Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Joe Mixon Tape....

Daniel Seahorn

Let me start out by saying the Mixon tape is disturbing at best. I am also a Longhorn die hard fan and love seeing misery for OU.

I also just watched the Mixon press conference. I didn't realize this was over two years ago. He sat out a year suspended and had to adhere to certain requirements before returning to the field. 

Whether or not he should have ever returned to OU's team can be debated. I for one can never forgive breaking a girls jaw even if she did hit you first. But Mixon was also 18. When I was 18 my fuse was a lot shorter and I was much stupider. 

What is my point?

Can Mixon be allowed to redeem himself? Has he been a discipline problem since this incident? 

I believe in redemption. I think people can learn lessons from past mistakes. I also think if not given a second chance, some kids can go down a path that destroys them and those in their path. Especially kids with  no stable home life who used athletics to bette their situation. 

I have no clue about Mixons home life. But I believe everyone should be allowed to redeem themselves. 

This is my opinion. Take that into consideration before attacking the messenger if you disagree.

Let me start out by saying the Mixon tape is disturbing at best. I am also a Longhorn die hard fan and love seeing misery for OU.

I also just watched the Mixon press conference. I didn't realize this was over two years ago. He sat out a year suspended and had to adhere to certain requirements before returning to the field. 

Whether or not he should have ever returned to OU's team can be debated. I for one can never forgive breaking a girls jaw even if she did hit you first. But Mixon was also 18. When I was 18 my fuse was a lot shorter and I was much stupider. 

What is my point?

Can Mixon be allowed to redeem himself? Has he been a discipline problem since this incident? 

I believe in redemption. I think people can learn lessons from past mistakes. I also think if not given a second chance, some kids can go down a path that destroys them and those in their path. Especially kids with  no stable home life who used athletics to bette their situation. 

I have no clue about Mixons home life. But I believe everyone should be allowed to redeem themselves. 

This is my opinion. Take that into consideration before attacking the messenger if you disagree.

My understanding is that the "suspension year" was handled like a redshirt year, so he is losing no playing time.

My understanding is that the "suspension year" was handled like a redshirt year, so he is losing no playing time.

That could be true. Probably is. 

But Stoops does have a reputation of cutting loose problem athletes. Rhett Bomar, etc...

Is it possible this kid learned from his mistake? 

I could care less. But I also don't want a decent humans life ruined over one mistake. It was a horrible mistake. But if he learned his lesson, maybe he can be an example down the line. 

"Suspension". Stoops has a record of keeping these types on his team, and allowing transfers with this type of behavior join his team. He can act like he is saving all of these lost souls all he wants, but he is not a role model here. Look how this type of accommodation played out at Balylor. With that said, hopefully this meathead "kid" will actually learn from this. My guess is he hasn't based on the tweets he sent out over the last few years referring to his hardship and cocky attitude. Lessons are hard, his was made easy by Stoops and the OU administration letting him run a few gassers and lifting some weights.

Added: Bomar didn't beat up women, he was busted accepting money and gifts I believe from boosters. That was publicly out and Stoops had to act is my guess. No suppressed video of Bomar sleeping on the fake job.

Wouldn't necessarily say he "learned" his lesson. Just this year he was suspended for a game for another incident with a lady campus police officer. Made a ass of himself and lost his cool. He clearly has zero respect for women....Once you start hitting women it doesn't leave you, and when you know you can can get away with it makes it that much worse... Once a beater always a beater, once a coward always a coward.....

• 2 weeks later...

Stooped did his press conference today, on every station here.... basically said 2 things that stick out. It was a swift decision (mind blowing) and 2 1/2 years ago when it happened and when the decisions were made people looked At hitting women differently. Saying now 2 years later kids will not get second chances from society .... what's changed? I was always under the understanding to not hit a woman and diffuse the situation unless ur life is in danger...... and 2nd he said "had nothing to do with being a 5 star recruit. You gotta remember he never played a down on this football team and we have had many players that were 4 and 5 stars that didnt pan out..... what a pile of SH!T. Can't stand the man.... NOW that the video is out there a 0 tolerance issue... ok mr stoopes what about the parking ticket incident which was ALSO a anger management towards a woman. Worthless....

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that the laws on Assault and Battery were pretty well defined in 1951 or did the following not apply to women living in Oklahoma 2 1/2 years ago? 

2015 Oklahoma Statutes

Title 21. Crimes and Punishments

§21-646. Aggravated assault and battery defined.

Universal Citation: 21 OK Stat § 21-646 (2015)

A. An assault and battery becomes aggravated when committed under any of the following circumstances:

1. When great bodily injury is inflicted upon the person assaulted; or

2. When committed by a person of robust health or strength upon one who is aged, decrepit, or incapacitated, as defined in Section 641 of this title.

B. For purposes of this section “great bodily injury†means bone fracture, protracted and obvious disfigurement, protracted loss or impairment of the function of a body part, organ or mental faculty, or substantial risk of death.

Added by Laws 1951, p. 59, § 1. Amended by Laws 1957, p. 161, § 2; Laws 1989, c. 197, § 10, eff. Nov. 1, 1989; Laws 2002, c. 460, § 6, eff. Nov. 1, 2002.

Makes me angry watching him and Mayfield. Two people so easy to hate

Apparently Mixon responded to auburn fans chanting "he hits women" by calling for "more noise". Mayfield is a punk, trash talks everything and constantly gets in everyone's faces. I've said this a million times on the board that he reminds me of McGee the a&m QB who acted just the same.