Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
BevoBlake

Thoughts on "T-Shirt" Fans

Maybe I should use the term "un-affiliated". 

I've been at a little bit of a cross-roads as of late with my fan-hood. Like many, I'm not blessed with the amazing "Alumni" status of Texas' great University. I come from a pretty big family and we didn't really have much money. I made the decision to enter the workforce immediately upon graduating from High School. At the time, I felt it was best to eliminate any necessity for my parents (as wonderful and hardworking as they are) to continue supporting me financially. I'd work full time jobs and then after work, I'd work in internship programs. At eighteen I was putting in anywhere from a 60-80 hour work week. It instilled a really great work ethic in me and because of that, I've been able to support my family on a single income and have seen a pretty steady rise in my industry. We're trying to buy a house right now actually.

That said, I still have regrets that I didn't go to college and try to find a work/education balance. It was my dream to attend the University of Texas. At the time, I wanted nothing more than to be a part of Texas' RTF Program. I had aspirations of going into Sports Broadcasting. My dad was always a huge Longhorn fan. Football was one of the things we really bonded over. I remember being inches away from the television for "Roll Left". I remember watching all forty-four of Ricky's carries against A&M, breaking Texas' rushing record. I remember Simms going down against Colorado and Vince exacting our revenge years later. I still think that Derrick Johnson batting the ball out of White's arms is the coolest fumble I've ever seen. I don't know that I'll ever experience another sports moment like 4th and 5 or Tucker sealing A&M's exit. I'll never hear the term "We'll be back" and not think about topping Michigan.

One of my greatest memories was the mind-blowing chance to sit down and talk football with Mack Brown when he was recruiting Snead. I'll always hold Mack in high regard for that. I think I knew then that the ten minute conversation I got to have with him in that High School hallway was the closest I'd get to feeling like a part of UT. But the fact remains, I'm not in any fashion, a member of the University of Texas. It was easier to justify my fan-hood in the closing year's of Mack's tenure and the entire tenure of Strong. We were losing and I still wasn't missing a down. I could tell you the name of every position coach and each recruit we were talking too. I had a subscription with every Texas Football pay-site until HornSports became my home.

But lately I've just been feeling a disconnect. Maybe because I know what is coming. Texas is going to win. They're going to win a lot. I'll go from being one of those non-alumni, defending and watching the ever loving crap out of this program, to one of thousands cheering for a team that I can't claim a legitimized connection too. That is just how sports work. Maybe it's because I've been exploring the opportunity to go to college finally and I'm recognizing that the University won't be Texas. Or maybe as I'm approaching thirty, I'm realizing that there has been a generation of Texas alumni since I graduated. But I've been feeling as if I haven't really "earned" it. I won't get to celebrate in the same fashion as many of the wonderful personalities on this board. Which kind of stinks as I hold the Longhorns as high (if not higher) than my fandom for the Rangers, Cowboys, Mavs and Stars. I guess I'm just curious. What are your thoughts on "t-shirt fans" as A&M and other fan-bases like to call us? What are your thoughts on being a fan of a college in which you didn't attend?

I attended and failed two semesters at Pan Am. Moved to Austin at the age of 19 and haven't quit working since. I also wish I would have been able to go to UT. As we toured the campus last year with my girls it hit a chord with me. I was jealous of my girls getting the opportunity to go to UT. I have been a fan since I was young, and even though I never attended UT, by the time my two girls graduate I will have invested more money into the university then most alumni have. But I still feel left out when all these alumni talk about their time there.

I attended and failed two semesters at Pan Am. Moved to Austin at the age of 19 and haven't quit working since. I also wish I would have been able to go to UT. As we toured the campus last year with my girls it hit a chord with me. I was jealous of my girls getting the opportunity to go to UT. I have been a fan since I was young, and even though I never attended UT, by the time my two girls graduate I will have invested more money into the university then most alumni have. But I still feel left out when all these alumni talk about their time there.

I'd say you have more and earned your keep. Your daughters will give you that affiliation thing I was talking about. Awesome that you've given your children an opportunity that you didn't have.

Doesn't bother me a bit that I and my entire family are huge fans of Texas even though none of us attended Texas. 

It's a complete non-issue. 

