Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Hey, man! This Shane Buechele kid is somethin' special! And I tell ya what, man - this talent on this Texas team?! Hook 'Em Horns, man!" 

I don't know why, but anyone and everyone who doesn't follow this program thinks this is a realistic replacement candidate.

Reasons: 

A.) Gruden still wants to coach, but on his terms. Meaning, it has to basically be a hand picked situation, not just any job. 

-Ok. I believe that theory. Most successful coaches at his age, with his resume, etc. Have that luxury. It's not a crazy concept. 

B.) Gruden has wanted to coach college ball, burnt out on the NFL. Runs his camp for young players -- namely QBs -- and enjoys developing guys. Tired of the NFL regiment, personable and feels like he could really recruit young kids, go into living rooms. Almost sort of has a Dabo/Jimbo feel to him. 

-Ok. Yeah, I suppose. 

C.) ESPN doesn't have the money it did when it signed him onto Monday Night Football, plus Torico is gone. 

-Ok. Not sure that really matters, unless the competing potential job is head coach at Texas, where he would probably make 3-to-5 times what he brings in now. However, such is the standard when he will work with 20-to-30 times the pressure and stress. So, I don't know if standing in a booth for four hours every Monday night after a week of hanging around teams really seems like something he would want to leave for everything the Texas job is. Which, while I don't agree about it being a cesspool, or any other hard reference Herbstreit gave it, I do believe there is a lot more BS that coaches have to deal with here. But it's not unwarranted. You don't want BS, it's simple: win. So, I don't know if ESPN NOT being able to pay him as much as what he makes right now when it's time for a new contract is reason enough to completely pivot and go the complete opposite direction and coach college football at Texas, where the look on his face the day he's introduced would be broken down and analyzed to predict how many wins he will have in his first season. 

D.) These folks who say this name think it's Texas, Alabama or USC that will pull Gruden to the college ranks. 

-Yeah. Water is also wet. Duh. 

E.) And when the name has been brought up on any platform, such as radio spots, both national or local, there's a genuine belief he wants to get back to coaching, period, that it may just be a void he wants to fill, so perhaps he isn't THAT picky about where he lands if he leaves ESPN. 

-Nah. No way. Not at this point in his life. And that's where I'm at. As obvious as the statement "well, it would have to be USC, or Alabama, or Texas" is, I just don't see this guy diving back into everything that coaching is, in what is quite honestly the more demanding of level of coaching: college football. 

So, I open this thread with these talking points I have heard, or engaged in, and I ask you all: Does the name Jon Gruden make your ears perk up? Or do you find yourself walking to the liquor cabinet in sadness, preparing to pour a strong scotch as you watch the program take 10 steps backwards? 

#HookEm

what in the name of hell gives anyone the idea that Gruden could coach college ball?...What in hell did he ever do as a coach that gives him any credibility? The only reason Red wanted him was that Red knew gruden would kiss his ass.

Please...not Gruden...not now...not ever.....Those that can do....those that cant become commentators. If we are going after talking heads go after Jimmy Johnson....at least we know he can coach.

what in the name of hell gives anyone the idea that Gruden could coach college ball?...What in hell did he ever do as a coach that gives him any credibility? The only reason Red wanted him was that Red knew gruden would kiss his ass.

Please...not Gruden...not now...not ever.....Those that can do....those that cant become commentators. If we are going after talking heads go after Jimmy Johnson....at least we know he can coach.

He won something called a superbowl.. you might have heard of it.

These kids want to go pro, he can say that he knows how to get them there because he has a ring that very few people in this world have as a head coach.

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl and nobody ever thought he deserved any credit for it. How long ago did Gruden win that Super Bowl?

And before you start in...I am not placing Gruden in the same category as Switzer. Barry went to the pros which is a passing league. The only thing Barry knew at the time about the passing game was that his teams at OU couldnt do it.

You put a great deal of effort and thought into your post. . .thanks.

Having said that, doesn't crack my Top 25. .  .there is a reason he has not been seriously considered for other major spots.

We don't need to over think this.   Herman wants to be here, we want Herman.

$3.5-$4 million a year with some nice incentives ($1/2 million to win conference, $1/2 million to make playoffs, $1/2 million for 9 wins+bowl win etc)

You put a great deal of effort and thought into your post. . .thanks.

Having said that, doesn't crack my Top 25. .  .there is a reason he has not been seriously considered for other major spots.

We don't need to over think this.   Herman wants to be here, we want Herman.

$3.5-$4 million a year with some nice incentives ($1/2 million to win conference, $1/2 million to make playoffs, $1/2 million for 9 wins+bowl win etc)

...and Herman gets less expensive with every UH loss!   :P

He was very good in his day, but he has been in a much lower stress job for many years.  Does he really have what it takes to put that kind of energy and sacrifice into a new HC job now?  Even if he would accept the job, I don't think he would be up to the effort it takes to win at a high level.  He would probably be great as a in-house consultant.

Bull shit it doesnt mean something, there are only 30 men that have won it at the highest level as a head coach. Idgaf how old i was when it happened, someone tells me that they are part of that club then im going to give them a hard look and say get me to the league.

He still is idolized because of his qb chalk talk that he does with upcoming draft picks, so relevance is still there.

The fact that he is a commentator and one that is able to break down film tells me that he is still keeping up with what is new. He isnt old in coaching terms so he has the energy to last awhile.

Back to my point, you show me a superbowl ring as a head coach and i am listening. I am one of the younger guys on this website, i have a better understanding of what appeals to those that are not AARP members.

Pass. He hasn't coached a down of football in eight years. He hasn't coached College Football since the early nineties.

He won a Super Bowl. Good for him, great accomplishment. That doesn't mean he's capable of walking on the field and coaching one of the most prolific universities in the country when the game has changed drastically in those eight years.