Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personal Announcement: Please Read

Mike Roach

This community means a lot to me, because I fully believe it has the best group of readers on the internet.  It is for that reason that I'm excited (and a little sad to announce) that I'm leaving HornSports.  An opportunity came along to push my writing career in a new direction, and after a lot of thought and prayer on the subject I've decided to accept it.  I can't yet say where my next destination will be, but I wanted to thank the readers of this community for giving me a shot to build the foundation of a dream job here.  You all have been very supportive to me while I tried to bring you the best information I could.

This decision wasn't particularly easy because I'm a big loyalty guy.  I talked things over with Aaron Carrara, and he encouraged me to take the next step.  I can't tell you how much Aaron means to me as both a person and a mentor.  Together he and Matt Cotcher gave me the opportunity and guidance to break into an industry I have a true passion for.  Aaron is one of the best people I know, and that made the decision to leave difficult.  The opportunities afforded to me here in my 3 years with the site were unbelievable.  I never thought I'd have an opportunity to be on the road with a major college football team reporting from the pressbox.  I'm not sure I can ever repay Aaron for these things.  

I feel I did a good job as a recruiting reporter because I worked with a tremendously talented staff.  Daniel Seahorn and I clicked right from the start, and I have full confidence he will succeed in whatever he chooses to do because he's hard working, honest, and an overall good person.  Ryan Bridges taught me so much more about the game of football, and he became a vital sounding board for me to bounce ideas off of.  Will Baizer helped me get into podcasting, and he expanded my thinking in creating new ideas.  He also gave me the opportunity to serve as a teacher for him as he tries to go the same road I went down.  Harrison Weir was an incredible asset to us as soon as he came in.  His ability to pick things up and run with them was a tremendous help to me.  Chris Flanagan and I didn't cross paths much as I try to stay away from basketball as much as possible, but his support for me was a huge boost early on.  

I'll still be around the internet, and I might even drop in here from time to time to see how everything is going.  I have great confidence that this site will continue to grow in this industry, and I'm happy I was a part of helping to put us on the map.  Thank you all once again for your support.

Congrats, Mike!

The new gig is well deserved and even though I know we will miss you here at HS, I know you will no doubt crush it! Thanks for all you have done for the site and thank you for being so welcoming when I first broke in and was the new guy around here.

You're always professional and you always bust your ass to bring the best information to the readers.

It been a pleasure working with you Mike.

Nobody in the business deserves to move up more than you. We'll miss you here, but know that you're going to kill it where ever you go.

You've always looked out for this site and myself it means a lot. I wouldn't be here without you.

You're a true professional, and I look forward to seeing you at camps and whenever I'm in Dallas.

Once again, you're going to kill it and be big, my man.

Mike, Good luck.

Without going overboard, I recall the period when Texas was going to replace Coach Strong. You reported some information which begged an additional question or two. I didn't expect you to answer, at least not right away. I knew everyone was attempting to out scoop one another at the time but you answered my questions in this public forum. I came away thinking - this guy is not just a reporter, he actually wants to inform those that read his work. So just this once I will use this term without sarcasm, you have conducted yourself as a Journalist.