Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Will Baizer

2018 Recruiting Board/Thread

18 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Maybe the brilliant people who think that "getting your own guys" is just an excuse would like to see UT with no OL additions by TH next season.

Of course we need players. We're not going to stop recruiting. And we need OL most of all. But the poster who said "they are all his players now" is right. You make them your players. You find the guys on the roster (full of 4 stars) that fit your scheme and coach the hell out of them.

That Tech game was a huge canary in the coal mine and a lot of fans here have their heads in the sand about it (mixed bird metaphor!). I hope the canary lives and the Ostrich starts kicking ass, but it's very concerning.

Devurney and Moore are not the same. Both are fast, sure. But Devurney's speed comes out when he's running a straight path. There's no real quicks to him.

Moore is the opposite. He can be caught by some in a straight line race, but he will break some ankles trying to stay with him.

I hope Herman is getting to the bottom of the negative recruiting. Thats unacceptable.

2 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Watched courtre Alexander last weekend win the state tile here in Oklahoma. Kid was hell of a player. Or atleast I can say he played really well this game!

Watched his tape last week and came away impressed. Very under the radar with only a couple of offers. Sent his tape to my guy at Houston and he loves him. Would be interested to hear your notes on him. 

4 hours ago, drgilbert said:

Here is one posters opinion of some of our recruits. Lot of talk that our #2 class is very overrated. 24E10573-D4F7-4864-A83B-A5C6F5CD8690.thumb.png.ba88d2479143d8fdf5eff9df816b87c6.png

I could not disagree more with that load of shit dished out on Rondale Moore being another Duvernay.

DevDuv is more along the lines of straight ahead speed.  Moore has more wiggle and jitterbug to him.  All you have to do is watch his huddl film or at the very least his punt return video a few pages back to see the difference.

32 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Watched his tape last week and came away impressed. Very under the radar with only a couple of offers. Sent his tape to my guy at Houston and he loves him. Would be interested to hear your notes on him. 

First thing I notice is his size and that's something you can't teach. Don't know if he is his listed weight, but he looks very athletic. 1st play he is dropping back in coverage and is 30 yards down field and makes the INT. He also explodes into ball carriers. He would need a year to add weight and strength, but he looks like a good fit for the 4i. Very versatile for his team, lines up at nose, DE , and OLB. 

Could add more, but only got to watch his film once. 

46 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Devurney and Moore are not the same. Both are fast, sure. But Devurney's speed comes out when he's running a straight path. There's no real quicks to him.

Moore is the opposite. He can be caught by some in a straight line race, but he will break some ankles trying to stay with him.

I hope Herman is getting to the bottom of the negative recruiting. Thats unacceptable.

Ah nevermind, SHA already beat me to it

1 hour ago, prosfromdover said:

Of course we need players. We're not going to stop recruiting. And we need OL most of all. But the poster who said "they are all his players now" is right. You make them your players. You find the guys on the roster (full of 4 stars) that fit your scheme and coach the hell out of them.

That Tech game was a huge canary in the coal mine and a lot of fans here have their heads in the sand about it (mixed bird metaphor!). I hope the canary lives and the Ostrich starts kicking ass, but it's very concerning.

Also, the players we are now calling the other guy's players, are mostly people we celebrated because they were to replace the other guys other guys players and bring about a culture change.  I just confused myself. 

1 hour ago, dillohorn said:

Maybe the brilliant people who think that "getting your own guys" is just an excuse would like to see UT with no OL additions by TH next season.

What does that even mean?

Was Conner Williams one of "his guys"? How many defensive players were "his guys"? This board was stupid happy on signing day in 2015 and 2016 but now those guys aren't good any more because they aren't "his guys".

I hope Herman cleans up in recruiting this year and every year after that but to say the team wont be good until all of "his guys" show up is absurd.

I'm not knocking Herman. The same thing was said when Strong took over and then it became "his guys" are young, when they get experience we will be good.

Take the kids you have and make them "your guys", it's called coaching or teaching. When the players aren't performing up to your standard you keep working to get them where they need to be. You don't throw your hands up and say "I cant do anything with these guys because they aren't what I need to be successful". That is an excuse and it divides a team.

Here are the commits slated to officially visit this weekend. 

Many of them will sign early or enroll early.

Casey Thompson 
Keaontay Ingram 
 Al'Vonte Woodard 
Brennan Eagles 
Malcolm Epps 
Reese Moore 
 Rafiti Ghirmai 
Keondre Coburn 
Byron Hobbs 
 Ayodele Adeoye 
Jalen Green 
D'shawn Jamison

Ingram’s team is still in the playoffs, so I’m not sure if he will end up making it in.

It’s also been reported that Florida State Commit Amari Gainer will be visiting this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

What does that even mean?

Was Conner Williams one of "his guys"? How many defensive players were "his guys"? This board was stupid happy on signing day in 2015 and 2016 but now those guys aren't good any more because they aren't "his guys".

I hope Herman cleans up in recruiting this year and every year after that but to say the team wont be good until all of "his guys" show up is absurd.

I'm not knocking Herman. The same thing was said when Strong took over and then it became "his guys" are young, when they get experience we will be good.

Take the kids you have and make them "your guys", it's called coaching or teaching. When the players aren't performing up to your standard you keep working to get them where they need to be. You don't throw your hands up and say "I cant do anything with these guys because they aren't what I need to be successful". That is an excuse and it divides a team.

My statement is plain and simple, but I sure can't see how your response to it makes any sense.......  P.S.    I'm not getting into a pissing contest on a football forum. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

IF there are guys negative recruiting the program from within then they likely have a foot out the door or will eventually be shown it. Just like with Darius White back in the day for those who were following recruiting then. 

That's good to hear. Herman's alignment antics are ripe for twisting by people outside the program (and some on their way out), and I've been a little worried about them myself with all of these departures.