Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***Official Update Thread***

UT was stupid and got screwed paying Strong what it did.

How was UT stupid?

I know $5.2 M per year sounds like a terrible deal in hindsight, but that's what it took to hire Strong away from Louisville at the time. He was making $3M + at UL, so we needed to give him an enticement to come here. Did we overpay? Maybe, but Strong was a very hot property at the time.

Y'all know UT is the richest athletic department in the country. It is what it is. We can afford this mistake.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know much about Coach Warehime but I'm sure he's pretty good if Herman wants to bring him with. That said, I'm really sad to see Mattox go. What he did with our O-Line this season was nothing

Only a racist says what Brando said. Racists usually start their conversations by calling their target a racist. Strong was fired for his scoreboard record at UT and Brando knows it. 16 and 21 means y

Conspiracy Theory Alert!   Drayton coaches in Chicago. BevoBlake lives in Chicago.    Have Drayton and BevoBlake ever been seen together?

Posted Images

Exactly. Its the cost of doing business in the CFB industry.

Hell, I think its hilarious that everyone wanted him gone (and he deserved to be let go) and now many are complaining about how much its costing Texas.

I think it's hilarious that someone thinks $5 million per year isn't too much to pay for a coach that had never been a HC at a major program. Louisville is not a top/major program. 

How was UT stupid?

I know $5.2 M per year sounds like a terrible deal in hindsight, but that's what it took to hire Strong away from Louisville at the time. He was making $3M + at UL, so we needed to give him an enticement to come here. Did we overpay? Maybe, but Strong was a very hot property at the time.

Y'all know UT is the richest athletic department in the country. It is what it is. We can afford this mistake.

Stupid to waste money just because you have it.

And how is it any different with Herman? Seems to be very similar to the hire of Strong.

I haven't seen much hand-wringing over Herman's deal. But I don't expend too many brain cells worrying about Texas sports finances, leaving that to those paid to do so.

I am so much more interested in coachin', crootin' and ballin'. 🤘ðŸ»

I think it's hilarious that someone thinks $5 million per year isn't too much to pay for a coach that had never been a HC at a major program. Louisville is not a top/major program.

Except Strong was considered the hottest coach on the market the year we hired him. He had an upward trajectory and a history of success behind him. Easy to say now that it was "too much". It was the price. Had we not got him, he'd be coaching elsewhere for the same amount.

seriously....we paid Strong a lot of money....then again, we had a lot of problems. Our program was a dumpster fire of horrible proportions. Strong cleaned up a big mess and got us back on track. Where he went wrong was that he could not coach the team to win games. That is a damned big part of what a top coach is supposed to do. It is not however the only part. If it was, Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, and Art Bryles would still be coaching.

Could another coach done the cleanup AND won games? Maybe so...probably so....but dont ever think that the money we paid Strong went down a hole. He did a big job for us. He didnt do the complete job, but we are better off for his having been here.

Where he went wrong was that he could not coach the team to win games. That is a damned big part of what a top coach is supposed to do. It is not however the only part. If it was, Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, and Art Briles would still be coaching.

You're one of the few people I've ever read/heard who celebrated Sherrill's and Switzer's coaching acumen.

Most people think it was their recruiting at Pitt/aggy and 0u that made them successful. I'll give you Briles...and he was an underrated recruiter finding 3-star gems for BU.

seriously....we paid Strong a lot of money....then again, we had a lot of problems. Our program was a dumpster fire of horrible proportions. Strong cleaned up a big mess and got us back on track. Where he went wrong was that he could not coach the team to win games. That is a damned big part of what a top coach is supposed to do. It is not however the only part. If it was, Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, and Art Bryles would still be coaching.

Could another coach done the cleanup AND won games? Maybe so...probably so....but dont ever think that the money we paid Strong went down a hole. He did a big job for us. He didnt do the complete job, but we are better off for his having been here.

I believe my definition of "back on track" is a bit different than yours. But, I agree on the clean up job.