Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inside Scoop on Joey McGuire

DFW Hornsfan

Joey McGuire has been offered college jobs for years now. He has never come close to taking a job because of his son. That is until Strong offered him one last year. Texas was his dream job. He labored over that decision and even had the blessing of his son for whom he ultimately chose over UT. 

His son is graduating and now there was not a reason for him to turn down a good job if offered.

Joey was friends with Herman. They had made contact when Herman got the job. No job was offered, but Herman also didn't have one readily available.

McGuire actually had interest in the Abilene Christian University job as a Head Coach. That was actually a next level head coaching job he could have succeeded at. Not sure if they ever talked, but McGuire was intrigued.

McGuire has been contacted by multiple Division 1 schools since Cedar Hill was eliminated from the playoffs.

The next part is what scares me.

He told my source after a two hour meeting with Rhule that he was the guy he wanted to work for.

Rhule is making impressions since coming to Texas. With the options McGuire had on the table it says a lot that he picked Rhule as his first college job. Coaches who are looking to be the next high school coach to rise up to a power conference head coach, doesn't just pick any old job. He chooses someone he believes is on the rise. Herman would be an example. I have no doubt that he would have taken a job at UT if one was offered.

I have a fear that Rhule might be the real deal. Briles was scum, but he turned Baylor around. Look at Morris at SMU. He won't win national championships. But if he continues to upset ranked teams like a Herman coached Houston, he will get a P5 job. He turned down Baylor.

I think missing out of McGuire was huge mistake for Herman. Rhule may have something. He impressed a Texas High School coach who had no pressure to leave Cedar Hill. He had talent returning and was NOT just going to take any old job available. He was blown away by Rhule.

We will see

Joey McGuire has been offered college jobs for years now. He has never come close to taking a job because of his son. That is until Strong offered him one last year. Texas was his dream job. He labored over that decision and even had the blessing of his son for whom he ultimately chose over UT. 

His son is graduating and now there was not a reason for him to turn down a good job if offered.

Joey was friends with Herman. They had made contact when Herman got the job. No job was offered, but Herman also didn't have one readily available.

McGuire actually had interest in the Abilene Christian University job as a Head Coach. That was actually a next level head coaching job he could have succeeded at. Not sure if they ever talked, but McGuire was intrigued.

McGuire has been contacted by multiple Division 1 schools since Cedar Hill was eliminated from the playoffs.

The next part is what scares me.

He told my source after a two hour meeting with Rhule that he was the guy he wanted to work for.

Rhule is making impressions since coming to Texas. With the options McGuire had on the table it says a lot that he picked Rhule as his first college job. Coaches who are looking to be the next high school coach to rise up to a power conference head coach, doesn't just pick any old job. He chooses someone he believes is on the rise. Herman would be an example. I have no doubt that he would have taken a job at UT if one was offered.

I have a fear that Rhule might be the real deal. Briles was scum, but he turned Baylor around. Look at Morris at SMU. He won't win national championships. But if he continues to upset ranked teams like a Herman coached Houston, he will get a P5 job. He turned down Baylor.

I think missing out of McGuire was huge mistake for Herman. Rhule may have something. He impressed a Texas High School coach who had no pressure to leave Cedar Hill. He had talent returning and was NOT just going to take any old job available. He was blown away by Rhule.

We will see

So you're saying that we, and everyone else in the conference, are now playing for 2nd place because of Rhule and a high school coach. Got it. 

So you're saying that we, and everyone else in the conference, are now playing for 2nd place because of Rhule and a high school coach. Got it. 

What an arrogant response on your part.

Of course I didn't say that. I am saying that Rhule is better than we expected and we lost out on the best high school coach available to help with recruiting. '

We all dismissed Rhule because he has no ties to this state. Well he just got in every living room with McGuire. Sure its hard to see how Baylor is more appealing to Texas. But to some the arrogance at UT is a turn off. They usually go to OU if they are 4 or 5 star recruits. Well now Baylor has leg inside those doors. Those high school coaches help out a guy who comes from where they are.

