Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
okiehorn

Off topic, question for the Texas folks

Anyone here live in the Wharton tx area? There's a job there in my field and kinda kicking it around to apply. Shows to be 2 1/2 hrs from Austin which would be a dream of mine for some season tickets. As I'm

From Oklahoma I have no idea about areas in Texas so figure this wouldn't be a bad place to ask. Thanks

Anyone here live in the Wharton tx area? There's a job there in my field and kinda kicking it around to apply. Shows to be 2 1/2 hrs from Austin which would be a dream of mine for some season tickets. As I'm

From Oklahoma I have no idea about areas in Texas so figure this wouldn't be a bad place to ask. Thanks

Wharton is in the coastal plain where some timber starts appearing. It's small, a little hokey. Okay, a lot hokey. But its not a bad location being close to Houston, Austin, San Antonio and all points in between (including BBQ alley, fertile hill country hunting grounds, NFL football, NBA basketball, and the Stros). Oh yea, I think there are Chupacabras there. Could be fun.

On a landscaping note, most of the sod we see in DFW and Austin comes from the Wharton and Brenham areas.

Only thing that makes Wharton still a viable community is Wharton County Jr. College.  Much of Wharton has changed since the 60;s and the 70:s.  There are still many good people in Wharton, but it is truly not the great community that it once was.

Okiehorn, The June issue of Texas Highways magazine has a 6 page article about Wharton! Look for it; you'll enjoy!  I grew up in Wharton and it was a great place to grow up, but the town was more vibrant at the time and much more economically sound with the farming and ranchng, oil production and Texas Gulf Sulphur Company.  Also was an extension of the Houston Medical System, having 2 major hospitals with some very sound and professional doctors.  Don't think todays medical system in Wharton is the greatest and most of the merchants and business or yesteryear are no longer to be found.  Just do your research so you can formulate a decision that is best for you and your family.

Okiehorn, The June issue of Texas Highways magazine has a 6 page article about Wharton! Look for it; you'll enjoy! I grew up in Wharton and it was a great place to grow up, but the town was more vibrant at the time and much more economically sound with the farming and ranchng, oil production and Texas Gulf Sulphur Company. Also was an extension of the Houston Medical System, having 2 major hospitals with some very sound and professional doctors. Don't think todays medical system in Wharton is the greatest and most of the merchants and business or yesteryear are no longer to be found. Just do your research so you can formulate a decision that is best for you and your family.

Thank you very much! I'll will def be on the look out for it. We are from a small town

Here in Oklahoma and kinda looking for the same type atmosphere elseware and the high school football "religion" in Texas has always been something I have wanted to experience. My only criteria is it has to be within manageable driving distance to Austin so I can get season tickets to watch the good guys play . That would be icing on the cake.

Thank you very much! I'll will def be on the look out for it. We are from a small town

Here in Oklahoma and kinda looking for the same type atmosphere elseware and the high school football "religion" in Texas has always been something I have wanted to experience. My only criteria is it has to be within manageable driving distance to Austin so I can get season tickets to watch the good guys play . That would be icing on the cake.

You might consider giving East Bernard, Texas honest consideration.

I will be looking that up tonight. See if there's a plant near. Thanks!

Okie, Lone Star Steel, just north of Longview, is about to crank back up. FYI. US Steel (who owns it) announced this a couple weeks back.

I expect the coal plants will be making a comeback in the near future, too. There are several in East Texas.

Yes I agree, you can't just shut coal out. To much of our generation comes from those facilities. I'll check out US steels site. Glad I posted this.

Ps. Looked up East Bernard and looks like there beast in football judging their records in recent years on max preps.