That's great, I should probably feel the same. Just kind of a weird "attendance-superiority" thing I've been seeing and experiencing as of late.

It's a big umbrella. Don't take yourself out from under it.

I hear that.

The t- shirt fan moniker is the dumbest thing ever. You mentioned that you were a fan of all the Dallas-based pro teams. Did you play for any of them? Nope, but you are still allowed to be a fan. Why some people feel that you must attend the school to be a legitimate fan of it is ridiculous. You can't help who you fall in love with (person or in this case University) Keep on doing your thing Blake.

The t- shirt fan moniker is the dumbest thing ever. You mentioned that you were a fan of all the Dallas-based pro teams. Did you play for any of them? Nope, but you are still allowed to be a fan. Why some people feel that you must attend the school to be a legitimate fan of it is ridiculous. You can't help who you fall in love with (person or in this case University) Keep on doing your thing Blake.

The t-shirt fan moniker was created by aggy to explain their comparative unpopularity to The University and our athletic program. Like most things aggy, it was poorly thought out and unintentionally gave themselves yet another self-inflicted wound. Classic aggy dumbassery...don't ever change. 

f aggy...and you're welcome to affiliate yourself to UT, Blake, you've earned it! Not that you need affirmation from me or any other alumnus. Hook 'Em!

Maybe I should use the term "un-affiliated". 

I've been at a little bit of a cross-roads as of late with my fan-hood. Like many, I'm not blessed with the amazing "Alumni" status of Texas' great University. I come from a pretty big family and we didn't really have much money. I made the decision to enter the workforce immediately upon graduating from High School. At the time, I felt it was best to eliminate any necessity for my parents (as wonderful and hardworking as they are) to continue supporting me financially. I'd work full time jobs and then after work, I'd work in internship programs. At eighteen I was putting in anywhere from a 60-80 hour work week. It instilled a really great work ethic in me and because of that, I've been able to support my family on a single income and have seen a pretty steady rise in my industry. We're trying to buy a house right now actually.

That said, I still have regrets that I didn't go to college and try to find a work/education balance. It was my dream to attend the University of Texas. At the time, I wanted nothing more than to be a part of Texas' RTF Program. I had aspirations of going into Sports Broadcasting. My dad was always a huge Longhorn fan. Football was one of the things we really bonded over. I remember being inches away from the television for "Roll Left". I remember watching all forty-four of Ricky's carries against A&M, breaking Texas' rushing record. I remember Simms going down against Colorado and Vince exacting our revenge years later. I still think that Derrick Johnson batting the ball out of White's arms is the coolest fumble I've ever seen. I don't know that I'll ever experience another sports moment like 4th and 5 or Tucker sealing A&M's exit. I'll never hear the term "We'll be back" and not think about topping Michigan.

One of my greatest memories was the mind-blowing chance to sit down and talk football with Mack Brown when he was recruiting Snead. I'll always hold Mack in high regard for that. I think I knew then that the ten minute conversation I got to have with him in that High School hallway was the closest I'd get to feeling like a part of UT. But the fact remains, I'm not in any fashion, a member of the University of Texas. It was easier to justify my fan-hood in the closing year's of Mack's tenure and the entire tenure of Strong. We were losing and I still wasn't missing a down. I could tell you the name of every position coach and each recruit we were talking too. I had a subscription with every Texas Football pay-site until HornSports became my home.

But lately I've just been feeling a disconnect. Maybe because I know what is coming. Texas is going to win. They're going to win a lot. I'll go from being one of those non-alumni, defending and watching the ever loving crap out of this program, to one of thousands cheering for a team that I can't claim a legitimized connection too. That is just how sports work. Maybe it's because I've been exploring the opportunity to go to college finally and I'm recognizing that the University won't be Texas. Or maybe as I'm approaching thirty, I'm realizing that there has been a generation of Texas alumni since I graduated. But I've been feeling as if I haven't really "earned" it. I won't get to celebrate in the same fashion as many of the wonderful personalities on this board. Which kind of stinks as I hold the Longhorns as high (if not higher) than my fandom for the Rangers, Cowboys, Mavs and Stars. I guess I'm just curious. What are your thoughts on "t-shirt fans" as A&M and other fan-bases like to call us? What are your thoughts on being a fan of a college in which you didn't attend?

