Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burnt Ends - Q&A edition

Mike Roach

The holidays were crazy as I spent time battling with my inlaws wi-fi network in the backwoods of Missouri.  In lieu of Burnt Ends this week we are going to do a recruiting chat since that's about all that's going on right now.  Hit us with your questions and we will do our best to answer.  I'll also be dropping some nuggets here and there throughout this week.

I know it's a ways out in regards to 2018 recruits, but does Barton Clement putting Texas in his top 5 just a week after being offered a good sign? I know the aggy boards think they have him in the bag ( just like a lot of 2018 guys ) but he was offered by UH so their is definitely some familiarity/relationship their with Herman and Warehime. Looks like the best interior guy next year and with the staff mostly going for OT this year seems like he would be a priority. Also have to like Max Wright saying a lot of Houston guys next year have Texas at the top due to Herman.

I know it's a ways out in regards to 2018 recruits, but does Barton Clement putting Texas in his top 5 just a week after being offered a good sign? I know the aggy boards think they have him in the bag ( just like a lot of 2018 guys ) but he was offered by UH so their is definitely some familiarity/relationship their with Herman and Warehime. Looks like the best interior guy next year and with the staff mostly going for OT this year seems like he would be a priority. Also have to like Max Wright saying a lot of Houston guys next year have Texas at the top due to Herman.

I think Texas struggled a bit in Houston in past years while doing well in east Texas and Dallas.  I think they should still be able to do well in east Texas due to Warehime's ability, but I believe we will see Houston and Dallas trade places.  Texas was never on the radar for Clement during the previous regime, but the early returns are strong.  A&M holds a lead, but Texas is definitely now a threat.

Any significant news update on the situation with Kendall Sheffield?

Who do you think will be the next person to commit?

The Sheffield recruitment could stretch until spring because he might not be enrolling next semester.  A lot of people feel that Texas is in it, but it's difficult to get a strong read on things.

I feel like right now it could be anyone.  If I had to guess I'd say Marqez Bimage.

Does Carson's decommitment affect Graham's commitment.  You would think with Carson not making it on campus, the staff would prioritize keeping Graham in the class.  And do we have a contingency plan or other targets at DE now that Carson is out?

This staff knew coming in that Carson probably wasn't going to make it, so they should have been prioritizing this all along.  I'm not sure on any contingency plans, but with the way this staff is going I'd expect one to pop up in January.

EDIT: I didn't put him in originally because he's already on the radar, but I believe Texas will push hard for Bryan Jones of Madison Prep.  He was teammates with Malcolm Roach, and I believe he has Texas and A&M as his top two.

Any status on the injury recovery for RB's Warren and Johnson? If not progressing well, just curious if that would affect recruiting targets (or maybe UT done at RB regardless for 2017).

Both are on a normal recovery path with no setbacks at this time.  Regardless I think that Texas is done for RB recruiting in 2017.

Will Toneil Carter be the highest rated commit for Herman this recruiting season or is there a higher rated player we could bag before the end  of NSD?

Depends on who you are looking at for ratings but there are still a few elite targets on the board (K'Lavon Chaisson and Omar Manning).

Depends on who you are looking at for ratings but there are still a few elite targets on the board (K'Lavon Chaisson and Omar Manning).

Since you brought up his name...what is the status of Manning and Texas? Is he leaning to the flip or is it turning the other way? We all know how hard TCU negative recruits against UT so the longer he stays committed, the less likely it is IMO.