Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack has to go...

Longhorns96

I love the guy. He is one of the best coaches I have ever had the privilege of meeting. But, his nice guy attitude has to go, and so does he. We need a hard ass coach, and someone who doesn't put up with this $hit!

How do you let our biggest rival drop 50+ f##king points 4 f##king times on us in a 12 yr span? We fired Reese, Chizik, Muschamp and GDGD. But, those f##kers from Mobilehoma still drop 63 on us.

Time to put the blame on the head coach.

Step down, Mack. Bring in some fresh blood.

Thank you for 2005, and you were severely screwed in 2008, but it is time to walk out graciously.

• Administrators

I cannot see how it isn't time for a little further introspection with respect to the coaching staff. I am still trying to figure out how the defense has fallen so far off from last year.

Coaches losing their jobs over the inability to beat rivals is not a new concept. I am mostly concerned about the stale nature ofnboth sides of the ball. There is no "pop" to anything they do.

This falls on the coaches and the coaches need to answer for this horrible display on the field today.

Our DC decided to have a nickle/dime package against the spread offensive teams..Takes out big LB's and puts in DB's..and he has stuck with it. Since Mack is not a coach anymore but a CEO he has no idea how to make any changes.

BTW..Tech is tearing WV up, 28-7, they seem to be able to defense WV.

Thanks Mack but its now time for a change at Texas. The culture of being soft needs to change from the top down. Not practicing 1s vs 1s and thud tempo and “wind” all have to go. You have done a good job brining Texas back but as of 2010 Mack Brown is not our standard.

For those that suggest, Mack Brown absolutely can NOT be the AD at Texas. He is not ment for that job. Mack can get a nice job with LHN & make some appearances.

IF Texas were to look for a HC we would have the top choice of teams that will be looking (Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, etc). But who is really out there?

Following coaches COULD be considered if we are to hire a coach soon. (I include personality bc it matters at Texas, not according to me but according the to guys who hire). Meaning Dana Holgorsen will not be considered.

1)Nick Saban – we could offer $8-10 million/year. Probably doesn’t leave Bama. Doent have the perception that Texas would ideally like but if winning is important we go after the best and make him say ‘no.”

2)Chris Peterson – likes Austin. HC with many good years at a BCS Busters. Personality that fits Texas. Can he step up to a big time program?

3)Chip Kelly – Personality? Shadyness? Would bring excitement to Austin and a fun offense. Good coach who has already been to a title game. Would Texas even consider him?

4)Art Briles – would Texas swallow its pride to consider him? Would he Texas? Good coach with Texas ties and good offense.

5)Kirby Smart – Very good, young DC. Would Texas hire a inexperienced guy? Would Texas consider a 36 yr old without HC experience?

6)Charlie Strong – Has he done enough to really be considered? Has a few years under his belt as a HC at Louisville and has his team in top 20. Is he good enough for us?

7)Dan Mullen – Good young coach. Has MSU in top 20 right now. Seems to have enough of a personality for Texas. Can he step up at a big time program?

8)Urban Meyer – would he leave his home state of Ohio? Does he still want it bad enough? Cant argue his success.

9)Gary Patterson – we could get him if we wanted but is that the direction Texas really wants to go? Is that the best Texas can do? He has a Bcs win.

10)Gus Malzahn - is 1 year at Ark St enough HC experience for Texas? Is he the right personality? Good offensive teams.

11)Jimbo Fisher – good young energetic coach at a big time program. Would he be the right fit?

12)Dabo Sweeney – see #11

13)Mike Gundy – don’t see him leaving his alma matter

14)Mark Dantonio – only 56 and a good D mind but has already had a heart attack so that might not be a consideration.

15)Rich Rod – has the coaching experience and very good on O. Good W-L record at WV but not a Michigan. Not too likely at Texas.

X-Factor) Jim Tressel – the sweater vest might never be considered by Texas but his W-L record was impressive.

Who would you go after? Is he on this list?

