Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friday Chat is Open!

Harrison Wier

The rumor is that he enjoys a drink or two or three or more. Supposedly someone connected to Houston made Texas aware of it just this week. 

All sorts of speculation as to whether or not it is true. As well as who is behind it and the motivation behind it. Including Mike Perrin being behind it because he wants Strong, other schools because they want Herman, and even Major Applewhite for which no one really had a reason. Or at least a reason that made any sense whatsover. 

I don't care if he likes to drink. If he wins, he can drink all he wants. Major Applewhite will not come with him. Not happening. 

Harrison (or anyone else), any timetable when a new AD would be hired? I saw something as late as the 3rd quarter of next year. That seems downright insane to me to wait that long.

I really don't know. It's baffling that Perrin is still here. He has not been great, and that's a generous way to put it. Texas needs to hire a real Athletic Director. I don't know when Fenves is planning on doing so. 

I will be the first person to kiss Tom Herman when he gets here. While we're at it, let's dump Fenves and Perrin. 

I think dumping Fenves is premature. He's done good things as president, athletics aside. His main focus is not athletics. Perrin's is. Perrin has not done a good job. I will be the first to advocate for his leave. 

I think dumping Fenves is premature. He's done good things as president, athletics aside. His main focus is not athletics. Perrin's is. Perrin has not done a good job. I will be the first to advocate for his leave. 

Agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fenves is the only reason we have Gilbert. Give the man SOME credit.

...and Fenves has tried to do the right thing for athletics. See flying to Tulsa to woo Sterlin to the 40. 

Now, that's commitment.

Question, since I've seen Gilbert's name mentioned a couple of times, how impressed are "we" with him? Compared to last years atrocious offense I get it. But whether you admit it or not, he cost us the game last week.  And he's made calls prior to last Saturday that leave us scratching our heads. If Herman is such the upgrade over Strong, why isn't Applewhite considered an upgrade over Gilbert? He's in Houston coaching his a$$ off in my not so humble opinion...

Question, since I've seen Gilbert's name mentioned a couple of times, how impressed are "we" with him? Compared to last years atrocious offense I get it. But whether you admit it or not, he cost us the game last week.  And he's made calls prior to last Saturday that leave us scratching our heads. If Herman is such the upgrade over Strong, why isn't Applewhite considered an upgrade over Gilbert? He's in Houston coaching his a$$ off in my not so humble opinion...

No argument

I'm disappointed Gilbert hasn't found a way to utilize Armanti and Duvernay more effectively. IMO, we should run more screens, jet sweeps, and - for God's sake - throw more between the hashes! But, our offensive stats have improved dramatically versus LY. Defensively, they have not.

Your still happy with Gilbert?

Am I frustrated with some of the decisions he's made the last couple of games? Of course I am. However, compared to the dumpster fire we had last season, yes, I'm happy overall. This is the first season the team is running this offense, and this is his first season calling plays. There's going to be growing pains with that. Also, he's got a true freshman QB that's likely been hurt for a good part of the season, and he does not have a reliable RB he can relieve D'Onta with following Warren's injury.

If you're not happy with Gilbert, would you rather have Watson back?

Aside from some questionable play calls Gilbert has Texas ranked #14th nationally in Total Offense.  

2016 - # 14 - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

2015 - # 110 - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/2015/team/21/p3

Now imagine what our record would be without Gilbert.  

That's right, stop kidding yourself into believing Gilbert is to blame for our sub .500 record.

Our problem is our #106 ranking in Total Defense and untimely mistakes.

But whether you admit it or not, he cost us the game last week.

I get where you're coming from but he alone did not cost us the game. The ongoing, smoldering dumpster fire that is Trent Domingue did not help, nor did losing Malik, crappy O-line play, the adverse effect of O-line injuries, and questionable game management by Chuck. It would've been nice to have that timeout instead of wasting it by sending Boo out there on 4th down, calling timeout, and then sending Domingue out there for a FG.

I get where you're coming from but he alone did not cost us the game. The ongoing, smoldering dumpster fire that is Trent Domingue did not help, nor did losing Malik, crappy O-line play, the adverse effect of O-line injuries, and questionable game management by Chuck. It would've been nice to have that timeout instead of wasting it by sending Boo out there on 4th down, calling timeout, and then sending Domingue out there for a FG.

..........and the damn penalties.