Blake, I actually became a fan of The University of Texas when as an 8th grader our FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) group attended a game against SMU at the Cotton Bowl.  From the moment I saw Gardere and Hadnot play I KNEW that I would some day not only attend the university but also play football for The Horns. As fate would have it, I never attended. When coming out of high school (while not the supreme football athlete I thought I would be, I did have the 3rd fastest time in the state in the 800m and hoped I could earn a track scholarship).  That didn't happen either and while I was accepted to UT (I was top 10% ,National Honor Society and graduated cum laude) I just couldn't afford attendance. Texas Tech provided a lower tuition, More scholarship money, and an opportunity to walk on their track team.  So that's where I began my college adventure before transferring after 2 years to Southeastern Oklahoma State University. After a year there my girlfriend and future ex wife had my oldest daughter so I quit school and entered the workforce. My daughter, oddly enough, is attending Tech this fall as she wasn't accepted into UT.  But like her dad she maintains that she'll be a Longhorn fan while attending Texas Tech.  It's still actually a dream of mine to attend UT.  Perhaps after my youngest graduates high school in a couple of years I'll relocate to Austin and, Lord willing, finish my degree.  I guess I told that long a$$ story to basically say that I completely understand where you're coming from and how you feel.  But you know what?  F THAT!  We're fans!  And have spent plenty of time energy and money behind all things Longhorn related.  And it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.  I love rooting for this university.  And that's that!  HOOK 'EM!!!  \\m//

P.S.

I'm also a fan of the Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers and Stars.  And even caught myself watching a the WNBA Dallas Wings last night

There are alumni at every school who aren't even fans of their own teams.

The two are not necessarily intertwined, but do have great influence on the other.

My parents influenced me to be a Longhorn fan early on because they were.  They actually went to Lamar U. Mom went to HS with Steve Worster, was part of it I think. I went to UT and am now paying for my oldest daughter to go.  I expect very strongly starting next year I'll also be paying for my youngest to go as well as she graduates high school.  We were all brainwashed early. 

I'd argue that I became an alum BECAUSE I was a fan of athletics first.  Not the other way around. I'm not alone. It would have been really difficult for me to go anywhere else after all the shit I talked and took throughout my teens. I see above, like my parents, some who were "just fans" are now sending kids to UT.  That's why intercollegiate athletics is BIG BUCKS BUSINESS!  The impact it has on national appeal and tuition and enrollment increases.

Buy the T-shirt, Yell your ass off and send your kid.  I'm no bigger fan than you or my parents BECAUSE I'm an alum.  I'm an alum because I was first a fan.

Blake, after graduating, I actually had the opportunity to go to UT as my older brother did when I was accepted. However, I also was accepted into a program at UT Pan Am that conditionally guaranteed me a spot in med school. So, I stayed home and graduated from Pan Am because it was close to home, cheaper, and would help me with my future aspirations. There are times I regret not going to UT, although I would probably make the same choice again given that it set me up for where I am now. Now, although I will root for UTRGV (the new name for my alma mater) when we play UT in baseball every year, I bleed Burnt Orange for the other 364 days of the year. I remember watching UT vs LSU in the cotton bowl in the early 2000s, idolizing Roy Williams, Derrick Johnson, and Cedric Benson, watching Vince dominate the field, being happier when Dusty Mangum made the FG against Michigan than when it snowed for the first time in 100 years in the RGVa few days earlier, waiting 6 hours in line at DKR to get autographs from the team, finally being able to attend my first UT game at the Alamo Bowl against Iowa, and I could talk about countless other memories across all UT sports. I love the University, what it stands for, and how we represent it. Having graduated from another school won't stop me from being a fan of the school/team I grew up loving.

