Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breckyn Hager: Texas Defense "Wants to Injure" Texas Tech Quarterback

Harrison Wier

During  Monday's press conference, Texas FOX/LB Breckyn Hager was asked what his goals were for the Texas Tech game, and how all of the high-scoring games throughout the Big 12 made hm feel. "It makes me feel like I have to go injure the quarterback," Hager said in his media availability on Monday. That's not the only time he uttered those words, either. Media members were obviously stunned by these comments, and were quick to react following Monday's presser.

Even former Texas LB Drew Kelson had some things to say about Hager's comments:

Hager has been lifted up for his high energy, no nonsense attitude in the past. However, aiming to injure an opposing quarterback is something that can never be justified no matter the circumstance. It will be interesting to see what happens later today as Charlie Strong is able to see what Hager said. An apology is almost 100% guaranteed, but what other disciplines will Hager face? Will he be benched? Suspended, even? We will surely find out soon. What are your thoughts on the situation?

Just not a smart thing to say and really can't be spun in a positive manner.

I like Hager's energy and effort he brings on the field, but you just can't say stuff like this. Could have emphasized that you wanted to get to the quarterback as much as possible without going that far.

Just not a smart thing to say and really can't be spun in a positive manner.

I like Hager's energy and effort he brings on the field, but you just can't say stuff like this. Could have emphasized that you wanted to get to the quarterback as much as possible without going that far.

I agree. Love his mentality, but also thought it was only a matter of time before he said something that wasn't too intellectual. Curious to see what Strong says. 

I know times have changed since Dick Butkus played at Illinois but the press would have a field day over some of his statements.  I think we (the public) put more meaning on such statements than what the actual football players do. 

Yes. I'm sure he did not mean it literally in that context, but you still cannot say it. That's just the nature of the beast these days. You can't do those things, and Hager knows that. 

Unfortunately, anything Hager says now won't be seen. The headline of "Texas wants to injure Mahomes" has already been written, even though I believe he didn't mean it literally. Tech has probably already printed this out as bulletin board material, and nothing he can say will change that.

The worst part is that if somehow Mahomes does end up getting injured (intentional or not), it is going to look terrible. Someone really needs to sit him down and tell him to cool it.

Harrison, in fairness, I don't believe Breckyn said quite what was quoted. He was asked another question about the 700+ yards put up by Oklahoma and Tech, and asked what he thought. He made an offhand remark about it and shrugged.

I honestly think it's a shame these students have to sit around for a PC when they already have enough demands on their time. I listened to the entire thing. Honestly, if the reporters cannot come up with better questions, they should let the guys go home. They asked most of the guys the same questions, including one about their favorite Halloween costume. The reporters may want the players to stay, but the players probably have better things to do with their time.

Breckyn made a poorly chosen remark, but from now on he probably won't speak to the press or will give canned answers.

Whole thing is stupid.  We are becoming so whimpified! 

I think it is pretty clear that he is not saying he wants to seriously injure the Tech QB.... Hit him hard / get in his head / make him feel it... that is what he  meant. 

He will be crucified for saying "we need to injure the QB" and then those whining about his choice of words will sit around and high five hits where the player's cleats are lifted off the ground and he is slammed down onto the turf!  It is a violent game.... Hager is successful at it because he plays hard and is a violent hitter....he is a relentless competitor in a violent game.  Heck... he is probably repeating what he has heard his coaches say in team meetings.... "QB is dinged up... we need to get after him and let him know he is going to get hit..." (cleaned up) 

He probably should have known better than to say what is said in every locker room before a game and every film session across America... in front of a Mic.... and yes, he probably worded it slightly wrong. 

But for the record... as far as I know, he has never hit a girl, raped anyone, robbed a store, failed a drug test.... he said something in a football context that is unacceptable in a classroom.  I'm over it....you? 

Whole thing is stupid.  We are becoming so whimpified! 

I think it is pretty clear that he is not saying he wants to seriously injure the Tech QB.... Hit him hard / get in his head / make him feel it... that is what he  meant. 

He will be crucified for saying "we need to injure the QB" and then those whining about his choice of words will sit around and high five hits where the player's cleats are lifted off the ground and he is slammed down onto the turf!  It is a violent game.... Hager is successful at it because he plays hard and is a violent hitter....he is a relentless competitor in a violent game.  Heck... he is probably repeating what he has heard his coaches say in team meetings.... "QB is dinged up... we need to get after him and let him know he is going to get hit..." (cleaned up) 

You nailed it!!!  I'll take an LB who gives 100% and wants to hit and hit hard any day of the week and twice on Sunday!  Everyone in the room knew that he wasn't talking about actually injuring another player but the @$%&@#%!! media has to sensationalize the comment to get readers. 

You must be from Midland

You, sir, are correct. Not now but born and bred. In fact, upon returning to the Permian Basin later in life I have realized that the people in Midland and Odessa are the same. I wouldn't have admitted to that 30 years ago but hindsight is 20/20. And for the record, I like Odessa. With that in mind, read my smart ass remark again and you will understand that it was actually not a Social Justice Warrior's cry for Breckyn to be nice. It was a pining for the good old days when we could say what we were all thinking.

Sports radio guys saying Mahomes may have been injured at the end of his last game. Possibly throwing shoulder, and he would start and see how it goes. Anyone have any intel on this?

On the last play Mahomes participated in prior to their winning overtime kick, he was jockeying for the perfect position for his kicker and was slammed to the turf on his shoulder. He ran off the field as if he either had a stinger or a pretty serious shoulder injury. Which I do not know but he was hurt for sure.