Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack's presser comments 8/27 11:00 am

bbdude

• Administrators

Coach Brown is celebrating his 61st birthday and took time to meet with media members to discuss the team as they head into the season opener against Wyoming this Saturday. Here are a few nuggets I was able to take away from the press conference (not verbatim).

• Anthony Fera ruled out of Saturday’s game against Wyoming as he nurses a sore groin.
  • We want a kicking game that is exciting! We don’t want people going to get a hot dog when the kicking game marches out on the field.
  • Still do not know who will be running the Wild Horn but it will probably be two players.
  • David Ash is much more confident now than he was at any time during the Holiday Bowl or in the preseason.
  • I have never seen David play as well as he has these last two days.
  • The drama of who is going to start at a particular position is more “public” drama than anything else.
  • A big concern is the lack of turnovers the defense has force in preseason. This could very well be that the offensive is protecting the ball particularly well. We want to see more turnovers from the defense.
  • It will be 100 degrees on Saturday and 93 degrees at game time. We need to think about how much we will substitute and wo we substitute.
  • Wish Anthony Fera were playing as he is one of the best in the country at the kicking position.
  • Texas will not have a kicker/punter that has ever played in a game at The University of Texas when Saturday arrives.
  • 2010 was my fault. We acted like we were something that we weren’t. last year we fought back and made a lot of progress.
  • This is a fun time for me and a fun time for Texas and we are going to be good again. I kdon’t know how soon but we will be. It will be nice to pay our fans back.
  • Got a text from Justin Tucker yesterday with the news about him earning the starting kicking job in Baltimore. We are proud of him and we are proud of all our guys and hope they all continue to make it through these cuts (NFL).

198542-500356-mack-brown.jpg

My thoughts on this:

We still have no quarterback.

Texas will be back in a few years (how many is up in question) when we have a decent quarterback.

The kicking game could suck bad until Fera comes back (Lord help us if we need a game winning field goal against Wyoming or New Mexico).

WildHorn is a project in the making.

-----------------------------STILL A LOT TO DO FOR THE LONGHORNS IF THEY WANT TO BE A GREAT TEAM-----------------------------------------

• Administrators
I know its been a long hiatus... but its good to be back!!!!!!!!!!!! Pumped up for what is definitely shaping up to be a phenomenal season. HOOK 'EM

Welcome back buddy. It has been a while but glad to hear you are still among the land of the living! It's football season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buford2.jpg

The point about Ash playing confidently is intriguing to say the least. His raw ability needs to really shine through this season. He may not posses the passing ability to rack up yards, but his speed cannot be taught and has potential to be game-changing

• Administrators

He threw a nice rainbow bomb to Goodwin last week a la Holiday Bowl but he is definitely the starter because of his scrambling ability. He needs to make more good plays than mistakes for the entire season. We have the juice in the backfield and a badass defense.

Not to beat a dead horse but Greg McElroy vs. the Horns in the BCS Championship Game:

6/8 for 58 yards and 0 Int's.

Makes you think, eh?

• Administrators
Just win and if they have to pull a Bama and win with defense and a running game..so be it..

They might have to do that in 3 or 4 games this season. I still think we have a shot at winning in Dallas against OU but the West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Kansas State games are scary. We may need to limit the passing game and hose them with a steady diet of running back, hogging the ball and the clock.

They might have to do that in 3 or 4 games this season. I still think we have a shot at winning in Dallas against OU but the West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Kansas State games are scary. We may need to limit the passing game and hose them with a steady diet of running back, hogging the ball and the clock.

Okie State will have issues with their QB...WV fails in big games...and..Kansas St had their one round of luck last season..This year will be different...OU is always a tough game because it's after this game that they seem to tank every year...Bob gets em up for Texas and then retires for the rest of the year....

I fear the TCU game more than any other...other than OU that is..

• Administrators
My thoughts on this:

We still have no quarterback.

Texas will be back in a few years (how many is up in question) when we have a decent quarterback.

The kicking game could suck bad until Fera comes back (Lord help us if we need a game winning field goal against Wyoming or New Mexico).

WildHorn is a project in the making.

-----------------------------STILL A LOT TO DO FOR THE LONGHORNS IF THEY WANT TO BE A GREAT TEAM-----------------------------------------

Fera's absence is both good an bad. Good for guys like Nick Jordan who will be able to acclimate himself to the college football environment in relatively low pressure situations (against Wyoming and New Mexico). Bad news is that Fera will not be playing. Fera is the 2 year solution at kicker/punter and hopefully his injury is not substantial. The coaches have not released a timeline for his return but he has been punting in practice which is good news. He probably comes back for the Ole Miss game and justr in time for the tough stretch against Ok. State, WVU and OU.