Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winning is Hard: Thoughts on Tom Herman's Introductory Press Conference.

Mike Roach

1) It was a banner day on the 40 Acres for a lot of fans who got what they wanted in new Head Coach Tom Herman.  The attitude around the program is peppy after three years of difficulty, and one staffer described everyone having a bit more spring in their step.  Greg Fenves had a perma-smile on his face as he spoke about the hiring process and why they chose to go with Herman.  "We got our man, and that man is the hottest coach in college football right now", said Fenves.  For the UT President, he has to be relieved to get this thing over with quickly. 

2) I thought Tom Herman "won the press conference" as much as it could be won.  If I were giving him a rating it would probably be close to a 10/10.  Herman checked all of the right boxes and came off very polished during his initial press meeting.  

3) It was a strong play by Herman to repeatedly praise the state's high school coaches, and it was a play right out of the Mack Brown playbook.  I remember in 2006 watching the National Championship game with some high school coaches, and seeing them beam when Mack Brown thanked them and their peers shortly after raising the crystal football.  The bottom line is, that stuff matters in this state and Herman knows it.  He went so far as to individually call out a few Houston-area coaches by name.  

4) Inclusiveness was a hallmark of Mack Brown's tenure at Texas, and you could tell that rubbed off on Herman during his previous tenure here.  Herman opened the presser by saying things would be opened to the aforementioned high school coaches and former players.  That's not to say that the program was closed when Charlie Strong was in office, but it was important and refreshing to hear it from Herman.

5) I thought Herman did his best to put off a professional aura, but you could tell there was some giddiness about getting this job coming out.  The best example was when he gave Mack Brown a big hug in the audience, and the smile on his face couldn't have been bigger.  

6) You hear the phrase "detail oriented" so much in this business, and I thought that attitude bled through everywhere when Herman talked about the way he approaches coaching.  Those things matter, and they permeate throughout the entire program from academic performance, to offseason work, to recruiting, and play on the field.  

7) I thought the best thing Herman did all day was blend the personalities of each coach he's worked for together.  While he definitely had a Mack Brown "family feel" aspect about him, he also showed some disciplinarian aspects of his philosophy.  So many times in coaching searches there's a desire by programs to over-correct and go between "player's coach" and "disciplinarian", and I thought Herman split the difference quite nicely.  Strong drew love from his players by balancing the two, and I think Herman is the same type of guy.

8) It was nice to see that Herman came out of the gates talking about toughness.  I anticipated some feel good moments where he would talk about loving the players and getting them on board, but he mentioned twice that there would be changes, and players would have to earn that love.  Two quotes I absolutely loved from today, "This program is going to be really hard.  Winning is hard", and "The TLC has to be earned, it's not going to be camp Texas around here".  

9) Tom Herman's most important recruiting job right now is D'Onta Foreman.  We've talked about how similar this was to when Ricky Williams came back, and the impact could be felt in the same way.  

10) All of this said, let's not go too crazy over a press conference.  The talent is here, but this team has a long way to go.

Good first showing by our new HC.  

Was good to see Mack as well.  

Herman seems to handle the spotlight a lot like Mack did.  

10) All of this said, let's not go too crazy over a press conference.  The talent is here, but this team has a long way to go.

Yes.  Anxiously awaiting staff picks since this was ultimately Strong's demise.

The more I am hearing I don't think Major will be the OC. It needs to be someone that can handle the QB situation well. He must bring in someone that can be good in the metroplex. Meekins will have to really battle the SEC schools in Houston and he needs someone that can beat OU, TCU in the metroplex. Recruiting Houston kids to come to Houston is much easier because you still aren't battling the LSUs, OUs, A&Ms consistently for kids. Kids are not just going to come to UT off of Hermans name.

I'm going to play devils advocate here but how important is D'Onta Foreman's recruitment? I don't see the similarities between him and Ricky's recruitment. Ricky was going to be a Top 5 pick; right now D'Onta isn't a Day 1 draft pick. I'm not saying Texas doesn't need him, but he isn't a make or break player.

I'm going to play devils advocate here but how important is D'Onta Foreman's recruitment? I don't see the similarities between him and Ricky's recruitment. Ricky was going to be a Top 5 pick; right now D'Onta isn't a Day 1 draft pick. I'm not saying Texas doesn't need him, but he isn't a make or break player.

I think part of the difference in where D'Onta will likely be drafted has to do with a shift in drafting philosophy regarding running backs.

In 1999 (Ricky's year), RBs were taken at #4 and #5 overall. In 2000, RBs were taken at #5, #7, #11, and #19. Three RBs were taken in the first round in 2001...you get the idea.

Fast forward to more recent drafts: in 2011, no RB was taken until #28 overall. In 2012, only 1 RB was taken in the top 30. In 2013, no RBs were taken in the 1st round. In 2014, none were taken until #54, late in the 2nd round. 2015 was a bit of an anomaly with 2 backs taken in the top 15, but last year, there was only 1 RB taken in the 1st round.

If you look at their college numbers, Ricky and D'Onta are very similar. Ricky averaged 6.2 YPC, and D'Onta has averaged 6.4. IMO, with another great season, D'Onta would move into the 'top tier' RBs in Texas history, alongside Ricky and Earl.

I agree with 83Dee there. The biggest focus is to get these guys focus on a new direction for next season. As far as recruiting is concern. One of main big things that Herman will build with these guys is trust. I know Herman is going to create a gigantic storm in Austin and build it from there. It's going to be a very interesting crootin season. Some reporters may have sleepless nights trying to catch up on all of the recruiting news.

Playing in a bowl game would be a gigantic mistake.  Installing a new offense and defense and trotting kids out there who are still somber after they got their beloved coach fired equals a performance so bad that it potentially derails any positive inroads that have been made in recruiting. 

The only thing i would say is that there are Seniors who might want to play. This could be there last game. I would have no issue with that if the old staff hasn't left.

The only thing i would say is that there are Seniors who might want to play. This could be there last game. I would have no issue with that if the old staff hasn't left.

i empathize with them.  however, no.  too much going on to worry about an insignificant game.  i would rather have herman solidify his staff and start on the recruiting trail; that benefits the program.

Random thoughts...

UH provided three coaches recently to State schools. Here's how it went.

Briles dated and married Baylor, now they're divorced.

Agroid fell in love with and married Sumlin and I guess headed to the 7th Year Itch.

Texas pulled a Hallmark Holiday Movie.

Hit their head and awakened in a 3-year dream of (____ fill in the blank ____).

Realized the lesson, woke up and found their new coach holding their hand.

"It won't be Camp Texas," he said with a grin, "but you're gonna like how it ends!"

Hook'em Horns!! and thanks for the early Christmas present.