Brewster isn't coming. We need a top notch recruiter on Herman's staff.

Congrats to McGuire, glad he picked up the job. He'll do well for the Bears.

Thats where I stop agreeing with you. Dark days are ahead for the Baylor program. It began this season, will carry on next season, and will come crashing down on them in year 3. Why? Because a two year void in recruiting will take its toll on any program it happens to.

Rhule being a nice guy is nothing to get worked up about. I'm glad he's nice and gets along with people. Grant Teaff had those traits as well. Yet, Briles and his scum methods and goals were quite a bit more successful than those of Teaff.

Great for Baylor. They had to hire somebody to be HC. But I'm not ready to fall in love with someone who's been on the job a week. In fact, if you had told me that Texas hired Rhule instead of Herman, I'd be pretty ticked off right now.

What Baylor did is nice. But I'm a thousand times more stoked about Herman and the staff he's putting together. I think sometimes we get locked into thinking that there's only one way to success and we have it figured out. So if the actions don't match our preconceived truth, then we very prematurely deem it a bust. I think thats in play here.

I think I'll wait it out and see what happens.

What an arrogant response on your part.

Of course I didn't say that. I am saying that Rhule is better than we expected and we lost out on the best high school coach available to help with recruiting. '

We all dismissed Rhule because he has no ties to this state. Well he just got in every living room with McGuire. Sure its hard to see how Baylor is more appealing to Texas. But to some the arrogance at UT is a turn off. They usually go to OU if they are 4 or 5 star recruits. Well now Baylor has leg inside those doors. Those high school coaches help out a guy who comes from where they are.

Brewster isn't coming. We need a top notch recruiter on Herman's staff.

Not exactly sure what Rhule has done that makes you say Rhule is better than we expected. Please enlighten us.

Not exactly sure what Rhule has done that makes you say Rhule is better than we expected. Please enlighten us.

I figured a Northeast Coach coming to Texas was a disaster for Baylor. (Machovic)

I figured McGuire was the cream of the crop coming out of high school. I have seen him with kids and opposing coaches. He is liked and respected by other coaches and loved by his kids. He coached in an area with higher minority kids than a lot of successful programs (IE Allen, Southlake, Katy, Westlake and Lake Travis) It means he wasn't just their coach. He was their male role model. When he sits in a living room with a single mom of a 5 star DT out of Houston, he has had that conversation for 15 years. He has experienced those parents or grand parents. He knows how to get what he needs out of those kids. This isn't Dodge leaving Southlake where every parent has their kid with personal trainers and the nicest equipment. Cedar Hill is DISD light. 

If Rhule impressed him enough to not wait for UT or another Big 12 school. It means he sees something. 

This wasn't his only offer. 

Baylor may pick up some quick commits. Forget Rambo now. He is OU all the way. Or he follows McGuire to Baylor. Texas is no longer an option for him and he is a complete stud. 

I figured a Northeast Coach coming to Texas was a disaster for Baylor. (Machovic)

I figured McGuire was the cream of the crop coming out of high school. I have seen him with kids and opposing coaches. He is liked and respected by other coaches and loved by his kids. He coached in an area with higher minority kids than a lot of successful programs (IE Allen, Southlake, Katy, Westlake and Lake Travis) It means he wasn't just their coach. He was their male role model. When he sits in a living room with a single mom of a 5 star DT out of Houston, he has had that conversation for 15 years. He has experienced those parents or grand parents. He knows how to get what he needs out of those kids. This isn't Dodge leaving Southlake where every parent has their kid with personal trainers and the nicest equipment. Cedar Hill is DISD light. 

If Rhule impressed him enough to not wait for UT or another Big 12 school. It means he sees something. 

This wasn't his only offer. 

Baylor may pick up some quick commits. Forget Rambo now. He is OU all the way. Or he follows McGuire to Baylor. Texas is no longer an option for him and he is a complete stud. 

Are you saying that Rhule is better than expected solely because he hired McGuire? Or is there more?

It really sounds like you have a very close relationship with McGuire. 

Are you saying that Rhule is better than expected solely because he hired McGuire? Or is there more?

