Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Austin Eats: an attempt to revive the board

Mike says this board needs some spice.  Let's talk food in Austin for a few minutes.  Chime in, tell me your hidden gems or even the common joints that everyone knows about.  Nothing is off limits.  It's the offseason. 

So I made the trek to Austin a few weeks back.  We had food at several places, some old names you'll recognize, a few new ones.  Here is my list, good/bad/otherwise

• Kerby Lane: I remember this place being better back in the day.  It was by no means awful, but it really wasn't memorable either.  Went there for a late supper, had chicken fried chicken.  It was just, well, average. 
  • Fixe: in a word, phenomenal.  The food, the atmosphere, the service, all top notch.  Would go again. 
  • Lucy's on S. Congress: Cool vibe, food was awful.  Service not much better.  Fried chicken joint with solid ratings.  The food was all fried and tasted like they hadn't changed the oil in their fryer in months.  The veggies were overcooked.  The sides were awful.  Will not return.
  • Sandy's: Stopped in for a malt, and it was the same as it ever was.  Decent burger joint malt. 
  • Prohibition Creamery: Ice cream joint/bar on E. 7th.  Bourbon ice cream Bourbon milkshake-nuff said.  Fantastic.  Wife had red velvet ice cream and is still raving about it.  Cool joint for an evening nightcap/dessert.
  • Nightcap: W. 6th.  Stopped into this converted home for a drink and some evening appetizers.  Everything was well-prepared.  Service was great.  Will return. 
  • Matt's El Rancho: Classic place, food same as I'd remembered it.  Just a cool place to sit out on the patio and relax with a margarita and a bowl of Bob Armstrong queso.  Yep, never change. 
  • Blacksheep Lodge: S. Lamar.  We had a HS Happy Hour here back in football season.  They do a nice job with bar food, drinks are spot on and it's an out-of-the-way pub with good grub. 

So go, tell me your go-to spots. 

Going to throw out some of my favorites from my time in Austin.

Biscuits and Groovy- I just got hungry thinking about this place. *Schedules trip to Austin*

Gus' Fried Chicken- By far my favorite chicken spot in the city. Chicken was always hot and delicious.

Magnolia Cafe- Always open and always good.

Jack Allen's Kitchen- Always got their chicken fried steak and wish I got out try other spots in Austin to compare it to.

Chi'Lantro BBQ- Kimchi fries. Enough said.

Kerlin BBQ is super good and I have never had to wait longer than 15 min in line, Brisket and the sides are the superstars at this joint.. I have never had franklin bbq but I have preordered for the day before the spring game. I am pumped!

Never had Kerlin, but Franklin is the real McCoy.  Worth the wait. 

For a great greasy cheeseburger try the Dart Bowl. Yes, it is a bowling alley about a block off of Koening.

Believe it or not; I had a "Top Places" list (for fun) when I lived in Austin in the 90's, and Dart Bowl was #2 on my burger list.  Back then Dart Bowl was on Burnet Road I believe. 

#1 on my list for Burgers was the Jollyville Café.  A little dive in NW Austin, around Cedar Park that I highly doubt exists any longer. 

Believe it or not; I had a "Top Places" list (for fun) when I lived in Austin in the 90's, and Dart Bowl was #2 on my burger list. Back then Dart Bowl was on Burnet Road I believe.

#1 on my list for Burgers was the Jollyville Café. A little dive in NW Austin, around Cedar Park that I highly doubt exists any longer.

Dart Bowl is on 5700 Grover Ave. It is about one block south of West Koening.

Fonda San Miguel at 2330 W. North Loop (west of Burnet, east of Shoal Creek) is the place for me, if I want great Mexican food and an overall great culinary experience. Dinner only and Sunday Brunch. I've been going there since 1976.

Not cheap, but well worth it, IMO.

The Carne Asada with beef tenderloin is world class. So much food. I always have some to take home.

The owner Tom, Business manager Janis and Restaurant manager Danny are all good people.

I did all their mesquite dining tables, the mesquite, mahogany and copper hostess stand and Honduran mahogany bar.

Some of their waiters have been there 20+ years. FWIW, I always ask for Stephen.

this must be the place to ask.....The Bon Ton grocery in Kyle used to make the absolutely best link sausage in the Northern hemisphere. Then then place burned down. I had heard they had reopened at Uhland, but nobody knows anything about it. Anyone on here have any info? I would drive to Dallas to buy it if they had it but I suspect they have just gone away.

this must be the place to ask.....The Bon Ton grocery in Kyle used to make the absolutely best link sausage in the Northern hemisphere. Then then place burned down. I had heard they had reopened at Uhland, but nobody knows anything about it. Anyone on here have any info? I would drive to Dallas to buy it if they had it but I suspect they have just gone away.

My friends at Google say you are correct, it's in Uhland. Been there since 2004

http://www.bontoncountrystore.com/

Open every day except Wednesday.

joeywa.....you are my hero. I had worn out my search buttons looking for the place. I dont know why I couldnt find it. I will get up there as soon as I can. In the mean time, do yourselves a favor and get some of their link sausage.....none of that turkey or chicken crap....get the real deal. I promise you wont be disappointed.

Sadly, I could only give you 1 like for that info.

joeywa.....you are my hero. I had worn out my search buttons looking for the place. I dont know why I couldnt find it. I will get up there as soon as I can. In the mean time, do yourselves a favor and get some of their link sausage.....none of that turkey or chicken crap....get the real deal. I promise you wont be disappointed.

Sadly, I could only give you 1 like for that info.

I was, and continue to be a bit confused by your reference to going to Dallas, and referencing Uhland as 'up there'

It's out east of Kyle, just outside of Austin and San Marcos. Not sure where you're located, but it may be closer to you than you think. :)

I am in San Antonio so Uhland is "up there". What I meant by Dallas was that that damned sausage was so good I would drive to Dallas to get it. Sorry for the confusion, but again thanks for the info.

OK, that makes more sense. Ha. Apologies for my misunderstanding. I'll make a trip there on my next trip for the links.

You can't go wrong with anything from Bonton...They have great steaks, awesome marinated fajitas, pan sausage etc etc. Take a cooler with you and load up. Also, we've had deer processing done there forever (dad had a deer in their freezer in Kyle when the store burned down). Their pan sausage is the best I've ever had.