind. This team is in much better shape talent-wise than when he took over. Yes there are gaps and depth is a concern in some positions, but the talent to win is there. 2- He left Ws on the table. This is not a 5 win team if it was better coached/managed. For all Charlie did well, he was a disaster on the sidelines when it mattered most. Herman's attention to detail will not allow them to lose those types of games this year. At least that is how I predict it to happen. I am cautiously optimistic, but winning the conference is not out of the question. Not predicting it will happen, but I truly believe that if everything falls into place it is doable.

For me it is not just the overall record. It is how do we look in our losses and to whom do we lose. I have never seen a University of Texas football team look as bad as ours did at times over the last three years. I don't want to ever see that shit again.

If we lose five but are very competitive in all of them I will be reasonably satisfied. If we lose four and are competitive in all of them I'll be happy. Anything more is gravy.

I'll tell you what I want to see....I want to see enemy recievers get their teeth rattled for making a catch. I want to see qb pressure without having to blitz. I want to see special teams that look special instead of looking like a company picnic flag team. I want to see our guys gnawing on shin bones at the bottom of the pile.I want to see us do what beasts do. I want to see a coaching staff that is willing to put a foot on the throat of an opponent and then start stomping. I want to see Texas football....

That is all....

I have had the opportunity to attend a few events, one with Tim Beck who gave a very good speech to a small group of us and he discussed basically building this program to succeed and that this season will be a difficult one and  a learning curve for many young players. He did not talk about any one player or position but did say that Texas lacked quality depth and it would take time to build that into the system.  Was not sure if that was a shot at Charlie or not but his tone seem to indicate that the program was not in the great shape that Charlie seemed to indicate.  I also had an opportunity on another occasion to hear  Derek Warehime  give a speech at a small program event back in May. He discussed instilling a winning attitude into a program that has not been winning  and getting the players to buy into their processes for building a winning program.  He commented that the offensive line is the foundation of the program and right now the concrete has not even been poured as they are still mixing  which got a few laughs . He commented that several of the lineman have shown great leadership and enthusiasm during the off-season and that many will be asked to fill several roles on the line because they will not have the luxury of having a second platoon to send into the game when needed as many other teams currently have.  Now both could be just blowing smoke, but I felt each gave an honest opinion and that their expectations are very high for the program, but that this is a program that is in a rebuilding phase and the upcoming season at times will struggle and reflect a program that is rebuilding.  

Very interesting. Thanks.

One thing I feel strongly about is this staff has an overall different psychological approach to coaching. I liked Charlie a lot but I felt he put too much positive fluff out, which gave a misconception of how his teams would fare. I think Herman and his staff do a much better job of preaching to this team that hard work day in and day out will lead to desired outcomes. What the media, fans, football brainiacs, etc think about your talent level really doesn't mean jack nada.

Individual and team preparation/developmemt on a daily basis, ultimately will dictate success pr failure. As he has said many times, he expects to be the more prepared team on the field. Being more polished and prepared in all aspects of the game translates to wins. If the team has bought into this, then you avoid let downs in games against lesser opponents and play to your potential in tough games.

Of all the things Charlie did well, I think his focus on preparation and adjustments, left something to be desired.

With that said, we won't truly know where to set expectations until we see a quality on field product on a consistent basis.

I had been in Koolaide recovery since October but I have relapsed and have to give back my 7 month pin. I originally hoped I could just ease back into it and have "normal" expectations but I fear sliding all the way down to the bottom again. Is there a any hope for me?

OK...ya'll are on notice!....Any predictions from me from this day forward should be looked at with extreme prejudice ....to be heeded at your own peril

Sadly, Kinky Friedman was correct.....it IS only one small step from the Limo to the gutter....sighhhh

I just want to see us improving and the players developing as the season progresses.  I felt that Charlie's era was lacking in this as the same team I saw the first game of the season pretty much played that same way every game till the end of the season.  Severn wins again is my thoughts but heck if we win 8, 9, maybe even 10 trust me I will have no problem telling everyone I was totally wrong as I smile and enjoy every win.  Heck , I would make the same prediction every season if it would help .