It really sounds like you have a very close relationship with McGuire. 

Yes I am saying that about Rhule. I do not have a close relationship with McGuire, but I am very close to people he is. In fact  one person I am close to is his closest confidant. 

From what I was hearing, Rhule was never an option. McGuire was not going to just take a job. I expected him to only consider Texas, TCU or OU. (Because he and his wife were not ready to start moving around every few years with no real job security. Texas, TCU and OU have coaches with security) I really didn't think Houston or Baylor had a shot. That's why he was intrigued by the ACU head coaching job. In fact he was happy staying at Cedar Hill if the right job didn't come along. 

But my source said that Rhule blew him away. When he left he said he would work for that guy if offered. 

He had talked with other HC's about other jobs. But Rhule blew him away. 

Texas, TCU and OU hadn't made offers, but he was on their radars. 

I am a UT fan and a McGuire fan. I think we may have missed out. 

More importantly, If Rhule blew him away he must be impressive. 

Yes I am saying that about Rhule. I do not have a close relationship with McGuire, but I am very close to people he is. In fact  one person I am close to is his closest confidant. 

From what I was hearing, Rhule was never an option. McGuire was not going to just take a job. I expected him to only consider Texas, TCU or OU. (Because he and his wife were not ready to start moving around every few years with no real job security. Texas, TCU and OU have coaches with security) I really didn't think Houston or Baylor had a shot. That's why he was intrigued by the ACU head coaching job. In fact he was happy staying at Cedar Hill if the right job didn't come along. 

But my source said that Rhule blew him away. When he left he said he would work for that guy if offered. 

He had talked with other HC's about other jobs. But Rhule blew him away. 

Texas, TCU and OU hadn't made offers, but he was on their radars. 

I am a UT fan and a McGuire fan. I think we may have missed out. 

More importantly, If Rhule blew him away he must be impressive. 

Okay, McGuire will probably turn out to be a good hire for Rhule. But whether or not he is a difference-maker is yet to be determined. 

Okay, McGuire will probably turn out to be a good hire for Rhule. But whether or not he is a difference-maker is yet to be determined.

Agree, Traylor with a similar pedigree. He was effective in recruiting east Tx, but that did not and has not led to dominance and a successful run this far.

Dear lord folks... Baylor hires one freaking high school coach who has proven nothing at the college level.. I fell pretty confident that the success of the Herman era at Texas is not going to be determined by Baylor hiring this particular high school coach...

Baylor is already back to being an after thought. They don't worry me anymore. Hell , even Strong's Longhorns beat them the last 2 years. We need to get TCU back to their rightful place as cockroaches next. I believe Herman will do so. 

I always laugh when people claim any college program is just one high school coach away from greatness.

Does anyone think Nick Saban is concerned in the least about Joey McGuire leaving his high school job to coach at Baylor? Or Urban Meyer? Or any college head coach?

High school coaching reputations are largely regional. Joey McGuire isn't a bigger brand name than the Texas Longhorns. Or the OU brand. Or any major college brand. Kids don't grow up wearing Joey McGuire sweatshirts or wanting to play for Joey McGuire.

If Tom Herman works his ass off, Joey McGuire is going to be nothing more than a former high school head coach who went to work for a poorly run church school that pissed a quarter billion dollars down the drain because they were indifferent to recruiting thugs and didn't care whether their athletes routinely raped the female students. Art Briles wasn't the only Baylor administrator who didn't care that the football players were routinely raping the female students.

There is a cultural sickness at Baylor that allowed that scandal to exist. Joey McGuire isn't going to cure the cultural sickness at Baylor. Kids are going to want to play for schools they grew up wanting to play for, big brands will continue to have their allure.

If Herman manages to win more than five games a season, things at Texas will be ok.

I always laugh when people claim any college program is just one high school coach away from greatness.

Does anyone think Nick Saban is concerned in the least about Joey McGuire leaving his high school job to coach at Baylor? Or Urban Meyer? Or any college head coach?

