Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's wrong with Texas?

Coach_B

I haven't sat down and written an article in some time now, but after watching this Texas program the last couple weeks I feel it's time for me to set aside some time and write.

This program isn't in terrible shape by any means, but it is in serious jeopardy of moving into the second tier of major Divison 1 football programs. If you don't think this program is at a cross roads, just take a look at how the Texas coaches have changed their recruiting practices. They have now offered another JUCO player and are actively scouring the JUCO ranks to find immediate help because the coaching staff knows the window is closing and if they don't get it fixed sooner than later, this program will move into irrelevancy. Texas never had to recruit JUCO kids, it always could hand pick who they wanted. Oh how the landscape has changed in 3 years when your program has become just a shade above mediocre.

Texas is now 2-7 at home vs Big 12 opponents since 2010 and have lost seven straight vs Top 10 opponents. This isn't settling well with an already finicky fan base, but more importantly, it isn't settling well with some of its "investors".

I spoke with a few "investors" last night and today about the state of the Texas football program and the one thing that kept coming back in my conversations is there is major disappointment and they feel like they are not getting a return on their investment and if they don't start seeing the results they are expecting then as they put it, "something will change; either with their future investing or a change in another place" which I infer meaning that the seat that the current head coach sits in will begin to heat up. As one "investor" stated, "The gloss of that National Title has lost its shine and the head coach has used up a lot of those chips he has collected. These last couple years have cost this program and we are heading to a point of no return. It's getting to be put up or shut up time for the program."

I have argued for a year now that Mack allowed this program to get to this point because he was ready to step down after the 2009 season, but the loss in the National Title Game vs Alabama changed that thinking, but the downward spiral had already been set in place.

So we sit here with a Texas team that's 4-1 (1-1 Big 12) heading into their game vs hated rival #10 Oklahoma with HUGE question marks about the defense that can't cover anyone, can't tackle anyone and hasn't stopped the run in weeks. This team isn't very good on defense and if it weren't for a blown call in Stillwater, they could be 3-2 and sitting 0-2 in the conference. The offense has been outstanding and David Ash is the clear leader of that offense, but if you score 45 points and lose games, you are in for a long season. There is only 1 game left on the schedule that is a sure thing and that's @Kansas, but OU in Dallas, vs Baylor, @Tech, vs Iowa St, vs TCU and @K-State; Texas finds itself in a tough battle if its defense can't get fixed with them easily looking at a 4-3 finish and 8-4 once again.

Is that progress?

Ask the fans and the money people and they will tell you NO!

This will be an interesting 7 game stretch for Mack and his staff; it could be a career defining stretch.

Coach B

Gotta say after the OU debacle you pretty much nailed it..I put them in the same place as ND was a couple of years back.

The only disagreement I have is you over valued the offense. I have been watching Ash all season over throw or under throw receivers. The guy is just not accurate on any passes down the field. I know it was mop up but McCoy threw two passes I have not seen Ash make all season.

Today it all caught up with Texas. OU, as usual, exposed this team as soft on offense, defense and coaching. They made Landry Jones look like a sure fire number one pick. I just don't think you recover from this kind of loss.

I don't care about emotions running high. What I want to know is why this dude comes on a message board and drops the F bomb on me because I wrote a topic on Texas. I know Yoda has written a lot of stuff and regardless if I agree or not with what he says, I won't disrespect him for writing it.

bbdude, what do u mean nobody expected anything until 2013? i did. I hope we as a fan base at a university of Texas have a standard that we cant get manhandled on a consistent basis by our rival. I expected a 10 win season and Big 12 title contender this year. If many coaches can win MNC in 2 years we can contend for a conf title in second year after over hall.

I have expectations and this coaching staff is not it.

and according to your expectations, how do u feel about 2013?

• Administrators
bbdude, what do u mean nobody expected anything until 2013? i did. I hope we as a fan base at a university of Texas have a standard that we cant get manhandled on a consistent basis by our rival. I expected a 10 win season and Big 12 title contender this year. If many coaches can win MNC in 2 years we can contend for a conf title in second year after over hall.

