Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Case McCoy is one of the best leaders on the team". Depth Chart, Mack Brown presser

Wes

Today the depth chart for the horns came out and Mack had many different notes on each position and who's going to play. One thing that struck me was his comments on the QB position.

The depth chart has David Ash as the starer, Case McCoy as 2nd string, Follwed by Connor Brewer and Jalen Overstreet in that order.

But when asked about the starter, Mack did mention both David and Case will play. He didn't know exactly how or what role Case would have since David is the starter. But when asked about leadership on the team Mack went on to single out Case by saying he "is one of the best leaders on the team". So what does that mean?

Mack also said he hopes to red-shirt both Connor Brewer and Jalen Overstreet. Which is what I originally thought should happen. But wait just a second... Both David and Case will be playing in each game and Mack still hopes to red-shirt both the young QB's?

Here are my questions... and my initial thoughts.

-Why is McCoy still in the mix for playing time during a game?

-When McCoy steps onto the field what does he bring to the game that Ash isn't bringing?

-Why doesn't Mack know what role McCoy will have for the games? (Mack literally said he needs to sit down with Harsin and Applewhite to clarify McCoy's role during the games. Yet Mack knows McCoy still needs snaps?)

-If Mack wants to red-shirt both Connor and Jalen, then why would he put both his starter and back-up QB in a game where both could get hurt?

Here are my initial thoughts for all those questions:

McCoy has a special gift that isn't necessarily teachable and something you can't shy away from, especially with this team. He has leadership. He has that presence and mind-set his brother, Colt, had. But his brother also had a better arm and was more gifted physically. If Ash had Case's leadership abilities then Ash would easily be the starter, no questions asked. That also tells me Ash hasn't become the leader for the team that he needs to be. Which is why McCoy is still in the mix. Ash has the athletic ability but isn't the leader he needs to be. McCoy has the leadership & presence but can't make as many throws as Ash. To me, Ash seems like a shy guy who will open up when he feels comfortable in a situation. For him to feel comfortable with his team he will need to play well and earn some respect from how he performs during games. I think if Ash can perform well, then we will see a more open and confident David Ash who will then take more of a leadership role. It is disappointing that it seems as if he hasn't taken more leadership, because not only is leadership critical for the QB position but this team also had leadership issues the past couple of years and having the starting QB be the unquestioned leader on offense would really help the offense and the team. Mack realizes Case is one of the best leaders on the team and is going to show Case and the team respect by still giving him snaps. But Mack also knows that if he truly wants to get back to national prominence, Case simply can't make all the big time throws that Ash should be capable of.

As for the rest of Mack's comments about the depth chart...

Mack mentioned that tight end and offensive line depth were the two weakness that still needed to be fixed. D.J. Grant could have a decent year, but I think Mack sees MJ McFarland as the better receiving weapon. Problem is MJ hasn't shown the ability to effectively block, which contributes to the weakness at the position. Currently, McFarland isn't even listed on the depth chart. But in a passing situation McFarland could enter the game. I would also not be surpised to see Miles Onyegbule on the field as a tight end split off the line only in receiving situations. He too needs to improve his blocking before he is an every down option.

The starters on the offensive line are solid but the depth behind the O-line is where the concern emerges. Mack singled out Thomas Ashcraft as the first guy in to sub for the starters but needs to see more from the other guys to feel confident in them.

Overall I felt good about the rest of the positions Mack Brown talked about. Defensive line and the defensive backs will be a strength. If the inexperienced linebackers can play well during the games like they have in practice then they too will be a strength, which will form one of the top defenses in the country.

There are playmakers all over the special teams and the longhorns could very well go back to having one of the best special teams units in the country again, like that had a few years ago.

The running backs are all talented and as many as four (Bergeron, Brown, Gray, Hills) could see the field for multiple snaps a game. That's crazy depth.

*Daje Johnson will be suspended the first game for violating team rules "and that won't change".

Both the starters, Jaxon Shipley and Mike Davis, are dealing with some minor injuries but should be good to go by the opener. Other than Marquis, depth behind the receivers will still be an area to monitor but is not seen as a huge weakness by Mack. (of course not, the horns will barely throw the ball until they figure out what they have at QB...)

I expect the floor to be 8 wins and the ceiling to be 11 wins. Anything worse will be a disappointment and anything better will be incredible. The depth chart can be found here: MackBrown-TexasFootball.com - Official website of the Texas Longhorns - Texas Football

Jump into the conversation and let us know what you think.

