Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

16 hours ago, DBut82 said:

Anyone getting the feeling that Orlando may leave?  I didn't see Herman's press conference but posters on TFB seem to think it's a possibility considering Naivar's "promotion" to co-defensive coordinator along with some comments Herman made during his press conference...thoughts?

I don't feel that way. I think we just did that to keep Naivar from leaving for a DC job. Orlando should only leave for a HC job. I don't know of any HC opening worth taking for him.

10 hours ago, BigL said:

Thanks Daniel for keeping us amateurs updated. 

I just took a look at last 2 years OT recruits with Shepard's commit.  Will say that for the first time in a long time I'm feeling good about our future at OT and the depth they are building.  Looking forward to the great O-Line class in 2020 and hope Evans notices as well!

Are all the 2018 OT recruits still on the team?

At quick glance here's our 2018 & 2019 OT recruits

OT Junior Angilau 4*
OT Reese Moore 4*
OT Rafiti Ghirmai 4*
OT Mikey Grandy 3*
OT Christian Jones 3*

OT Tyler Johnson 4*
OT Isaiah Hookfin 4*
OT Javonne Shepherd 4*

Delete Grandy, he has already taken a medical.

36 minutes ago, longhorndon said:

Hey DBut82,

I thought the same thing, but then remembered he has been committed to Texas since the end of June.... just didn't really feel that way some of the time.

Yeah I totally forgot that he's been a Longhorn for like 8 month lol

10 Big-Name Recruits Who Screwed Up Most in 2019 Signing Window

S Chris Adimora, Texas

1 OF 10

3dacfea2eea08be7f5b2d1fe28118048_crop_ex
Credit: 247Sports

Based on how Texas head coach Tom Herman and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando recruited defensive backs in 2019, it appears as though they aren't happy with their current depth chart.

During a resurgent 2018 season that put the program back on the map, the Longhorns ranked 110th nationally against the pass. But despite that horrific number, the 'Horns are improving at the position, and few other schools in the country have stockpiled as much talent at safety as Texas.

Last year, they secured B.J. Foster and Caden Sterns, two potential All-Americans who played as true freshmen and were dominant at times. With Brandon Jones and Chris Brown back as well, that's a loaded group.

Incoming 4-star safety Tyler Owens is elite, and the speedy star should hop on the field right away. It's enough depth to make the 'Horns move DeMarvion Overshown to outside linebacker.

So, where does that leave Chris Adimora?

The 6'1½", 192-pound safety had plenty of offers and was the 190th-ranked player in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. However, his path to playing time at Texas is blocked, and it doesn't look like it's getting less clogged anytime soon.

Though Kenyatta Watson looks like a cornerback, he could also jostle for time at safety.

Will Adimora compete and be content if he has to wait for a starting role? Sterns, Foster and Owens are too talented to keep off the field. It'll be interesting to see where Adimora fits

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819338-10-big-name-recruits-who-screwed-up-most-in-2019-signing-window#slide1

Arkansas site on Henry recruitment.

I'll preface this by saying I'm going to remain professional in all of my answers in this thread.

All I know is Arkansas woke up this morning still thinking he was in the bag, and to their credit, he was. What you may have heard about him coming to visit and checking out apartments on Sunday is true. He was coming to Arkansas, the story was written, it was a done deal.

Evidently, Ole Miss got to his mother last night and did a great job of convincing her that Oxford was the best place for Lakia. I'm told she drove through the night to get to Dodge City today, and the rest is pretty much history. I'll leave it all up for interpretation from there because I honestly don't have all the facts, but I do know Ole Miss did a good job of winning over Lakia's mother.

Just being frank here, this one wasn't even close guys. He was a Hog. It was a done deal -- until it wasn't. I've seen some dandies but this one might take the cake. I'm not sure "surprised" is the word I'd use for how Arkansas feels about it. I don't think they're even that "surprised" by this, but they sure thought they had their guy.

That's recruiting, especially in the SEC.

Ole Miss with ZFG 

15 hours ago, BigL said:

I just took a look at last 2 years OT recruits with Shepard's commit.  Will say that for the first time in a long time I'm feeling good about our future at OT and the depth they are building.  Looking forward to the great O-Line class in 2020 and hope Evans notices as well!

OT Junior Angilau 4*
OT Reese Moore 4*
OT Rafiti Ghirmai 4*
OT Mikey Grandy 3*
OT Christian Jones 3*

OT Tyler Johnson 4*
OT Isaiah Hookfin 4*
OT Javonne Shepherd 4*

Grandy is gone.

51 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm going to remain professional in all of my answers in this thread.

All I know is Arkansas woke up this morning still thinking he was in the bag, and to their credit, he was. What you may have heard about him coming to visit and checking out apartments on Sunday is true. He was coming to Arkansas, the story was written, it was a done deal.

