Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Take On Bob Stoops Calling It A Career (By Daniel Seahorn)

I figured this was going to be another typical Wednesday. I fully planned on being productive and getting some things accomplished around the house. That was holding true right up until I got a notification on my phone that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops was retiring and stepping down immediately.

It’s safe to say that my to-do list isn’t getting accomplished now, as I sit here and try to put my thoughts on today’s events on paper.

Like everyone else out there I was absolutely blindsided by this bit of news. There had been no whispers or discussions of Stoops considering retirement and the Sooners are coming off yet another successful season with Stoops at the helm in Norman. They recently inked Lincoln Riley to a long term deal, Baker Mayfield is returning to lead one of the best offenses in college football, and the Sooners have a Top 25 recruiting class that includes a five star offensive tackle in Brey Walker. Life is looking pretty sweet for the Sooners these days.

I say all of that to say that the timing of this all doesn’t make one lick of sense to me no matter any way I try to spin it in my mind. Is something we all aren’t aware of coming down the pipe in Norman? Stoops said in his release that this decision wasn’t healthy related, so what gives? Some are reporting that Stoops has been grooming Riley for this day for some time now, but even then why make that decision NOW? Also if I’m Oklahoma, skipping the interim tag and naming Riley the new head ball coach is a dicey proposition in my opinion. While he has been very successful as the offensive coordinator in Norman, we are talking about a guy who is about to take on his first heading coaching gig at the ripe age of 33. Being the head coach is a heck of a lot different than being the play caller, and you are giving him the keys to the kingdom at a blue blood program with zilch head coaching experience? That’s very bold.

A job like Oklahoma would no doubt attract all kinds of resumes if they opted for the interim route and a national search after the season, but then again I’m not running the show in Norman. My guess is that they have a ton of faith in Riley being able to learn on the job and be able to battle the volleys of negative recruiting that is about to be sent at him.

Speaking of recruiting, I would be lying if I said that wasn’t one of the first things that came to my mind when this news broke. Oklahoma has already suffered some hits and defections on the recruiting trail at the hands of Tom Herman and Texas, and they still have several mutual targets that are uncommitted at this time. The big question is how this is going to impact current Sooner commits and the guys they are currently after, but right now it is too early to tell as everyone is still trying to make sense of everything.

I mentioned Brey Walker earlier and while there hasn’t been anything to report between him and Texas, you can almost guarantee a phone call will be placed to gauge interest with the way Texas has been forcing Oklahoma to play defense on recruits within their borders. Many have asked about four star RB TJ Pledger previously, and despite him seeming to be out of the loop based on his initial response on Twitter, I’m not sure what Texas’ interest level is with Keaontay Ingram now in the boat.

An uncommitted prospect to keep an eye on would be four star defensive end Ronnie Perkins out of Lutheran North in St. Louis. Perkins holds a Texas offer and they recently landed another St. Louis product in Ayodele Adeoye. Perkins is a stud and is at a position of need for the Longhorns, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to push there as well.

One thing that I saw mentioned during the tweet storm was that regional schools like LSU and now Oklahoma are about to be breaking in first year head coaches and you have another in Texas A&M who could be shopping for a new head coach later this year if things don’t get turned around in short order. With the way things are trending right now for Tom Herman and Texas that puts them in an enviable position if they end up winning games this fall.

Speaking of this fall, we have gone from seeing a Tom Herman/Bob Stoops rematch in the Cotton Bowl to seeing both Texas and Oklahoma having first year head coaches making their debut in the Red River Shootout (I’m still calling it that). When is the last time that happened in the history of the rivalry? This is one hell of a plot twist on one of the best rivalries in college football.

Conference I just heard here in Oklahoma was just him saying long story short it all alighned for him at the moment. His boy is a senior and supposedly D1 caliber here in Norman and he wants to be there etc etc. like you said def ruled out health. Weird because he wanted a national championship bad. But I'll be ready to see it play out. Good write up sir.