• Administrators
Thanks Mack but its now time for a change at Texas. The culture of being soft needs to change from the top down. Not practicing 1s vs 1s and thud tempo and “wind” all have to go. You have done a good job brining Texas back but as of 2010 Mack Brown is not our standard.

For those that suggest, Mack Brown absolutely can NOT be the AD at Texas. He is not ment for that job. Mack can get a nice job with LHN & make some appearances.

IF Texas were to look for a HC we would have the top choice of teams that will be looking (Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, etc). But who is really out there?

Following coaches COULD be considered if we are to hire a coach soon. (I include personality bc it matters at Texas, not according to me but according the to guys who hire). Meaning Dana Holgorsen will not be considered.

1)Nick Saban – we could offer $8-10 million/year. Probably doesn’t leave Bama. Doent have the perception that Texas would ideally like but if winning is important we go after the best and make him say ‘no.”

2)Chris Peterson – likes Austin. HC with many good years at a BCS Busters. Personality that fits Texas. Can he step up to a big time program?

3)Chip Kelly – Personality? Shadyness? Would bring excitement to Austin and a fun offense. Good coach who has already been to a title game. Would Texas even consider him?

4)Art Briles – would Texas swallow its pride to consider him? Would he Texas? Good coach with Texas ties and good offense.

5)Kirby Smart – Very good, young DC. Would Texas hire a inexperienced guy? Would Texas consider a 36 yr old without HC experience?

6)Charlie Strong – Has he done enough to really be considered? Has a few years under his belt as a HC at Louisville and has his team in top 20. Is he good enough for us?

7)Dan Mullen – Good young coach. Has MSU in top 20 right now. Seems to have enough of a personality for Texas. Can he step up at a big time program?

8)Urban Meyer – would he leave his home state of Ohio? Does he still want it bad enough? Cant argue his success.

9)Gary Patterson – we could get him if we wanted but is that the direction Texas really wants to go? Is that the best Texas can do? He has a Bcs win.

10)Gus Malzahn - is 1 year at Ark St enough HC experience for Texas? Is he the right personality? Good offensive teams.

11)Jimbo Fisher – good young energetic coach at a big time program. Would he be the right fit?

14)Mark Dantonio – only 56 and a good D mind but has already had a heart attack so that might not be a consideration.

15)Rich Rod – has the coaching experience and very good on O. Good W-L record at WV but not a Michigan. Not too likely at Texas.

X-Factor) Jim Tressel – the sweater vest might never be considered by Texas but his W-L record was impressive.

The only sure thing is this man:

nick-saban1.jpg

Only way he leaves is if we throw all the cash in Austin at him. The other guys at the top of your list are very capable and might be able to do good things with our talent.WHen you start getting to Briles and the remainder, you are setting yourself up for a break-in period. Not sure the fan base or the boosters will want to give anybody a 3 year pass to get things squared away.

Saban is the monster this conference will kill to keep out. He would have more toys and money here than any place else.

A team like Alabama in this conference quite simply destroys everyone all the time. No team in the Big 12 today stays within 21 of the Crimson Tide.

Saban would pistol whip the smirk off Bob Stoops.

• Administrators

Let's say you were forced to go with an NFL coach/former coach. Who would you pursue? Gruden? Bellichick?

Of your list above I would entertain Peterson, Saban obviously, Kirby Smart and Kelly. Kirby Smart would be an interesting consideration. Studies under Saban and is a fine defensive mind. Probably could get him without spending too much, but not sure he could yield the results we need immediately like a Saban or Kelly could do. The talent is here and a guy like Saban could turn the ship around in a year.

I know a lot of people are high on Smart but how much of Bama's D is his and how much is Saban? I am not sure of the answer and until we know that I cant choose Smart at a viable candidate.

On another Texas site i posted a poll of the same coaches listed here and got 92 votes in 6 days. These were the results. (In both polls i forgot to include Larry Fedora-UNC and Southern Miss prior to that who could be a potential candidate in a year or 2(If Mack gets that far).

