Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Will Baizer

2019 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, UTfish said:

This has really gotten out of control, but who will stop it? The NCAA?           I don't think so. 

Thanks,  PD.

The NCAA is about as toothless as a newborn baby.  Joel Klatt (credible source) openly states that cheating is rampant in the SEC and to a lesser degree in the ACC.   They have no interest in even attempting to seriously police their own rules.  

Its like they regret what they did to SMU and TCU (the living death penalty) and decided to never act authoritatively again.  

College Football Recruiting Rankings 2019: Projecting Top Classes and Programs

3. Texas 

Tom Herman and his assistant coaches put together the best recruiting class outside of the SEC, and like Georgia, the Longhorns won't be too busy Wednesday. 

The biggest bit of news regarding the Longhorns and recruiting came out last week, as athlete Bru McCoy opted to leave USC and join the Longhorns following turnover on the USC staff. 

69563418fb9bb97fdbe43a7c8a659770_crop_ex
Orlin Wagner/Associated Press

In McCoy and Jordan Whittington, the Longhorns have the two best athletes in the class of 2019 in their possession. 

While McCoy and Whittington are the only five-star players in Texas' recruiting class, it bolstered its roster by adding 14 four-star prospects. 

In total, Texas pulled in five players from the 247Sports top 100, with wide receiver Jake Smith, offensive tackle Tyler Johnson and linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd joining the two athletes in that category. 

Earning the third-ranked recruiting class is yet another boost for Herman and Co., who enter the 2019 season with high expectations after beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819556-college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-projecting-top-classes-and-programs

8 hours ago, NWAHorn said:

Ever been to Fayetteville on Dickson? Ever been to Eureka? Why was Baker Mayfield here partying and not in his hometown in ATX when he was arrested? You're old, dude, like me. You do NOT know what the vibe is here for college kids. Fayetteville is one of the best college towns in the country. Come visit sometime when school is going on and count the Texas license plates. I lived in ATX and Texas in my younger years and I moved here 20 years ago, where my kids have been raised and are very connected to the live music/party scene. I imagine you got off the plane at XNA, went to a hotel in Bentonville or Rogers and never made it down to Fayetteville. BTW, we now have a Hilton, a Hampton and 21c. And one other thing ... I might have just the slightest little more knowledge about what recruits are looking for than the average person. I don't just know "a guy" I know "the guy" when it comes to recruiting. 

I will give you the old piece. I drove all the way up there in 82 to see Texas get pounded the week after we beat OU 34-14 and were ranked #1. We left in the 3rd quarter. Stadium back then was like a HS stadium and I was literally scared the old stands would collapse and I'd die along with the team. Maybe my dislike is lack of a real hotel. I should have gotten funding for a Marriott or Hilton 15 years ago and I'd be rich. I'm not saying on a public forum how much fun or lack thereof to work with that big corporation there. 

Wish you the best. I think my point was it's not just the atmosphere where you live. It's what team are you playing on? Arky is just pitiful. Arky will never win a conference championship. Never. Who wants to play for a losing team unless you have options or unless you think they will turn it around. I just don't see them ever competing in the SEC. They wouldn't compete in the B12. Just not enough recruiting base. When they left the SWC they left behind their Texas base. 

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

The NCAA is about as toothless as a newborn baby.  Joel Klatt (credible source) openly states that cheating is rampant in the SEC and to a lesser degree in the ACC.   They have no interest in even attempting to seriously police their own rules.  

Its like they regret what they did to SMU and TCU (the living death penalty) and decided to never act authoritatively again.  

I believe the NCAA knows how corrupt college sports have become and fear opening Pandora’s box would cause  irreparable damage.

It’s gotten to the point where some schools are daring them to do something about it.

I would bet there are very few programs without a couple of skeletons in the closet. 

4 hours ago, wadster said:

I will give you the old piece. I drove all the way up there in 82 to see Texas get pounded the week after we beat OU 34-14 and were ranked #1. We left in the 3rd quarter. Stadium back then was like a HS stadium and I was literally scared the old stands would collapse and I'd die along with the team. Maybe my dislike is lack of a real hotel. I should have gotten funding for a Marriott or Hilton 15 years ago and I'd be rich. I'm not saying on a public forum how much fun or lack thereof to work with that big corporation there. 