Conference I just heard here in Oklahoma was just him saying long story short it all alighned for him at the moment. His boy is a senior and supposedly D1 caliber here in Norman and he wants to be there etc etc. like you said def ruled out health. Weird because he wanted a national championship bad. But I'll be ready to see it play out. Good write up sir.

The timing of it all just throws me off.

Why today?

Did he just wake up this morning and say "I think I'm going to retire today. "

I figured this was going to be another typical Wednesday. I fully planned on being productive and getting some things accomplished around the house. That was holding true right up until I got a notification on my phone that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops was retiring and stepping down immediately.

It’s safe to say that my to-do list isn’t getting accomplished now, as I sit here and try to put my thoughts on today’s events on paper.

I say all of that to say that the timing of this all doesn’t make one lick of sense to me no matter any way I try to spin it in my mind. Is something we all aren’t aware of coming down the pipe in Norman? Stoops said in his release that this decision wasn’t healthy related, so what gives? Some are reporting that Stoops has been grooming Riley for this day for some time now, but even then why make that decision NOW? Also if I’m Oklahoma, skipping the interim tag and naming Riley the new head ball coach is a dicey proposition in my opinion. While he has been very successful as the offensive coordinator in Norman, we are talking about a guy who is about to take on his first heading coaching gig at the ripe age of 33. Being the head coach is a heck of a lot different than being the play caller, and you are giving him the keys to the kingdom at a blue blood program with zilch head coaching experience? That’s very bold.

A job like Oklahoma would no doubt attract all kinds of resumes if they opted for the interim route and a national search after the season, but then again I’m not running the show in Norman. My guess is that they have a ton of faith in Riley being able to learn on the job and be able to battle the volleys of negative recruiting that is about to be sent at him.

You haven't been paying attention. Stoops bought a Chicago mansion a month ago. I read that's where his wife wants to live. I can't imagine why she would want to live in Chicago over Norman, Oklahoma. Especially, since they had their home burglarized a few years ago.

If he does move to Chicago then next year there is a good chance that he will have a choice between the Chicago Bears and the Notre Dame job.

Kirk Bohls said that if Herman had gone to LSU then Larry Fedora would had been the favorite. I'd rather take a chance of Riley than Fedora. Last time OU had to hire a football coach, they guy they hired didn't have any HC experience and he lasted for 18 years.

Somehow it's fitting that Mack Brown coached against Stoops every year but his first year and now Herman and Riley will be starting at the same time.

I just heard Bruce Feldman thinks he's through. He will be doing a lot of golfing. He also said Mike Stoops will be the DC. :)

Bob Stoops Bought A $2.25 Million Chicago Home A Month Ago

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/07/bob-stoops-bought-a-2-25-million-chicago-home-a-month-ago/

Chicago Bears Rumors: Could Bob Stoops be their Next Head Coach?

http://beargoggleson.com/2017/06/07/bob-stoops-next-head-coach-chicago-bears/

Maybe Stoops did buy a mansion outside chicago. I'm sure he's come up with a plan on how to live in Chicago while "not leaving Norman" as he said today on ESPN or that he's still employed by OU as as AD assistant.

Thoughts I've had on this today . . . . 

. . . . Stoops has enjoyed success in the last 4-5 years. But it was more or less paper tiger stuff. The year he beat Bama was also a year he lost to Texas. We haven't seen the dominant type OU teams in a while. . . . . 

. . . meanwhile, OU sees what Herman and Texas are doing, then they look at Bob, then they look at UT and Herman, then they look at Bob again. And they think "man, I want some of that." lol . . . Stoops does not look so great on stage with Herman . . . BUT, Lincoln Riley could be another version of Herman goes to Texas and all that has come with it. Could recruits/the program catch on fire again under such a popular offensive mastermind? . . in other words, could this simply be OU's answer to whats been Hermaning them for the past several months? . . Oh yeah, but Bob would have to cooperate with something like that. Who forces out Bob Stoops? Well, Bob Stoops? You've done it all, won it all and can't seem to replicate that success again – yet you've built quite a resume. And then there's that kid that took over in Texas who seems to have my number. Do I want to go out being Herman's biotch? I'm on top of the world right now. Why not leave it like that?

