Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

J.B. TexasEx

#TexasFootball Spring Practice Discussion Thread

Do they give LJH some reps this spring?

I always thought it odd they moved a 6'5" dude to RB last year. Of course what do I know? Seems a speedy WR could hit the hole easier as a makeshift RB more effectively than a power forward!

Daniel Young is going to surprise a number of people IMO.  He is not flashy and won't wow anyone in shorts in t-shirt, but that young man is tough and breaks tackles with terrific leverage.  He isn't a home run hitter, but once he gets his opportunity, people will fall in love with him b/c he will prove to be an invaluable short yardage back.

TFB Scrimmage Notes from Saturday, April 1 mentioned that the D was far ahead of the O; the O just couldn't put much together with all the pressure from the D.

They reported that Roach, Bonney, McCulloch and Daniels all looked good, while Boo and Ehlinger struggled.

They quoted on source as saying, “The practice (this past weekend) was very violent.â€

------------

"The practice was very violent."

DarkFlamboyantDore.gif

Paging doc Longhorn....paging Doc Longhorn.....We need some expert help here. This surgery that Shack just had.....I saw the explanations so I think I know what they did, but you had alluded to the fact that many times the player was never the same afterwards.....did I dream that? Can you explain in simple terms what we should expect going forward? Herman talked about this like it was no big deal. Is it a big deal? Come on Doc....give it to us straight.

Not a Physician but after practicing Physical Therapy for 35 years maybe I can shed a little light.  

First:  Ligamentous injuries to the ankle primarily involve those that connect the tibia (shinbone), fibula(bone on outside of leg) and the talus( the top bone of the foot that the tibia and fibula ride on),

• The talo-fibular ligament is by far the most commonly injured.  This is the lateral/outside ankle sprain all of us have had.  It is rarely surgically corrected, easier to manage and predict return to play, responds well to taping/bracing etc.  
  • The deltoid ligament connects the tibia to the talus (medial/inside ankle).  It is much thicker than the talo-fibular thus taking much more force to tear and less likely to be injured.  Injuries here can be more severe and commonly involve associated fractures because of significant forces required to injure it.  Like the talofibular and because of biomechanics it is often treated well with rehab, taping and bracing.
  • High Ankle Sprain:  This involves the syndesmosis (the ligaments connecting the tibia to the fibula) these ligaments run from the knee to the ankle, however, the primary affected ligaments are in the lower leg. This injury is a challenge to Physicians,therapists, trainers etc. as it is much more difficult to quantify severity, prognosis for return to play and recurrences.  It is much more difficult to stabilize externally through taping/bracing.  The surgical repair/stabilization of this I have seen involves a plate on the tibia with screw fixation into the tibia.  This effectively immobilizes or fixes the distance between the two bones.  According to Tom Hermans description of the doctors using wires, I am thinking they are doing a procedure called the "tightrope".  In this procedure there is a plate screwed into the distal fibula and fixation provided by braided polyethylene cord which is secured to the tibia.  I looked at a few studies which showed this to have a better outcome on all measures of function as compared to screw fixation.  The braid allows compressive movement between tibia-fib but prevents seperation as the normal syndesmosis would  do.  This is a more correct bio mechanical repair.  As far as prognosis for return to play without lingering effects?  You would be foolish not to wonder about the forces required to perform elite level athletic activities at 320#, however, the repair only adds to the stability he had prior to surgery.  He was performing at a very high level even with an unstable ankle, although with great risk for re-injury. His physician knows best about his prognosis and if he has given Tom Herman reason for optimism, then Im hopeful that Shack will be full speed by opening day and that the surgical stabilization, and good rehab will minimize the risk for re-injury.  

Hope this didn't bore anyone and maybe was a little helpful.  Looking forward to making the long trip from North Louisiana to Austin for the Spring game.  Retired and planning to move home to Texas to Austin area next January.  Looking forward to a great year.   Hook em!!