Evidently, Ole Miss got to his mother last night and did a great job of convincing her that Oxford was the best place for Lakia. I'm told she drove through the night to get to Dodge City today, and the rest is pretty much history. I'll leave it all up for interpretation from there because I honestly don't have all the facts, but I do know Ole Miss did a good job of winning over Lakia's mother.

Just being frank here, this one wasn't even close guys. He was a Hog. It was a done deal -- until it wasn't. I've seen some dandies but this one might take the cake. I'm not sure "surprised" is the word I'd use for how Arkansas feels about it. I don't think they're even that "surprised" by this, but they sure thought they had their guy.

Ole Miss with ZFG 

Thats crazy wild. $ounds like Ole Miss had a great two-minute offense.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

10 Big-Name Recruits Who Screwed Up Most in 2019 Signing Window

S Chris Adimora, Texas

1 OF 10

3dacfea2eea08be7f5b2d1fe28118048_crop_ex
Credit: 247Sports

Based on how Texas head coach Tom Herman and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando recruited defensive backs in 2019, it appears as though they aren't happy with their current depth chart.

During a resurgent 2018 season that put the program back on the map, the Longhorns ranked 110th nationally against the pass. But despite that horrific number, the 'Horns are improving at the position, and few other schools in the country have stockpiled as much talent at safety as Texas.

Last year, they secured B.J. Foster and Caden Sterns, two potential All-Americans who played as true freshmen and were dominant at times. With Brandon Jones and Chris Brown back as well, that's a loaded group.

Incoming 4-star safety Tyler Owens is elite, and the speedy star should hop on the field right away. It's enough depth to make the 'Horns move DeMarvion Overshown to outside linebacker.

So, where does that leave Chris Adimora?

The 6'1½", 192-pound safety had plenty of offers and was the 190th-ranked player in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. However, his path to playing time at Texas is blocked, and it doesn't look like it's getting less clogged anytime soon.

Though Kenyatta Watson looks like a cornerback, he could also jostle for time at safety.

Will Adimora compete and be content if he has to wait for a starting role? Sterns, Foster and Owens are too talented to keep off the field. It'll be interesting to see where Adimora fits

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819338-10-big-name-recruits-who-screwed-up-most-in-2019-signing-window#slide1

This is a case of a writer waking up and saying "I have nothing to write about today." So they twist, turn, bend and come up with the above.

Kenyatta Watson is an elite corner with the size you drool over at CB. Why would you move him from a place thats not crowded, to another position where he causes it to be crowded? Only a writer with no story even talks about this.

Adimora is an elite ATHLETE. He can play multiple positions on defense and offense, as well as return kicks/punts. Adimora looks up to nobody in this recruiting class.

Jones will leave after next season. Sterns probably follows him. Chris Brown has never really been a factor, just used as depth.

So that leaves us where we started. Adimora and Owens as our safety recruits in this class. An injury here or there and either could play in their freshman and sophomore seasons.

16 hours ago, BigL said:

OT Junior Angilau 4*
OT Reese Moore 4*
OT Rafiti Ghirmai 4*
OT Mikey Grandy 3*
OT Christian Jones 3*

OT Tyler Johnson 4*
OT Isaiah Hookfin 4*
OT Javonne Shepherd 4*

Who is our back up center next season?

Do we have any interior linemen in these classes?  I’m thinking Angilau and maybe Ghirmai move to guard?

2 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Ole Miss with ZFG 

What does “Ole Miss with ZFG” mean?

Edited by Bear19

2 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Ole Miss with ZFG 

i bet arky was "blind sided"

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Remember when nothing happened to them last time? NCAA gives zero shits....    

Well, take one look at Baylor. The legal investigation was almost over before the NCAA awoke from slumber to show interest. That investigation still isn't finished.

NCAA did punish Ole Miss last time. Took away schollies, bowl eligibility, and OVs and limited recruiting trips.

They survived it, obviously, but they went from SEC contender who beat Bama more than not, to finding their seat in the back of the pack.

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Who is our back up center next season?

Do we have any interior linemen in these classes?  I’m thinking Angilau and maybe Ghirmai move to guard?

Rafiti Ghirmai is getting snaps at center, per TFB.

Edit: Also, it sounds like Angilau is taking snaps at guard.

28 minutes ago, utb040713 said:

Rafiti Ghirmai is getting snaps at center, per TFB.

Edit: Also, it sounds like Angilau is taking snaps at guard.

I thought I had read somewhere that Kerstetter was going to get some work there as well.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Kerstetter played center several times last season, after Shack went down. IMO, he was better than Shack.

I was impressed by the lack of offensive holding calls by Shack after his return from injury last season.