It is easier to retire than having to fire your DC who is your brother at some point in the season. Isn't Mike Stoops on the hot seat as the defensive coordinator as I seem to remember a lot of OU fans were wanting him to be replaced during the season last year. I also think that some higher ups might have started the light push for him to begin the retirement consideration so they could go ahead and lock down Riley. If that was the case I could see Bob getting pissed and saying fine why don't we just start now ...good luck and FU!  That might be a little exaggerated but I could see Bob and many other coaches doing the same thing. 

You haven't been paying attention. Stoops bought a Chicago mansion a month ago. I read that's where his wife wants to live. I can't imagine why she would want to live in Chicago over Norman, Oklahoma. Especially, since they had their home burglarized a few years ago.

If he does move to Chicago then next year there is a good chance that he will have a choice between the Chicago Bears and the Notre Dame job.

Kirk Bohls said that if Herman had gone to LSU then Larry Fedora would had been the favorite. I'd rather take a chance of Riley than Fedora. Last time OU had to hire a football coach, they guy they hired didn't have any HC experience and he lasted for 18 years.

Somehow it's fitting that Mack Brown coached against Stoops every year but his first year and now Herman and Riley will be starting at the same time.

I just heard Bruce Feldman thinks he's through. He will be doing a lot of golfing. He also said Mike Stoops will be the DC. :)

Bob Stoops Bought A $2.25 Million Chicago Home A Month Ago

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/07/bob-stoops-bought-a-2-25-million-chicago-home-a-month-ago/

Chicago Bears Rumors: Could Bob Stoops be their Next Head Coach?

http://beargoggleson.com/2017/06/07/bob-stoops-next-head-coach-chicago-bears/

I'll admit I don't pay attention closely to real estate purchases of coaches. Never had a reason to because it doesn't necessarily correlate to what they got going on.

Regardless the entire thing is just odd and out of the blue any way you slice it.

SHA there's some GREAT posters here but you my friend are at the top. That was a good write up and I can easily see that being the case. Recruiting is evolving and stoops wasn't going with it. All of you may be right on point. Fun to read this side of it because all we hear here in okie is the polar opposite. Regardless of the coach I hope we wipe the floor with them this year

I'll admit I don't pay attention closely to real estate purchases of coaches. Never had a reason to because it doesn't necessarily correlate to what they got going on.

Regardless the entire thing is just odd and out of the blue any way you slice it.

I was joking about you knowing about Stoops' buying a home in Chicago. When I saw that, I figured that he wasn't going to coach OU for much longer. I didn't think it would be this year.

It's not a surprise anymore for a college coach to quit after 18 years in one place. Mack was burnt out here after 13 years.

I think everything that has been mentioned contributed to his decision. I also believe the decision was made far earlier than yesterday. One fact I believe helps to explain the timing is his retention bonus. In his contract he receives a $700,000 "retention bonus" every June 1st that he remains the head coach. I suspect he had no intention of returning next year but carried on business as usual until that payment hit. Like he said " Now is simply the ideal time for me and our program to make this transition."

I was joking about you knowing about Stoops' buying a home in Chicago. When I saw that, I figured that he wasn't going to coach OU for much longer. I didn't think it would be this year.

It's not a surprise anymore for a college coach to quit after 18 years in one place. Mack was burnt out here after 13 years.

My sarcasm detector needs recalibrating.

I think everything that has been mentioned contributed to his decision. I also believe the decision was made far earlier than yesterday. One fact I believe helps to explain the timing is his retention bonus. In his contract he receives a $700,000 "retention bonus" every June 1st that he remains the head coach. I suspect he had no intention of returning next year but carried on business as usual until that payment hit. Like he said " Now is simply the ideal time for me and our program to make this transition."