High school coaching reputations are largely regional. Joey McGuire isn't a bigger brand name than the Texas Longhorns. Or the OU brand. Or any major college brand. Kids don't grow up wearing Joey McGuire sweatshirts or wanting to play for Joey McGuire.

If Tom Herman works his ass off, Joey McGuire is going to be nothing more than a former high school head coach who went to work for a poorly run church school that pissed a quarter billion dollars down the drain because they were indifferent to recruiting thugs and didn't care whether their athletes routinely raped the female students. Art Briles wasn't the only Baylor administrator who didn't care that the football players were routinely raping the female students.

There is a cultural sickness at Baylor that allowed that scandal to exist. Joey McGuire isn't going to cure the cultural sickness at Baylor. Kids are going to want to play for schools they grew up wanting to play for, big brands will continue to have their allure.

If Herman manages to win more than five games a season, things at Texas will be ok.

Hate to break it to you, but kids coming of age to play college football haven't seen the Texas Longhorns as a top notch program. Baylor has been a better football school lately. In fact a lot better. Texas has also recruited its share of thugs over the years. Baylor will probably not have a great recruiting class. But they will get some kids over the next few years that we won't. Rhule may fail. But McGuire was a great hire that I wish we had made. The fact he impressed McGuire is what scares me about Rhule. He may have something. 

The fact he impressed McGuire is what scares me about Rhule. He may have something. 

Someone sounds infatuated with McGuire and Rhule.  Im sure there is a Baylor board somewhere for you to express your glowing admirations.  People here fkn hate Baylor and everything they allowed at that school. 

Hate to break it to you, but kids coming of age to play college football haven't seen the Texas Longhorns as a top notch program. Baylor has been a better football school lately. In fact a lot better. Texas has also recruited its share of thugs over the years. Baylor will probably not have a great recruiting class. But they will get some kids over the next few years that we won't. Rhule may fail. But McGuire was a great hire that I wish we had made. The fact he impressed McGuire is what scares me about Rhule. He may have something. 

High school kids, and parents of high school kids have seen a institutional indifference to a culture of rape on the Baylor campus a lot more recently than they have seen Texas play for even a conference championship. They have seen the Baylor rape scandal on the evening news, they have heard their neighbors and teachers mention it, they have heard classmates say they will never go to Baylor because of it. And they haven't heard the last of it. The lawsuits against the school will go on for years and the sordid details will be made painfully public. The Baylor athletic program has a stench to it that will not go away anytime soon. Murder was bad. Now this.

Pull up Joey McGuire's mug shot from when he got arrested for drunk driving. If your kid was thinking about playing for Baylor, and you knew the top administrators who allowed the culture of rape to fester on campus were still running the school, would you ask Joey if he had his drinking problem under control? Would you ask him in from of your kid? I sure would. No one connected with the Baylor program is going to be given a pass by parents who want the best for their sons who want to go to a school that can help them get a good start in life. Not for the rest of our lifetimes.

Herman has said that if the top player at any position doesn't want to play for Texas, he will go out of state to seek the best player he could find for that position. Do you think any athlete from Florida, or California, or even from Louisiana cares who Joey McGuire is?

Baylor will never recruit nationally. That alone will limit their upside. They will have to compete for recruits against every other program that wants talent from the Lone Star State. Two years from now, no one will remember Joey McGuire's high school coaching achievements. During those two years, the Baylor program is going to go through hell. Their non-existent 2016 recruiting class will set the program back a lot. 2017 will probably not be any better.

Baylor is not the problem for UT football.

Pull up Joey McGuire's mug shot from when he got arrested for drunk driving. If your kid was thinking about playing for Baylor, and you knew the top administrators who allowed the culture of rape to fester on campus were still running the school, would you ask Joey if he had his drinking problem under control? Would you ask him in from of your kid? I sure would.

Umm...not McGuire's best look, unfortunately.

Not that UT coaches need to negative recruit against him to get an edge on Baylor. 

28773831_1_27611_ver1.0.jpg

As DMAC said at the top of this page, you are totally infatuated with Joey McGuire. And you seem to be pretty infatuated with Baylor football.