Wish you the best. I think my point was it's not just the atmosphere where you live. It's what team are you playing on? Arky is just pitiful. Arky will never win a conference championship. Never. Who wants to play for a losing team unless you have options or unless you think they will turn it around. I just don't see them ever competing in the SEC. They wouldn't compete in the B12. Just not enough recruiting base. When they left the SWC they left behind their Texas base. 

The most frustrating thing for Arkansas being in the SEC is you can have a top 20-25 recruiting class and that's still only 5th or 6th in your own division, while it would be 3rd-4th in the Big 12 most years.

Gotta love the SEC money and it's great to be in the conference for baseball and non-revenue sports but there are fans who wish the Hogs would move to a different conference for football sometimes. Arkansas has won the West 3 times and had success under Petrino but even in his 11-2 year they finished 3rd in the division.

16 minutes ago, WPS said:

The most frustrating thing for Arkansas being in the SEC is you can have a top 20-25 recruiting class and that's still only 5th or 6th in your own division, while it would be 3rd-4th in the Big 12 most years.

Gotta love the SEC money and it's great to be in the conference for baseball and non-revenue sports but there are fans who wish the Hogs would move to a different conference for football sometimes. Arkansas has won the West 3 times and had success under Petrino but even in his 11-2 year they finished 3rd in the division.

Arky was better at hoops, too, while members of the SWC.

I guess you can attribute that to Nolan Richardson's coaching prowess, but I believe they'd be better off in the Big 12 with a TX recruiting pipeline. Just my opinion.

51 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Arky was better at hoops, too, while members of the SWC.

I guess you can attribute that to Nolan Richardson's coaching prowess, but I believe they'd be better off in the Big 12 with a TX recruiting pipeline. Just my opinion.

Just a Reminder, aggie sucked in both the BIG 12 and the sec.  The only time they we OK was when they left the BIG 12, the first year not that bad.  Now they are just middle of the pack.

Anyone getting the feeling that Orlando may leave?  I didn't see Herman's press conference but posters on TFB seem to think it's a possibility considering Naivar's "promotion" to co-defensive coordinator along with some comments Herman made during his press conference...thoughts?

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

Anyone getting the feeling that Orlando may leave?  I didn't see Herman's press conference but posters on TFB seem to think it's a possibility considering Naivar's "promotion" to co-defensive coordinator along with some comments Herman made during his press conference...thoughts?

I took the promotion as trying to find a way to get Naivar more so than Orlando leaving. 

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

Using the phrase “as of today” multiple times is normally a foreboding sign

2 hours ago, DBut82 said:

I expect this will be Orlando's last season at UT if we have a top defense next year and we contend. The bar was set for a UT DC when Muschamp got the Florida job.

If he's smart he will be like Smart.  Kirby that is. Kirby stayed at Alabama till the Georgia job came open.

Ladies and gentlemen that concludes the 2019 recruiting cycle. With this class now in the books, it is full steam ahead on to 2020 and beyond!

Appreciate y’all following along as always. We will probably have something up in the next couple days discussing the Texas recruiting class. Until then y’all get stretched out and ready for 2020, because it is shaping up to be a fun ride. 

23 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Ladies and gentlemen that concludes the 2019 recruiting cycle. With this class now in the books, it is full steam ahead on to 2020 and beyond!

Appreciate y’all following along as always. We will probably have something up in the next couple days discussing the Texas recruiting class. Until then y’all get stretched out and ready for 2020, because it is shaping up to be a fun ride. 

Where will info regarding Grad Transfers be posted?

1 hour ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Thanks Daniel for keeping us amateurs updated. 

I just took a look at last 2 years OT recruits with Shepard's commit.  Will say that for the first time in a long time I'm feeling good about our future at OT and the depth they are building.  Looking forward to the great O-Line class in 2020 and hope Evans notices as well!

Are all the 2018 OT recruits still on the team?

At quick glance here's our 2018 & 2019 OT recruits

OT Junior Angilau 4*
OT Reese Moore 4*
OT Rafiti Ghirmai 4*
OT Mikey Grandy 3*
OT Christian Jones 3*

OT Tyler Johnson 4*
OT Isaiah Hookfin 4*
OT Javonne Shepherd 4*

5 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

And if y'all want make sure all of you can send donations to Daniel's home for that long awaited honeymoon. Lol