Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Sunday chat

Good afternoon, folks! This week we are going to test out how a Sunday works for our weekly chat. 

Yesterday, the 2017 NFL Draft concluded. Several Longhorns and ex-Longhorns were either selected or signed as an UDFA (undrafted free agent). Here is a list of those players: 

D'onta Foreman - 3rd round, Houston Texans

Adrian Colbert (Miami) - 7th round, San Fransisco 49ers

Tyrone Swoopes - UDFA, Seattle Seahawks

Paul Boyette - UDFA, Oakland Raiders

Kent Perkins - UDFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Caleb Bluiett - UDFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

*Dylan Haines was invited to tryout for the Houston Texans and NY Jets this coming week. Best of luck, Dylan. 

What are your thoughts on the draft?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In other news, Tom Herman continues to hit the recruiting trail hard. This time, it appears as if he is going for a third quarterback. The kicker? He won't enroll until 2020. Tanner McKee, the No. 5 pro style QB in the country, will make an unofficial visit to Texas this week. The Corona, CA native will be taking a 2-year mission trip directly after he graduates high school, and will join the team he commits to after he is done. Although his commitment isn't technically binding, most kids that take mission trips stick to the school they choose. Texas pledge Casey Thompson had some thoughts to get out on Twitter last night about the elephant in the room as well: 

Casey also addressed the McKee situation, which can be seen in the comment section

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What are your thoughts on this Sunday? Lastly, I need everyone that has a say to answer the question: what day works best for you in regards to having a staff chat? We here at HornSports want whatever is convenient for you. Whether it's on the weekend, on Friday, or even a weekday, we are curious to hear your thoughts. 

Any other recruiting, baseball, or basketball questions? Shoot them our way. We will be in and out all day. Thank you for your continued support of HornSports. Hook 'Em!

Baseball gets the sweep at Oklahoma St. this weekend. With today's game again cancelled due to rain, Texas heads back to Austin with a 2-0 sweep. I'll take it. Solid weekend for RPI for the Horns.

How many wins do you think Texas needs to get into the tournament?

How many wins do you think Texas needs to get into the tournament?

For a good seed, 33-35. I think Texas can get in with less than that though. The trade off is going to be where the committee sends them to play.

Currently Texas sits at 30-16, with 8 to play. Texas must win their two remaining Tuesday games vs UTA & Incarnate Word. Series at TCU next weekend is big, as is the finale vs WVU at the Disch.

I'm fully expecting during the Herman era that every Texas class he signs (outside of 17) will be a 25 sized class between attrison and Early draft kids this Will become the norm

Anyone on commitment watch? I know you never know with this staff and anything can happen at anytime, but have you guys heard anything in the pipeline?

I think there could be a couple guys. Texas is certainly in a good position with McKee, even though Stanford currently holds all of his CB predictions. BJ Foster is another one that has been on the radar for a while. It's more a matter of when he wants to announce. Lastly, you have someone like Jaqualyn Crawford. I think he could announce his decision soon, and it appears Texas is in a good position there

Harrison- 2 part question.. what's your "magic" number Herman must reach to say this was a success.

Also how do you rank the top 5 schools in big 12 this year... I personally believe OU is over rated, to lose 2 great RB and award winning WR, that's hard to replace. Thoughts? I got the pokes as the leading favorite for he conference.

Harrison- 2 part question.. what's your "magic" number Herman must reach to say this was a success.

Also how do you rank the top 5 schools in big 12 this year... I personally believe OU is over rated, to lose 2 great RB and award winning WR, that's hard to replace. Thoughts? I got the pokes as the leading favorite for he conference.

Great questions.

1. This is a tough one because we don't know attrition numbers yet. I would say, as of now, ~22 would be a good number for the class. It could go up depending on how many players transfer.

2. I like your OSU pick. As kids my age says, Gundy has "the juice." He gets the most out of his guys every day. Although OU lost, Westbrook, Perine and Mixon, I can't count them out yet. Stoops is always compeitive for the conference title. For some reason, he just can't do much past that.

That air raid offense really does put up the points.

The way they were hitting today made Mike Leach mad that there was a run rule in place. ;)

Also of note, with 8 games remaining, and 6 of those being conference games, Texas finds itself 2.5 games out of first place in the Big12. The Horns control their own post-season destiny at this point.