Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David Ash named the starter against Wyoming

cheeseman

• Administrators

We all knew it was coming and like Harsin said yesterday when asked if both guys would play: "Yes. I think so. I mean obviously one guy is going to roll out there at the beginning. You have to do that. But if they can continue to keep progressing the way they have been, through these next few practices before we play, then you can expect both guys out there. And hopefully that’s a situation that we’re in as well. Hopefully both of those guys get a chance to operate the offense, and play in the game situation. One guy is one play away every time. We want to be able to have a guy go in there, and we don’t have to change what we’re doing. They can both operate and be successful."

You can read the whole presser from yesterday here - MackBrown-TexasFootball.com - Official website of the Texas Longhorns - Texas Football

• Administrators

Let's give David the benefit of the doubt until he screws the pooch. We knew he had outperformed McCoy and he had to put up with this co-qb crap until today. Let's support the dude and put our burnt orange gear on and go out and kick some ass. Hookem.com got this from a source and Mack has yet to come out and publicly anoint Ash. I'm sure it will happen but......

Hookem.com said a source has told them he will be named the starter. I am not buying it 100%. Horns Nation (ESPN) writer William Wilkerson tweeted that there was a confirmation from a source that Ash had been named the starter. The tweet has been deleted. Hookem is the only source reporting this and while they are credible I feel this is a much larger issue that Coach Brown wants to maintain a handle on his way. My guess is this source should have kept his mouth shut and let it unfold when the depth chart is released.

• Administrators
Hookem.com said a source has told them he will be named the starter. I am not buying it 100%. Horns Nation (ESPN) writer William Wilkerson tweeted that there was a confirmation from a source that Ash had been named the starter. The tweet has been deleted. Hookem is the only source reporting this and while they are credible I feel this is a much larger issue that Coach Brown wants to maintain a handle on his way. My guess is this source should have kept his mouth shut and let it unfold when the depth chart is released.

Totally noticed it too. Hookem.com has their source but is it really a big surprise? We all knew Ash would be the starter (should be the starter).

• Administrators

Less than a day after Texas Co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin answered questions from the media regarding the status of his quarterbacks, maintaining both David Ash and Case McCoy would more than likely both play in the season opener against Wyoming on September 1st, Hookem.com is reporting that Ash has been named the starting quarterback for the Longhorns. If the report is true, sophmore David Ash seems to have won a long, arduous and very much talked-about battle for the position against fellow teammate and quarterback Case McCoy. Mack Brown has consistently talked about the need for the coaching staff to see separation occur between the two and perhaps that separation happened today in the Longhorns’ practice… Only Major Applewhite made no mention of it in his remarks to the media after Tuesday’s practice.

Even with Ash being named the starter there is no indication that Case McCoy will see less playing time than Ash or that he will be used only in certain offensive packages. In his interview with Dari Nowkhah and Mel Kiper Jr. on ESPN Radio last Saturday morning, Mack made reference to how the quarterback battle has made both players stronger on the field and with their teammates. Both players had similar statistics last year and both won what could be considered big games for the Longhorns in 2011. McCoy with the heroic comeback 27-25 win that was capped with the Justin Tucker 40 yard field goal against Texas A&M, and Ash with the solo quarterback performance in the Holiday Bowl win in which he threw and caught touchdown passes in a 21-10 victory over the Golden Bears. It was Ash’s performance in the bowl game that made him the logical choice to continue in his role as the starter into the 2012 football season.

The designation of a starting quarterback for the Longhorns would be a big step in the right direction for this team. A “David Ash — OR — Case McCoy” on the depth chart just means more uncertainty for the offense, the team and each respective players’ confidence. While it will be no surprise to see David Ash’s name listed on the depth chart as the #1 quarterback, equally it will not be a huge surprise to see Case McCoy playing more than mop-up time in the first handful of games. Ash must hit his stride early and find a suitable comfort level before the Longhorns start a rough 3-game stretch against Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Oklahoma, all of which are top 20 ranked teams. Regardless of which player is under center at a particular time, the key to the success of the offense is to play smart and limit mistakes. Even with average quarterback play this team has the potential to do great things this year. Texas fans know this and expect it.