Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

El Mahico's thoughts on TEXAS/Herman

echeese

One of the posters on OB and elsewhere shared some of his thoughts.   While he was at TEXAS, he was part of a group that had access to the players and staff.   That group continues to stay in touch and provides him with an insight from a different perspective than say a booster or friend of a coach or even a player's parent (the usual "sources" for our "insiders")  

Since he is not on staff, I don't consider this premium content and sent him an email to "clear" it being posted elsewhere.

Back when I was at Texas I was lucky enough to have had a roommate for 4 years that not only had serious connections to the school i loved but also shared the same passion for UT football that I did. That love for football and amazing family ties gave me the kind of access at a young age that I never dreamt possible. But just as important, we both arrived at Texas about the same time Mack Brown did so we could not have timed it better and certainly got used to a standard of football that quite frankly was the exception rather than the rule around these parts at times.

I remember the first time I heard Mack speak in front of the team. The energy and passion that came from him especially early on in his career was something that this program needed. He also commanded respect. To say he "got it" was a huge understatement. Not only did he lean on some of the greats from Texas' past to make sure he understood what this place was about, he brought a much needed outsider's perspective on what it took to build a top program, something that was certainly missing around the 40 before he arrived. Flash forward to 2017 and the people around the program that know better can see some of the same things that made them think Mack was the right guy for Texas right off the bat. Could you pick two better coaches to have worked under than Mack Brown and Urban Myer?

"One of the aspects about Tom Herman's plan that seems to be evident is that he's not asking for the moon from his players and staff and even his administration. He looks at Texas and he sees a program that hasn't had any type of plan in what it's trying to do. Not in recruiting or in scheme or with facilities and it's been going on for a while. Texas was stale and confused. Not tough enough. To see a young head coach that probably should be pinching himself a little bit right about now come in and point out deficiencies with the facilities during his first month of being hired is something you just don't see from any newly hired coach much less a guy who's basically been handed his dream job at 41 years old. He doesn't have a billionaire in his pocket just yet and it took a lot of nerve to come in and say 'you know what, this is stale and out of date and it just doesn't measure up'."

What does Herman want from his players? Simple. You have to practice the same way you play. You have to workout the same way you play. You have to study the same way you play. Go hard, all in and fast. So far, everyone is buying in because it's an easy sell and the players absolutely love the style of play and training. It's cutting edge. But what do we think we know about this team right now?

Offense

"We almost certainly won't see a ton of designed QB runs this year with the QBs. Simply put, neither of these guys are the kind of players you feel comfortable running the ball 10+ times a game. It doesn't mean Texas won't use their running abilities when needed, but it won't be the staple of the offense that ultimately we'll see down the road. Shane is ahead of Sam right now but that's expected. But Sam has been extremely impressive and has already elevated his game. Like Shane he gets the ball out quickly but he seems to have a little something nobody else at Texas has at the position. One of the most intriguing aspects of the next round of practices will be whether or not Sam can continue to learn and process what's being given to him especially when practices get more game-like. Everything I have seen from him thus far gives makes me believe Texas got a potential great one. This is a real QB battle and that's exactly what Tom Herman and Tim Beck wanted to see. Warren is on the clock and right now nobody's showing they are capable of giving him true competition. There are some role players that have looked good at some things and not others and right now guys like Toneil have a ways to go. They need another back to step up. But from the sounds of things they feel pretty good overall about the offense. They love the speed and talent at WR. It will be interesting to see what Lil'Jordan Humphrey can do in full pads when he's given more of the offense. He's a guy to keep your eyes on because he's had runs in practices where he was the best player on offense. He just needs to be more consistent with his hands. Other guys that have the attention of the staff are Williams, DD, foreman (who i think will have a big year with DD), and Johnson. I think coach Warehim and Drayton were the perfect hires for their positions. Both top notch motivators and teachers and i think both will have the RBs and OL playing at a high level."

Defense

"we're going to see an aggressive defense but they have to find a group up front that can get the job done and by the sounds of it they will have to get creative to get some pressure. By far the biggest concern on the defense is the lack of ability on the Dline. I think we're going to see guys like Hager and Roach moved around quite a bit since those are the two that can get pressure whether their hand is on the ground or not. The coaches know they have something there. Not surprisingly, Todd Orlando appears to really like what he has behind the big boys. The speed at LBer is something he will use to his advantage and Texas playing in the big 12 will serve them well with this group under Orlando. Coach Washington appears to be exactly what guys like Hill, Boyd and Davis needed in terms of learning how to elevate their play and be more consistent. He's one of the best teachers on the staff and he knows how to get their attention. "

first thoughts on this staff

"This is an extremely close staff already with an energy and focus I haven't seen maybe ever at Texas. One of the things that i was most worried about when strong hired his staff was there seemed to be a mix of older coaches that came from from difference backgrounds and ideologies especially on offense. They didn't quite fit as a group. This staff Herman has put together is a polar opposite in terms of philosophies and backgrounds. Tom Herman has the plan and they know exactly how to execute it."

I was impressed with the coaches interviews when they were asked about their responsibilities. They knew exactly what they were. There was no coach speak. Herman is organized and in charge. I like what he is doing.

I think it is no surprise that CEO's like him. They recognize a like mind who knows his business.

Hook 'em!

I was impressed with the coaches interviews when they were asked about their responsibilities. They knew exactly what they were. There was no coach speak. Herman is organized and in charge. I like what he is doing.

I think it is no surprise that CEO's like him. They recognize a like mind who knows his business.

Hook 'em!

PS,

For those with LHN who have not seen it best, there are 2 shows, Alignment offense and defense that are excellent "deep digs" into the vision of the coaches.

I came away REALLY impressed with the staff.   But then I am the eternal optimist

PS,

For those with LHN who have not seen it best, there are 2 shows, Alignment offense and defense that are excellent "deep digs" into the vision of the coaches.

I came away REALLY impressed with the staff. But then I am the eternal optimist

I caught bits and pieces of these 2 shows. I came away impressed in the way that they are aligned without the coach speak and repetitive talking points. It all seemed quite genuine and focused. Kids can tell a phony and all of these coaches came across very likeable and honest. Once they put some Ws together, recruiting will fall into place.

I was a member of OB for many years and El Mahico was a very good poster. We usually agreed. I remember the big Swoops-J.T. Barrett debate , I and most posters were in favor of Swoopes..  El Mahico was a big fan of Barrett. Mack should have listened to him.

Speaking of Mack and Swoopes, it burns me that Mack wasted Swoopes freshman year. I would like to think that Herman could have talked Swoopes to come back this year as a TE to help his NFL career. Although now we only two QB's on scholarship.