Saw that bit about his contract late last night. Not even mad at him for getting one last pay day before walking out the door.

Big 12 banks on young guns Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman to elevate playoff profile

Bob Stoops arrived at Oklahoma in 1999, one year after Mack Brown started his run at Texas.

Either the Sooners or Longhorns would win the Big 12 South Division every year through 2010. The schools combined for nine of the next 12 conference championships in that stretch. Stoops won a national championship in 2000. Brown got his in 2005. Oklahoma won three more Big 12 championships in the current format but didn't have the same partnership with the Longhorns after Brown retired. Stoops retired on Wednesday, and now those two schools face the same scenario again.

The Big 12 needs first-year coaches Lincoln Riley, 33, and Tom Herman, 41, to somehow match what those two coaching legends pulled off to ensure the long-term health of the conference. No pressure, right?

MORE: Riley faces big first year at Oklahoma

That's not to say other programs can't have success, too. That would help. This is an opportunity for Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy, especially this year, to make a run to the College Football Playoff. Gary Patterson, who has been at TCU since 2001, is the second-longest tenured head coach in the FBS. West Virginia could make that first breakthrough under Dana Holgorsen.

Yet the depth in the conference remains shaky at best. Art Briles was fired at Baylor on May 26, 2016, and the program has a long road back under Matt Rhule. Kansas State's Bill Snyder will turn 78 in October. Iowa State's Matt Campbell, Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury and Kansas' David Beaty would take bowl bids in 2017.

That's where the Big 12 – a conference that has re-instituted a conference championship game and turned down the expansion pageant in the last year – stands now. Stoops and Brown helped usher in the BCS and kept the conference in the title hunt. The College Football Playoff era is different. Oklahoma finished 9-0 in Big 12 play and didn't make the four-team playoff in 2016. The conference also was left out after the great TCU-Baylor debate elected Ohio State as the winner in 2014.

MORE: SN's Bowl projections

How can Riley and Herman help change that? It starts with recruiting. According to 247Sports.com, the Big 12 didn't land a five-star recruit in 2017. None of the top-10 recruits in the state of Texas for the class of 2017 landed with the Longhorns or Sooners. That's the first challenge for both coaches, and Herman has addressed that with the early returns for the class of 2018. They need to turn that into first-round NFL talent.

Riley, 33, and Herman, 41, also are young, innovative minds with proven track records as offensive coordinators. Herman helped Ohio State win a national championship in 2014 before compiling a 22-4 record as a head coach at Houston. Riley brought the “Air Raid†to Norman, and has a 40-point-per-game offensive machine that produced two Heisman Trophy finalists in Baker Mayfield and Dede Westbrook last season.

Maybe these coaches really are the next big things in the FBS. They better be. Look across the rest of the Power 5 at the glam programs.

The Big Ten has Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh at its flagship programs. The SEC has Nick Saban and is throwing darts looking for a foil. The ACC has Jimbo Fisher and Dabo Swinney, and they backed that up with by hiring Mark Richt. The Pac-12 has Chris Petersen, and it looks like Clay Helton will work out, too. You need a 1-2 punch at the time. The ACC is the best example of what hiring good coaches at the top can do for a conference right away.

MORE: Five realignment scenarios

The Big 12 had that for more than a decade with Stoops and Brown, and that produced four top-five showdowns over those 15 years. The names changed, but the Red River Showdown always was a large piece in the national championship puzzle.

Will it be like that when the teams meet at the Cotton Bowl Stadium on Oct. 14? We'll have a better idea after their first tests. Riley will lead the Sooners in a showdown at Ohio State on Sept. 9. Herman takes the Longhorns to USC the following week. That will set the tone for two coaching tenures that, like it or not, are going to set the course for the Big 12's future.

Stoops and Brown are gone now. It's not fair to ask for more.

