Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3-star OT Derek Kerstetter Flips from Oklahoma State to Texas (Story by Daniel Seahorn)

Harrison Wier

With Walker Little opting to head to Palo Alto and Chuck Filiaga leaving a Texas out of his top three, the Longhorns quickly entered the picture for Derek Kerstetter as they looked for an offensive tackle for this recruiting cycle. Tom Herman and his staff offered Kerstetter awhile back when they were still at Houston and I’ve been told that offensive line coach Derek Warehime loves him as a prospect and his potential.

Not long after being offered by Texas, Kerstetter setup a January official visit to Austin so it was clear the Longhorns had his interest. It seems that things moved a little quicker than expected even with Kerstetter being committed to Oklahoma State for some time now, as today he made the call to Tom Herman and announced today he wanted to be a Longhorn and play his college ball just up the road from his hometown of San Antonio.

Kerstetter held offers from Colorado State, Houston, Illinois, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Toledo before deciding to make the call and pledge to the Longhorns.

Film Review:

At 6’5, 280 pounds, Kerstetter possesses a solid frame that will allow him to stick at tackle or potentially kick inside if things don’t work out there. While Kerstetter may not be a potential plug and play caliber like Little or Filiaga, he's still a quality pickup with some nice upside who netted Army All-American honors. One of the main takeaways for me after watching Kerstetter on film is his nasty streak and ability to finish defenders. If you have ever read my takes on OL play then you know being nasty and finding finishers is high on my priority list, and Kerstetter checks both of those boxes for sure.

Additionally, he does a solid job of getting to the second level defenders in the run game and he also does a decent job of setting the edge on outside zone plays, which requires athleticism and good footwork. His time at the Army All-American game will be important because it will allow me to get a better gauge on how he holds up in pass protection, but from is on his cutups he holds up just fine. Kerstetter is likely a redshirt candidate when he hits campus, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player or a quality take. With the depth on campus, Kerstetter can take that first year to acclimate and add the necessary weight he will need.

Final Verdict:

Some probably aren’t as familiar with Kerstetter and for some it may not be as sexy as landing a player or Little or Filiaga’s caliber, but after taking a large offensive line class this past recruiting cycle, Texas is able to take a guy like Kerstetter and take the time to mold and development him over his first couple seasons on campus as he fills out and adjusts to the college game. For me he reminds of when Texas signed Garrett Thomas out of Louisiana in 2015.

He’s not a guy who you will be able to toss into the two deep from a skillset perspective on day one, but he has some tools and skills that can be developed over time after benefitting from a redshirt. Texas is in a great position now to where they can afford to take players like this and take the time to develop them rather than have to throwing them into fire early on and hope they pan out.

As I said previously, I am looking forward to seeing how Kerstetter fares against some of the elite players in the country in early January at the Army All-American game, as it should give us a better idea of where he is at in his development skills wise. 

I don't know anything about judging football talent, but when you are 6'5", 270lbs and move as well as he does, I think I could find a place to play him.  I really like this pick-up- you can never too many big bodies that can move.  Keep the Lets Ride show rolling.

Texas will not sign the 5 star guys this year mainly due to them being early enrollees so it will be interesting if with the 2018 class Herman and staff can change that trend. that does not mean the 2017 class can`t be really good plenty of talent recruit until they sign especially Little. this staff has chance to make big impression because Strong did leave young talent. on the o-line losing only Perkins and having redshirted 3 talented guys plus Shack,Delance and Okafor the o-line should no longer have true frosh starting.

Kersetter is exactly what I expected this time around for Herman.  Projects with upside but not necessarily the 4 or 5 stars after their names.  This due to the extremely short season he is dealing with at UT for the 2017 class. 

There are many starters returning (not sure I am with everyone on the great talent angle) and no desperate need for a kid to come right in and start.  He may hit a home run here and there, but players who project with potential that needs to be developed is fine this time around. 

When we say Strong left a lot of talent (several have mentioned it) what are we basing that on?  Is it rankings coming out of high school? 

I watched them play for the last three years, and saw many records of futility being broken. 

I hear ya brother....I am a little tired of being told how talented this team is.....when it couldnt even achieve a 500 record.

Having said that, Herman will inherit a legit AA lineman and the rest at least have experience, plus, three or four guys that were red shirted. Frankly, until they hit the field we dont know how"talented" they really are.That is miles and miles better than what Strong started with.....We had to switch D linemen to offense just to have some bodies there.

You have to understand that I have been in Koolaide recovery for only 3 months, so I am not sure how rational any of my arguments are.

Kersetter is exactly what I expected this time around for Herman. Projects with upside but not necessarily the 4 or 5 stars after their names. This due to the extremely short season he is dealing with at UT for the 2017 class.

There are many starters returning (not sure I am with everyone on the great talent angle) and no desperate need for a kid to come right in and start. He may hit a home run here and there, but players who project with potential that needs to be developed is fine this time around.

I don't see Kerstetter coming in from day one and starting over anyone on the roster. You will have guys entrenched at LT, LG, and C and you will have guys with more experience and seasoning battling for the other two spots.

OL is one of the positions I feel confident in saying the depth is in good shape heading into the spring. Texas doesn't need to rush guys onto the field here and can continue to strengthen the pipeline.