Not a Physician but after practicing Physical Therapy for 35 years maybe I can shed a little light.  

First:  Ligamentous injuries to the ankle primarily involve those that connect the tibia (shinbone), fibula(bone on outside of leg) and the talus( the top bone of the foot that the tibia and fibula ride on),

• The talo-fibular ligament is by far the most commonly injured.  This is the lateral/outside ankle sprain all of us have had.  It is rarely surgically corrected, easier to manage and predict return to play, responds well to taping/bracing etc.  
  • The deltoid ligament connects the tibia to the talus (medial/inside ankle).  It is much thicker than the talo-fibular thus taking much more force to tear and less likely to be injured.  Injuries here can be more severe and commonly involve associated fractures because of significant forces required to injure it.  Like the talofibular and because of biomechanics it is often treated well with rehab, taping and bracing.
  • High Ankle Sprain:  This involves the syndesmosis (the ligaments connecting the tibia to the fibula) these ligaments run from the knee to the ankle, however, the primary affected ligaments are in the lower leg. This injury is a challenge to Physicians,therapists, trainers etc. as it is much more difficult to quantify severity, prognosis for return to play and recurrences.  It is much more difficult to stabilize externally through taping/bracing.  The surgical repair/stabilization of this I have seen involves a plate on the tibia with screw fixation into the tibia.  This effectively immobilizes or fixes the distance between the two bones.  According to Tom Hermans description of the doctors using wires, I am thinking they are doing a procedure called the "tightrope".  In this procedure there is a plate screwed into the distal fibula and fixation provided by braided polyethylene cord which is secured to the tibia.  I looked at a few studies which showed this to have a better outcome on all measures of function as compared to screw fixation.  The braid allows compressive movement between tibia-fib but prevents seperation as the normal syndesmosis would  do.  This is a more correct bio mechanical repair.  As far as prognosis for return to play without lingering effects?  You would be foolish not to wonder about the forces required to perform elite level athletic activities at 320#, however, the repair only adds to the stability he had prior to surgery.  He was performing at a very high level even with an unstable ankle, although with great risk for re-injury. His physician knows best about his prognosis and if he has given Tom Herman reason for optimism, then Im hopeful that Shack will be full speed by opening day and that the surgical stabilization, and good rehab will minimize the risk for re-injury.  

Hope this didn't bore anyone and maybe was a little helpful.  Looking forward to making the long trip from North Louisiana to Austin for the Spring game.  Retired and planning to move home to Texas to Austin area next January.  Looking forward to a great year.   Hook em!!

Thanks for the your insight True Blue! Much appreciated! HOOK 'EM!

Excited to be coming to the spring game on the 15th with my 24 year old son who despite growing up in Louisiana is a lifelong longhorn fan.  Would appreciate anyone that could help with a few questions. 

1. Is this an open game or does it require tickets?  Is seating assigned or first come first served?
  2. Where do you park?
  3. Most importantly....what is the the one can't miss eating establishment/pub/ activity etc. We need to go to visit while in Austin.  

Arriving Friday and leaving Sunday.  thanks.

Excited to be coming to the spring game on the 15th with my 24 year old son who despite growing up in Louisiana is a lifelong longhorn fan. Would appreciate anyone that could help with a few questions.

• Is this an open game or does it require tickets? Is seating assigned or first come first served?
  • Where do you park?
  • Most importantly....what is the the one can't miss eating establishment/pub/ activity etc. We need to go to visit while in Austin.
Arriving Friday and leaving Sunday. thanks.

I cant help you with much of this. But i visited Austin from Australia last yeae and loved my time there.

If you can Spare 3 hours in a line go to Franklins BBQ it's the best thing I have eaten in my life.

If you dont want to wait as long do LA BBQ or Iron Works both good as well.

If you like having a Beer i enjoyed ABGB

If the weather is nice i also would visit ziegler park