I have expectations and this coaching staff is not it.

and according to your expectations, how do u feel about 2013?

Contractor,

My main point was with respect to the offense, particularly Ash's performance. The standard for Texas football is to compete for a national championship every year. BUT, we have to be realistic. Looking from last year into this year in the off-season, I don't think anyone could have claimed they honestly thought Texas would compete for a national championship this season. Progress was expected above and beyond the 8 win mark. Maybe 9 wins or 10 wins and a BCS berth - I think most, if not all fans would consider this a successful season.

I thought the '13 & '14 years would be national title type of years for Texas. Years where we could count on the growth and development of the team to be in place to take us to the promised land. Ash has the tools and our running backs are of no concern, but the defense is the iffy variable. We lose Vaccaro who is our best in the secondary and then we are left with a handful of guys that have a load of potential but seemes to forget all fundamentals this season. I have heard from a source that Jeffcoat is as good as gone to the NFL, and Okafor is graduating. Hicks might stay next year only because he has had consecutive seasons with injury.

Swoopes comes in next season and my guess is he redshirts. A lot of things come into play with his arrival - he is the future of this program for the next 5 years.

i did not expect MNC this year and i dont think expecting that every year is realistic. I think 2013 was more realistic for MNC talk but i clearly though we would be Big 12 title contenders this year. I dont think our schedule is that tough and i dont think Ou is that good. We just suck from the top down. I though this year we could go 10-2/11-1 and be a top 5-12 team.

I personally feel Ash is where i expected him. If you are going to start at QB in a big conference you have to mature they way he has or its not for you. I expected progress with our OL and WRs. We all didnt expect to have the worst D we have every seen in Austin. I hope we all agree that things must change soon.

• Administrators

This OU game was the worse possible display of both sides of the ball you could ever imagine.

Lou Holtz said that this Texas defense is the worst defense in the history of Division 1 (state of Texas) football. I cannot say I disagree, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

If Texas loses to Baylor, which I am calling now, Texas administration officials need to pushed. Texas easily could be 0-3 in conference right now. Baylor has the #1 ranked offense in the country coming to Austin and on top of that, it's being Nationally televised on ABC at 7.

• Administrators

This team better find a way to equal last year's win total or else we can be assured of a revolt. We win only 6 games and we are the laughing stock of the country.

With the rash of injuries, the remaining 6 games look like an uphill battle for sure. Let's see how bad our guys want it.

This team better find a way to equal last year's win total or else we can be assured of a revolt. We win only 6 games and we are the laughing stock of the country.

With the rash of injuries, the remaining 6 games look like an uphill battle for sure. Let's see how bad our guys want it.

Matters not..we are already the laughing stock of Texas.

Oct 20 Baylor...................Win

Oct 27 @Kansas...............Win

Nov 3 @Texas Tech.................Loss

Nov 10 Iowa St.................Loss

Nov 22 TCU.....................LOss

Dec 1 @Kansas St...................Loss

Record... 6-6

Mack takes this team to Shreveport and lose to La Tech..

Realistically, do many of you want to win 7-8 games this year?

In, 2010 after the Baylor game i was not really hoping for our team to win bc we needed change. Sadly we might be in the same place again. We need a change and if we finish with 8-9 wins, somehow, Mack, Deloss and the $ will think everything is fine. I am at a point that even if we go 9-3, i want change.

I think we will win vs Bu, Kansas and Tcu. The others are toss ups and Kst doesnt look good.

• Administrators

We know Tech will dink and dunk us and K-State is going to be tough. I think we can win the others. Hell, we're only 4-2 right now. I will agree that the program leadership hs become stale and the buck stops with Mack (and DeLoss). I would be in favor of a coaching change, BUT ONLY IF THE FIT IS RIGHT. I don't want some crappy hire with potential, I want a whopper. SABAN, SPURRIER, ......