Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coaching News... (UPDATE: Drew Mehringer Officially Hired)

Daniel Seahorn

Here's a little bit about him from BON.

If the first-year Rutgers offensive coordinator does come to Texas, it will be because of his longtime relationship with Herman. The Mansfield native was briefly a quarterback at Rice under Herman before an injury ended his career. For his remaining college years, he served as a student assistant, then spent four years as a graduate assistant, the last two of them with Herman at Ohio State.

After joining the Buckeyes, Herman told head coach Urban Meyer that Mehringer was a guy he wanted to bring with him. According to Meyer, the decision to bring Mehringer to Columbus was a success.

“I love Drew,†Meyer told NJ.com this year. “Drew was a big part of our success, very intelligent. I trusted Drew with a lot of things that I usually don't trust with young people."

When the new Texas head coach took the job at Houston in 2015, Mehringer joined him as the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. Expect him to play a key recruiting role on Herman’s staff.

At the time of Mehringer’s departure to Rutgers, Herman called him the “brightest young coach in America.â€

WTF???  LOL Rutgers is dead last in FBS in total offense?  #128 

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p3

It better be his recruiting cause if he was OC at Rutgers

The Rutgers situation in general left a lot to be desired. This guy basically had no chance to succeed. 

Urban Meyer has good things to say about him and he evidently is a very good recruiter. 

Think "alignment" with this hire. He will be in lockstep with Herman in every area.

Don't be shocked if this is not the most surprising successful hire. 

The Rutgers situation in general left a lot to be desired. This guy basically had no chance to succeed. 

Urban Meyer has good things to say about him and he evidently is a very good recruiter. 

Think "alignment" with this hire. He will be in lockstep with Herman in every area.

Don't be shocked if this is not the most surprising successful hire. 

While I understand what you are saying, still 283 yards per game?  

That means Kansas gained more yards than this team.

Why?

Not to be argumentative, NTG, but what made his situation at Rutgers so difficult? They've been successful in the past under Schiano. I'm just trying to understand why his offense ranked 122nd in passing this year.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p3

But, this is our new "passing game coordinator"? Woof

Agreed

Mehringer had better be a damn good recruiter! This has a Shawn Watson look about it.

Exactly I almost said that in my response to NTG.

This is a very curious hire.  We always hear, with all the resources and this is what we come up with?

He better be a Brewster Jr.

While I understand what you are saying, still 283 yards per game?

That means Kansas gained more yards than this team.

Reportedly, he's not coming as OC. He'll be given titles WR coach and"Passing Game Coordinator" but it's being reported that he will not be calling the plays. I've read that he's a good position coach and a great recruiter, so we'll see what happens

Reportedly, he's not coming as OC. He'll be given titles WR coach and"Passing Game Coordinator" but it's being reported that he will not be calling the plays. I've read that he's a good position coach and a great recruiter, so we'll see what happens

Did Herman or Applewhite call the plays at UH?

Anybody know?

Did Herman or Applewhite call the plays at UH?

Anybody know?

Most people seem to think Herman, but I've read several articles that praised Major's play calling abilities this year and it was also something talked about during broadcasts. So I think it was Major with Herman having a heavy say in the game plan

Why?

Not to be argumentative, NTG, but what made his situation at Rutgers so difficult? They've been successful in the past under Schiano. I'm just trying to understand why his offense ranked 122nd in passing this year.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p3

But, this is our new "passing game coordinator"? Woof

Rutgers just finished their 3rd year in the Big 10 and have won a grand total of 4 conference games. They simply don't have the talent to compete at that level. In golf, we call it LOFT, "Lack Of F...ing Talent".

Hell, prior to that they were in the Big East and were barely competitive at best after Schiano left. Their success under Schiano came in the Big East and he hasn't been there since 2011. 

I'm also guessing that there's a reason why this guy was an OC at a P5 conference school before age 30. 

Mehringer has worked with Herman at 4 different stops (Ohio State, Rice, Iowa State and UH). Mehringer knows the system and knows what Herman demands. Mehringer also has Texas roots. He grew up playing HS ball in Texas and attended Rice. Throw in the fact he was a good recruiter at Rutgers and UH. 

This hire shouldn't even be a surprise. He checks off all the boxes you want in a position coach.

Ayers had 465 yards receiving, 4 yards rushing and 3 TDs in 2 years at UH prior to Mehringer and Herman. In 1 year under Herman/Mehringer he had 1221 yards receiving, 148 yards rushing, and 7 TDs. 

Chance Allen went from 98 yards receiving and 1 TD at Oregon to 752 yards receiving and 7 TDs in year 1 under Herman/Mehringer. 

Steven Dunbar went from 286 yards receiving and 0 TDs in 1 year at UH to 382 yards receiving and 3 TDs in 1 year under Herman/Mehringer. 

Houston's top 3 WRs under Mehringer were nobodies until he became the coach.

Rutgers just finished their 3rd year in the Big 10 and have won a grand total of 4 conference games. They simply don't have the talent to compete at that level. In golf, we call it LOFT, "Lack Of F...ing Talent".

Hell, prior to that they were in the Big East and were barely competitive at best after Schiano left. Their success under Schiano came in the Big East and he hasn't been there since 2011. 

I'm also guessing that there's a reason why this guy was an OC at a P5 conference school before age 30. 

Maybe, but his first go as an OC wasn't successful. Perhaps he wasn't quite ready for that responsibility?

We have no choice, at this point, but to trust Herman's judgement and he should have the flexibility to hire anyone he wants. But, Mehringer doesn't look good on paper regardless of what boxes he checks. Yeah, I know, we've gotta give him a chance...

Maybe, but his first go as an OC wasn't successful. Perhaps he wasn't quite ready for that responsibility?

We have no choice, at this point, but to trust Herman's judgement and he should have the flexibility to hire anyone he wants. But, Mehringer doesn't look good on paper regardless of what boxes he checks. Yeah, I know, we've gotta give him a chance...

Here is your first sentence rephrased to accurately reflect the reality of the situation.

Maybe, but his first go as an OC at a school, that had little or no talent, wasn't successful.