Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. We can't sugarcoat things.  This recruiting class was a disappointing finish for those who had high hopes when Tom Herman was hired.  Herman had close to no hope with the elites in state making ear

First, I would like to recognize the HornSports staff that did a great job during this recruiting season. Second, I want to point out that recruiting rankings are an inexact science. I do not doub

Thank you HS.   This is my 3rd recruiting cycle on this site. Truly enjoy the community

Now that I'm all rested up there are a few things I wanna get off my chest. First off for what Herman had to deal with in such a short period of time and a full deck of cards he had against him in this recruiting season he didn't do too bad of a job . He addressed the needs that we definitely needed to fill for the depth of this football team. Second, I commend the young men that didn't decommit from us and wanted to bail out from there commitment to Texas. My biggest concern I did have when Herman took over was just exactly THAT.. some of them decommit and go somewhere else. I can't remember offhand if someone did,but, I'm pretty sure somebody in here will remind me. Anyways, I know we didn't pull in stellar prospects like Chaisson, Browning, Wilson, Jones,Hines,etc. , But, due to the season that we had on the field that Texas had it was going to be a challenge for Herman to do that. So whether anyone is pissed off that Herman couldn't do it or pleased we need to move forward and get ready for

a war on the field.

Mack and Strong were good at signing *(star) high school players but proved themselves incapable of actually coaching up the high school talent to play exceptionally at the D-1 level.

Mack couldn't coach them up???????

Good point, that explains why TEXAS at one point was #1 in terms of putting players in the NFL, we still sit today at #5 or #6

:rolleyes:

Compared to what other coaches bring in during transition years this was as good as can be expected. Other coaches come in with around 15 commits it seems and Herman only had 7 I think. I'm holding back judgement on this class.

I will say that Herman really put the pressure on his 2018 class. If a year from now he is sitting outside the top 15 I will be really disappointed. That is when he put a timeline on himself so I'm expecting serious results.

ESPN article regarding Herman's day yesterday, with an eye to 2018:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18598745

This is good.

Here's a quote from the link that summarizes what we all need to take a step back and realize, from Herman himself. It's not an excuse, it's reality:

""The Texas they know is much different than the Texas that we know," Herman said. "So we've got to show them what Texas is capable of. We've got to show them what Texas can be. "

Wake me up, when September ends begins

The Blake Nevins preferred walk on is very interesting. Reported to be smart and great kid.  6'4" Basketball player (sophomore and junior) who came out for football in senior year and managed to win QB spot at Cy Ranch.  Athletic with great feet as expected for BB player.  Didn't have great completion % but didn't turn it over. Effective runner.  Doesn't appear to have great speed but close area quickness.  Throwing motion needs cleaned up but I like how he distributed the ball to the right places on film.  Has a frame that will benefit greatly from Yancy's magic. Interesting to see these QB coaches ability to develop someone this raw (you never know).  30# and he could be potential tight end.  These are the kind of kids I love to root for!

First, I would like to recognize the HornSports staff that did a great job during this recruiting season.

Second, I want to point out that recruiting rankings are an inexact science. I do not doubt for a minute that those on the staff and others who do more reading and research than the average supporter know more about the young recruits than the rest of us. As far as entertainment and information I really appreciate the product that was served up for our consumption.

Lastly, the narrative that this class was a failure and that Herman underperformed during this recruiting is nothing more than speculation and complete BULLSHIT.

Does it never occur to anyone that if you further the notion that this class is a failure and Herman is underperforming you are likely to delivered exactly that, a failure of a class and an underperforming coach? I am not asking anyone to pretend that this class was better than Alabama's or even the Aggies' ON PAPER.

I am asking you to realize that Texas has played crap football for at least 5 years if not more. There are consequences for putting a horrible product on the field. Those consequences include the highest rated players are not excited about playing for a loser. The resurrection of Texas' football program was never going to begin in recruiting. Most recruits were too young to see Vince Young play. Texas' resurgence will begin when Texas begins to consistently win tough games, games in which they might not have the best talent on the field and games in which they are most likely the underdog. Winning games like this are more a function of the culture that the coach develops with the team and the will that is developed between seasons.

If anyone believes that Texas is going to go from 5-7 to 11-1 then they are not being honest with themselves and not placing reasonable expectations on the team. Of course it is possible that Texas goes 11-1 next year but it is highly improbable. When you place unreasonable expectations on the team then you will tend to miss the incremental progress that is necessary to turn Texas football back into a national powerhouse.

In general, the Texas fan base needs to shut the hell up. Everybody had their say when they thought Charlie ought to be dumped. They also had their chance to opine as to who should be the new head coach. Your job now is to support the team. Any negative energy perpetuated by the fan base will most likely be rewarded with negative results.

Compared to what other coaches bring in during transition years this was as good as can be expected. Other coaches come in with around 15 commits it seems and Herman only had 7 I think. I'm holding back judgement on this class.

I will say that Herman really put the pressure on his 2018 class. If a year from now he is sitting outside the top 15 I will be really disappointed. That is when he put a timeline on himself so I'm expecting serious results.

IMO, you will be disappointed and so will Herman. He probably spoke without paying attention to the numbers. The small, small class we'll have, even if loaded with five-stars and four-stars, can only go so far against a class of 25-30 that other teams will have.

IMO, you will be disappointed and so will Herman. He probably spoke without paying attention to the numbers. The small, small class we'll have, even if loaded with five-stars and four-stars, can only go so far against a class of 25-30 that other teams will have.

Looking at the numbers plus the amount that f attrition that is expected this offseason and next. I'm thinking we can definitely hit between 23-26 next class

great job hs staff.  really enjoy this site.

i wonder how herman feels behind the scenes.  sure he has to say all the right things at the press conference but how does he really feel being slighted by some of the top prospects.  i hope it lights a fire under him and the team to produce a better product next season.