Funnily enough, my mom's family are actually all A&M fans... My uncle walked onto A&M and played special teams on their "12th man" Kickoff coverage team, was featured in SI, and all that jazz. So there are baby pictures of me in A&M gear (yea, I know 🤢). That lasted until I got old enough to watch a game on my own, flipped on a UT game, fell in love, and, as they say, the rest is history. I have no problem telling people that I graduated from UTPA and not UT, but I also have no problem telling that I'm rooting for UT no matter what, through the ups and downs, always. (Unless they're playing UTRGV. GO VAQUEROS! âœŒï¸ lol)

I appreciate all of the input on this. I think it's just been a weird transition between recognizing I'm getting older, attempting to go back to school and etc. Here's to hoping Texas will give some consideration to an online program. Short list right now is looking WSU (Wash St.), Appalach. St, or UT Permian Basin.

My wife has 3 degrees from UT Austin including an MBA. My lone degree is from West Texas State University. I became a Longhorn fan when UT played Syracuse in the Cotton Bowl ( long before Mrs. Dillo even watched football of any kind ).  

I appreciate all of the input on this. I think it's just been a weird transition between recognizing I'm getting older, attempting to go back to school and etc. Here's to hoping Texas will give some consideration to an online program. Short list right now is looking WSU (Wash St.), Appalach. St, or UT Permian Basin.

Just don't freak out and buy a midlife crisis corvette.

The t-shirt fan moniker was created by aggy to explain their comparative unpopularity to The University and our athletic program. Like most things aggy, it was poorly thought out and unintentionally gave themselves yet another self-inflicted wound. Classic aggy dumbassery...don't ever change. 

f aggy...and you're welcome to affiliate yourself to UT, Blake, you've earned it! Not that you need affirmation from me or any other alumnus. Hook 'Em!

As JB said, . . . .you are a fan, not an alumnus.

2 different animals.

Just to add a little to this.

Been a Longhorn fan since I was a little kid back in the late 50's. Got to go to several Cotton Bowl games in the early 60's and even got to go in the locker room after one game thanks to Joe Dixon who went to high school with one of my cousins. Got his chin strap and sweat bands and met numerous players. My brother and I even snuck on the field prior to one Cotton Bowl game and watched the entire first half from there. Was at both Texas/Notre Dame Cotton Bowl games. 

Now I did graduate from East Texas State in 1973. Even got the letter from them a few year ago wanting to know if I wanted a new diploma since it was now a&m at Commerce. Politely told them not only NO but HELL NO!

I make sure everyone in our golf group knows that I have 3 favorite teams. The Longhorns, whoever is play a&m, and whoever is playing Okie. 

My wife has 3 degrees from UT Austin including an MBA. My lone degree is from West Texas State University. I became a Longhorn fan when UT played Syracuse in the Cotton Bowl ( long before Mrs. Dillo even watched football of any kind ).  

My mom and dad were going to that game until I threw up at the breakfast table that morning. My brother got to go with our dad. Mom wasn't too happy with me. 

My mom and dad were going to that game until I threw up at the breakfast table that morning. My brother got to go with our dad. Mom wasn't too happy with me. 

I sat on the living room floor with my dad and watched it. I was hooked.

Bevoblake

T-shirt fan was created by the f##ktard sheep humping trash we know as aggys. They created it because no one wants to be a fan of that terrible cult infested POS university. Don't use the term it just gives the aggy trash legitimacy. All fans of the Texas Longhorns are welcome.... Gald you're here.

MB

Texas alum...

Bevoblake

T-shirt fan was created by the f##ktard sheep humping trash we know as aggys. They created it because no one wants to be a fan of that terrible cult infested POS university. Don't use the term it just gives the aggy trash legitimacy. All fans of the Texas Longhorns are welcome.... Gald you're here.

MB

Texas alum...

This is the correct answer.

The reason I went to Texas is my dad was a huge fan. Not an alum. He had a football scholarship to SFA. He was good enough to make their Hall of Honor and get drafted in 1952.

He was an East Texas kid and in his era there was no pro football in Texas. The SWC was king. A HS teammate of his went to Texas and later the NFL. Dad became more and more a fan of UT and by his late 20's, he was a full blown UT 't-shirt' fan.

By the time I came around and became aware of sports, I just assumed UT was who you rooted for. For some reason, a pennant from the 1969 NC season survived and hangs in my study still today.

That's a long way of saying this Longhorn wouldn't have gone to Texas if he's 'tshirt' fan Dad hadn't made it possible. Anybody who derides fans without diplomas as lesser fans can kiss my ass.