Saban @ 27% – makes sense, best coach in the business right now. good chance he can go 3/4 MNC.

Petersen @ 20% – long timed rumored to succeed Mack might be the most realistic candidate.

Mack Brown @ 11% – very surprised Mack got this many votes within a week of getting his ass handed to him. maybe as a fan base a) we have come off the edge or b)we are ok with getting bent over by Ou 33% of the time we play them. wow Longhorn fans, wow!

Smart @ 10% – first and only coordinator comes a few spots higher than i would have though. Cant get Saban get his DC?

Kelly @ 8% – Best O in football. would be fun with all the talent in Tx. If he fails to win a title at Oregon in the next couple of years, you know he has to think in his mind he needs to make the next step up!

Dan Mullen & Art Briles ties @ 4% each– Both young good offensive minds that have taken perennial bottom feeders of college football to consistent winning season and are winning some recruiting battles with the big boy neighbors. Both will look to take a step up bc you cant win a title at MSU and BU, respectively. I really like both coaches and think they could really cause some noise with a big name team.

Urban Meyer and Jim Tressell @ 3% each- Meyer is at home in Ohio so i dont think he moves here though him and Mack are buds. Tressell is another of Mack's buds but i dont know how much of the big $ guys would like him. Both are better than what we have now.

Charlie Strong and Other @ 2% each - Strong i think could get an interview. Good coordinator and doing well at Louisville as a HC. Has he been there long enough and shown enough? Other i think is Gary Patterson at TCU which i did not include. He has Texas ties and could be a candidate but i dont see his personality at Texas. Texas would have to dig up a bit more about the scandal b4 they pursue.

Good ? on NFL guy. How much are these guys willing to go to Mama's house and recruit. Even at a school like Texas, we recruit by name, they have to do a lot of crap NFL guys dont.

Bill in NE runs things the way Saban does so i do like that about him. No nonsense guy. Gruden seems to enjoy his QB quiz show too much to really coach.

Chris Peterson, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh (gotta make this call), Art Briles, Will Muschamp (dangit). But not these guys; Chip is too shady. Patterson can't control his players enough. The Texas alum will hire a guy who can run the business and team. They also want a guy who will keep the players out of trouble best he can. The Longhorn brand represents too much to hire a staff member only for wins. it's a combo.

Wes, I agree, Belmont wont hire just for win bc that is not what is important to them. They want to run a business and hopefully win at the same time.

I agree with Patterson isnt a top option and Kelly probably wont be considered, even though i like him as a winning coach.

I really like Dan Mullen. Appears to be a very good coach and is winning in the Sec West and doesnt appear to be shady on the surface. He seems to have the persona that would fit at Texas. He and Mack both liked Manny as a DC, haha. He has a 27-17 record at MSU but a 12-15 record in Sec. He is 3-0 vs his rival, though its only Ole Miss.

Yeah, i understand you have to you back channel to contact Saban and Harbaugh and offer them everything we have. Make them say "No," dont assume they will. You offer them $7-$10 million per year and they have to at least think about it.

Not sure how much $ Kelly gets at UO but i think he likes it up there, not as much pressure to win there.

Meyer is from Ohio, you think he would leave? i dont and im not sure he still has that passion that you need. I know Mack/Deloss like Urban and his personality for Texas, so im sure they will feel around when they talk.

• Administrators

Kelly makes around 3 mil with incentives totaling another 1.1 mil. Oregon doesn't have the pressure the Texas HC position has so he has it pretty good up in Eugene. I know Meyer is home in Ohio but I think he would listen if Texas came knocking. Either way we get another big name HC and they will be forced to throw the $ at him. Jamail and Red McCombs might not like it when Mack goes but WINNING IS #1.

I hope winning is top priority, many times it feels like $ is more of a priority.

How many big names are out there?

Saban- would Belmont even consider him bc of his reputation?

Meyer- Mack and Urban talk frequently so im sure they will test the waters.

Dont know if Belmont considers Tressel, doubt it.