Twitter: @WesKCrochet

Email: Wes.Sports@hotmail.com

Edited by Wes

• Administrators

I found it interesting that Mack talked a lot about credibility in terms of reporting information to the media based on what they know at the time. He also made a point to tell media members that if something does not come to fruition based on what he told them at a specific time, it does not mean he lied to them. It means things changed, as they have a tendency to do. He gives the information he has at the period, particularly related to injuries.

The quarterback discussion today was progress for Mack as I interpreted it. He did say David Ash was the starter but Case McCoy was a tremendous leader, like Wes alluded to above, but that David "has just a little edge" in those words. I take that as he has superior physical tools that give him a greater ability to make throws and escape pressure situations. Also from Mack - "Case is one of the best leaders in our clubhouse." Mack mentioned David would start and that McCoy would probably play but if he didn't the media would think he had lied so he shouldn't be telling them anything. I thought that was clever for the old coach.

A new nugget of information is Daje Johnson is not on the depth chart because he has been suspended for the first game of the season for violating team rules. This is very surprising because we have heard nothing about it. Must have been something he did recently. TCU fans must be licking their chops..... Johnson was tearing it up in camp and will be pushing the envelope to start in games this season.

Case must have the heart of a lion. I wish he had the tools to be a better quarterback but there is a positive to his clubhouse leadership. You do not see those things on the field necessarily but the team knows it. I'm not big on a 2 qb rotation but if Ash gets hurt at least McCoy has playing experience. NOW LET'S GO GET WYOMING!

• Administrators

Well, get ready because Case is going to play. Maybe not much but he will. I give the kid credit for handling it well. It is not his fault and you have to feel for the guy. Brother was a star qb at Texas, stuck between a rock and a hard place, etc. Good kid but not cut to be the starter.

McCoy should never see the field unless Ash gets injured or the game is out of hand; other than that, he has no business of the field. He is not a D1 QB, period.

I don't see the difference. This team can't beat the big boys with either of these QB's. They look like guys who should be on scout teams. Rudy of Notre Dame had more talent.

• Administrators
I don't see the difference. This team can't beat the big boys with either of these QB's. They look like guys who should be on scout teams. Rudy of Notre Dame had more talent.

The question is not if David Ash is better than Case McCoy but rather HOW MUCH better. We have yet to see.

I don't see the difference. This team can't beat the big boys with either of these QB's.

I love college football and I look forward to every new season but it is a hollow feeling this season for the very reason you point out. Both Ash & McCoy suck. They really do. A lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking that Ash will go through some magical transformation because he is getting more snaps with the first string and he is getting more of Harsin's attention. He will be slightly better but he will still be the worst starting QB in the Big 12. It will be obvious.

I wouldn't be as bummed out if we had a shit team across the board and it was a transitional year for us. But we have a great team. Our D will be elite, our O-line will be serviceable (as will our WRs) and our RBs are incredible. And it will be wasted......because, somehow, the University of Texas will not have even a decent QB taking meaningful snaps for THE THIRD ****ING YEAR IN A ROW. This is inexcusable. This is almost impossible. This is our reality.

I love college football and I look forward to every new season but it is a hollow feeling this season for the very reason you point out. Both Ash & McCoy suck. They really do. A lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking that Ash will go through some magical transformation because he is getting more snaps with the first string and he is getting more of Harsin's attention. He will be slightly better but he will still be the worst starting QB in the Big 12. It will be obvious.

I wouldn't be as bummed out if we had a shit team across the board and it was a transitional year for us. But we have a great team. Our D will be elite, our O-line will be serviceable (as will our WRs) and our RBs are incredible. And it will be wasted......because, somehow, the University of Texas will not have even a decent QB taking meaningful snaps for THE THIRD ****ING YEAR IN A ROW. This is inexcusable. This is almost impossible. This is our reality.

There is a disconnect in recruiting at this position. I now wonder why the team recruited Overstreet. He seems the perfect Wild Horn candidate but Mack talks of the running backs being the option. Then there is Brewer and he is third on the depth chart. Next season we get Swoopes and already there is talk of him being red shirted.

Meanwhile Baylor and Okie State seem just fine with finding and starting young athletic QB's. I also agree with your thought about the hollow feeling. Every time I read a piece I think how great that would be without these two worthless guys at quarterback.

Our defense better be Alabama like or there is no way this team beats any quality team. I like you also believe we will look back in a few years and realize how Mack and his coaches failed at recruiting the one thing they have to win at and that is a guy who can play QB here and at the next level.

I wrote a piece about ESPN having our two guys as the 10th rated QB's in a 10 man field. Not a peep from anyone. Some had rather rave about the OLine or a kicker but ignore what you and I seem to get. Oh, well there is always next year and the next and the next.

Edited by beevomav