But that just might be what's expected of Riley and Herman as they settle in at those big-time jobs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/lincoln-riley-tom-herman-texas-oklahoma-big-12-college-football-playoff-future/ox6lyicfde4y1qhfqdltfjdl7

Steve Spurrier not 'shocked' by Bob Stoops retiring, Mack Brown, Tom Herman, SEC coaches react

The college football world reacted Wednesday when Bob Stoops announced he was retiring as coach of the Oklahoma Sooners.

Stoops, 56, collected the 2000 national title over Florida State and won 10 Big 12 titles, including the last two, as the Sooners' coach over the past 18 years.

To understand the magnitude of the announce, one only need look at the number of "statements" released from college coaches across the country.

"Coach Stoops' record of success and his legacy at Oklahoma are well-documented and firmly established," Texas coach Tom Herman said. "I was a young graduate assistant at Texas when he took over at Oklahoma. At the time, they were struggling, and he changed that in a hurry. He was driven, passionate and determined to build something great, and he did so at an extremely high level for a long, long time.

"He'll be sorely missed at Oklahoma, in the Big 12 and on the landscape of college football."

Even his players were surprised by the announcement.

"Just taken aback, shocked," Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield said. "Coach Stoops, when I was growing up, was always the face of Oklahoma football. To see him stepping down was a shock to all of us."

Texas, a huge rival to the Sooners, obviously, threw nothing but respect at Stoops.

"Bob did a tremendous job turning things around at Oklahoma and putting their program back in national prominence. Our rivalry game became a focal point of college football every year and was great for both schools, the Big 12 and college football as a whole," former Texas coach Mack Brown said in a statement. "He leaves Oklahoma with a long track record of success and will be remembered as a Sooner legend. I wish him the best."

Former Florida coach Steve Spurrier, who hired Bob Stoops as the Gators' defensive coordinator in 1996, also issued a statement.

"It was a surprise but not a complete shock," Spurrier said. "Bobby always indicated he wasn't going to coach forever. There is life after coaching, and once he decided the time was right, he was going to move on. He wanted to go out at the right time and he feels good about where the program is right now.

"He has left a good team for Lincoln Riley and the Oklahoma program."

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops took to Twitter to say his brother's resume speaks for itself.

"Bob truly represents what is good about college football and the success of his career speaks for itself. What he means to me as a brother and a coach is immeasurable. I wish Bob, Carol and the kids the very best as he moves into the next phase of his life."

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, who worked under Stoops at Oklahoma from 2003-07, looks to Stoops as a mentor.

"Bob is a tremendous mentor to so many players and coaches, including myself," he said per 247 Sports. "Not only is he a great mentor to me, but he and his wife, Carol, have been great friends to Char and I for many years. His success and longevity speak for themselves. He will be a success in whatever he pursues. We wish Bob and his family the very best."

The 56-year-old Stoops was the longest-tenured active coach in major college football, taking the job at Oklahoma a day before Kirk Ferentz started at Iowa. He went 190-48 (.798) at Oklahoma in his only college head-coaching job, giving him more victories than Sooners greats Barry Switzer (157) and Bud Wilkinson (145).

Stoops will stay on as a special assistant to the athletic director.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/steve_spurrier_not_shocked_of.html

Most of my opinions are fogged by the burnt orange glasses I consistently wear.  But the suggestion that Bob Stoops factored Tom Herman beating him in a couple of recruiting battles to his decision to retire after 18 years is a bit incredible. 

I sports hated Stoops for 17 years (didn't mind him so much after year 1).  He put a couple of the worst beatings on us in the history of the Red River Rivalry and then smugly took post game shots about the hype Texas gets for recruiting.  I would have loved nothing more than seeing Herman own Stoopsy in a similar fashion that Stoops owned our beloved Mack Brown.  There is no sports love loss here for Bob Stoops or his bombastic little brother.  But lets not get pulled off-sides by recruiting victories in the offseason.  Sure they are nice, but I hardly think they factored into a life decision for a coach that went 11-7 against Texas while Texas out recruited him for most of those years.