Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rolling 2 year review of recruiting classes

echeese

The great Gerry Hamilton once said the best way to review recruiting classes was to judge them on a rolling 2 year basis.  Hard to argue with him.  With a thanks to OB Longview Lobo for the research, I added my commentary of each position group with my letter grade for each group.   

QB
Shane Buechele ****
Sam Ehlinger ****

Best 2 year QB class in. . ..well. . ..years. . . .A-. Can't grade this class down because of past failures. A grad transfer would have made it an A+

RB
Toneil Carter ****
Kyle Porter ****
Daniel Young ***

My only bitch, we likely needed 1 or 2 more plus a kid like Dobbins. B-

WR
Davion Curtis ***
Devin Duvernay ****
Reggie Hemphill-Mapps ***
Lil Jordan Humphrey ***
Collin Johnson ****
Damion Miller ****
Jordan Pouncey ***

Our WR recruiting has been sick, arguably (with LB) our best 2 year position haul A+

TE
Peyton Aucoin ***
Cade Brewer ***
Reese Leitao ***

Good, has much upside  B

OL
Samuel Cosmi ***
Jean Delance ****
Patrick Hudson ****
Tope Imade ***
Derek Kerstetter ***
Denzel Okafor ****
Zach Shackelford ***
JP Urquidez ****

This could be the core of the 2019 offensive line and it's an excellent group. A, 3rd best position group haul

DL
Jamari Chisholm ***
D'Andre Christmas-Giles ****
Max Cummins ***
Chris Daniels ****
Jordan Elliott ****
Andrew Fitzgerald ****
Taquon Graham ****
Marcell Southall ***
Gerald Wilbon ***

Similar to the OL group. Missing that can't miss/step on campus as a difference maker guy but we landed much needed numbers and quality. B+

LB
Marqez Bimage ***
Demarco Boyd ***
Jeffrey McCulloch ****
Erick Fowler ****
Gary Johnson ****
Malcolm Roach ***

Some bad azzed talent in this group. Roach already a difference maker. Expect to say the sam about Johnson, McCullough and maybe Fowler at the end of 2017. A+ 

DB
Chris Brown ***
Kobe Boyce ***
Eric Cuffee ****
Donovan Duvernay ***
Montrell Estell ****
Brandon Jones ****
John Thompson ****

Today I see them similar to the DL class. Nobody really "spectacular" but certainly some quality recruits. B+

K
Josh Rowland ***

Biggest, most glaring position need of the off season and Coach Tom's 1st pickup. Kid will win us 1-3 games in 2017

When you review this (as @LongviewLobo01 did) over a rolling 2 year window, we loaded up. Only bitch is a lack of big time difference makers but we're looking good for 2018 if we can win 8 or 9 this year.

Great read. The only position of some concern is DB. While I think Brandon Jones has the ability to shine I am a little concerned of not getting a bona-fide, lockdown CB to play bump coverage. No doubt it is a talented group, but they needed someone that can shut down one side of the field. I know those guys are rare, but that's my only complaint.

Great read. The only position of some concern is DB. While I think Brandon Jones has the ability to shine I am a little concerned of not getting a bona-fide, lockdown CB to play bump coverage. No doubt it is a talented group, but they needed someone that can shut down one side of the field. I know those guys are rare, but that's my only complaint.

Your comments about a "lock down" cb are well spoken.   Several groups lack the "difference maker" to be truly top flight.

RB

DL

DL

Jamari Chisholm ***

D'Andre Christmas-Giles ****

Max Cummins ***

Chris Daniels ****

Jordan Elliott ****

Andrew Fitzgerald ****

Taquon Graham ****

Marcell Southall ***

Gerald Wilbon ***

Similar to the OL group. Missing that can't miss/step on campus as a difference maker guy but we landed much needed numbers and quality. B+

It'll be interesting to see who lines up where as we shift to more 3-4 and odd man fronts.

Giles, Wilbon, & Southall look like NGs to me, while Graham & Cummins need to put on weight to hold up in the 5 or 4i technique. How big is Fitzgerald these days?

I have some concern about our kicker...Rowlin?? Do we have real faith that he will be the real deal? I know nothing about him but I am not sure I ever heard of a kicker coming from Jr College for anyone. Have I just missed the boat? I guess what I am asking is how do we know he can kick?

I have some concern about our kicker...Rowlin?? Do we have real faith that he will be the real deal? I know nothing about him but I am not sure I ever heard of a kicker coming from Jr College for anyone. Have I just missed the boat? I guess what I am asking is how do we know he can kick?

At least he has a few years of kicking experience above the HS level. Proven JUCO kicker....gotta be better than what we had and have currently.