Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Herman to LSU

Sirhornsalot

I would be looking for a new agent if he jumps at the first team calling. With all these big time jobs that could come open in the next few months... that is what we call leverage and leverage = payday! He might have a agreement with Lsu but until that ink on the dotted line dries it means nothing.

I am starting to think after this weekend that the Oregon Ducks might also be looking for a new Coach ,  Arkansas fans are getting frustrated with Bielema, small rumblings are being felt at Notre Dame, USC , anyone else we want to add to the list? 

I'm actually all for keeping Strong.  I want him to succeed here.  While it looks really bleak, I want to see a turn around and him to stay.  With that being said, isn't he from Arkansas???  I actually had a piggy fan suggest to me that he go coach their defense...

I'm actually all for keeping Strong.  I want him to succeed here.  While it looks really bleak, I want to see a turn around and him to stay.  With that being said, isn't he from Arkansas???  I actually had a piggy fan suggest to me that he go coach their defense...

Just curious, what would it need to look like for how long before you would be ready to let Strong go? 

I don't or didn't think sexton was toms agent.  Maybe I'm wrong.  LSU isn't gentlemen's agreed upon just yet, however he is far from a guarantee to Texas that most want to think.  

I believe Charlie gets to 8 wins and he is the best for sure thing we have or can get.

For the record, I hope we win every game on our schedule. It's just what I always hope for. That will not change. Let's play, play to win, and let the cookie crumble as it may.

Same. Nothing would make me happier than to see this team show drastic improvement and win out. I'm still a Charlie fan. Just...tired.

Yurachek said he and Herman's agent, Trace Armstrong, communicated regularly throughout November as the contract negotiation process ..

Herman's agent is Trace Armstrong who also represents Urban Meyer, Kevin Sumlin, James Franklin and a whole slew of college and

Houston Cougars head coach Tom Herman shown with the ACC West ... with Herman's agent, Trace Armstrong of Creative Artists Agency.

So it would appear Trace Armstrong is his agent, which would make sense why Sexton would steer us to others.

Just curious, what would it need to look like for how long before you would be ready to let Strong go? 

Considering the complete tear down and rebuild he's undertaking, I'm all for giving him 4 years. By then he's working with his recruits and his staff should be nailed down. He's changed the culture and he's brought in some savages. I think we should let him finish what he's started. By the end of the 2017 season if the foundation he's laid isn't producing on field results, then get him out of here

Considering the complete tear down and rebuild he's undertaking, I'm all for giving him 4 years. By then he's working with his recruits and his staff should be nailed down. He's changed the culture and he's brought in some savages. I think we should let him finish what he's started. By the end of the 2017 season if the foundation he's laid isn't producing on field results, then get him out of here

The only problem with your reasonable plan is that he might succeed in year 4. One might get the impression that some people never wanted Charlie in the first place. But who am I kidding? Everybody loves Charlie.

Just a couple of things to ponder over.

Was a "complete" tear down absolutely necessary?

Yes, he's changed the culture, but...has he or is he building new culture?

I don't think these 2 questions have the obvious answers that everyone thinks they do. 

A couple of questions.

Do you think that he should get 4 years regardless of his record this year?

Based on what we've seen so far, what makes you think that his staff will be nailed down in year 4?

i've always stated that charlie needs to get his players in the leadership positions.  some of his players will be upperclassmen next year.  this next recruiting cycle will be his 3rd full recruiting cycle.  i'm good with keeping him another year.

the fear is that buechele gets hurt and our offense takes a big hit.  i don't think we succeed with swoopes in there full time.

Just a couple of things to ponder over.

Was a "complete" tear down absolutely necessary?

Yes, he's changed the culture, but...has he or is he building new culture?

I don't think these 2 questions have the obvious answers that everyone thinks they do. 

My personal opinion? Yes, a complete tear down was necessary. We were all sick of the entitlement and soft label associated with this program.

Yes, he's building a new culture. But like anything else it takes time to for what's being built to be realized. I don't think we can claim to be reasonable and expect the type of rebuild that's been started to be finished in 2 1/2 years.

And I agree, the answers I've given are just my simplistic  and "obvious" view of the situation and the answers probably are much deeper

A couple of questions.

Do you think that he should get 4 years regardless of his record this year?

Based on what we've seen so far, what makes you think that his staff will be nailed down in year 4?

Yes, I honestly believe that he should get 4 years regardless.  In my opinion, that goes for any and every new head coach in college football.  Mainly because a new hc should be allowed to work with his own recruits.

Based on what I've seen, no. But, he does seem to learn from his "mistakes" and he will fix them; although begrudgingly it appears. Meaning, not being associated with the Big 12, he had no reason to believe, based on his success everywhere else, most importantly UL, that his offense ran by Watson wouldn't work here.  After realizing it wouldn't, he changed it. I think what he's realizing now is that the defense the way Bedford runs it, just isn't going to work. I fully expect it'll get better as the season progresses (face it, the guy has won a NC calling defense) and he'll address that side of the ball this offseason if given the chance.  By next year, I really believe everything will truly come together.  At least that's my hope...

Yes, I honestly believe that he should get 4 years regardless. In my opinion, that goes for any and every new head coach in college football. Mainly because a new hc should be allowed to work with his own recruits.

Based on what I've seen, no. But, he does seem to learn from his "mistakes" and he will fix them; although begrudgingly it appears. Meaning, not being associated with the Big 12, he had no reason to believe, based on his success everywhere else, most importantly UL, that his offense ran by Watson wouldn't work here. After realizing it wouldn't, he changed it. I think what he's realizing now is that the defense the way Bedford runs it, just isn't going to work. I fully expect it'll get better as the season progresses (face it, the guy has won a NC calling defense) and he'll address that side of the ball this offseason if given the chance. By next year, I really believe everything will truly come together. At least that's my hope...

I disagree. He did not fix it. He brought back Watson for a second year and was forced to change after the first game of that year. That's entirely on him.

Coaches who have a achieved long-term success have turn things around much faster than he. In fact there is no evidence that he has turned anything around in terms of results on the field. You could make a better argument we have gone backwards.

It should go without saying that I hope we never lose another game and my current opinion is proved to be bullshit. That would not be the first

time. But I have totally lost confidence in Charlie Strong's ability to produce a national championship quality contender.

And PS. It was very obvious after last year that Bedford's defense was not working. So he makes the same mistake twice. And don't get me started about special teams.

I disagree. He did not fix it. He brought back Watson for a second year and was forced to change after the first game of that year. That's entirely on him.

Coaches who have a achieved long-term success have turn things around much faster than he. In fact there is no evidence that he has turned anything around in terms of results on the field. You could make a better argument we have gone backwards.

It should go without saying that I hope we never lose another game and my current opinion is proved to be bullshit. That would not be the first

time. But I have totally lost confidence in Charlie Strong's ability to produce a national championship quality contender.

And PS. It was very obvious after last year that Bedford's defense was not working. So he makes the same mistake twice. And don't get me started about special teams.

He did actually "fix" it.  Just not in the way or manner in which we thought he should.  End result tho is that we have a totally new offense unlike anything he's ever been associated with. Was he actually "forced" to do it? Probably, just as he's "forced" to make the change with Bedford.  But ultimately, the offensive "problem" was handled and I expect the same to happen with the defense.

I can honestly say that I'm not broken up with how these changes came or are coming about.  And can definitely appreciate his loyalty to the ones he brought with him.  I can understand holding on to what's always worked for him.  But I do believe that he's doing the best he can and he's proven that he can be successful.  In the long run, and by long run I mean the rest of this season and all of next, I think a lot of what we're upset about will be a distant memory.

I get it.  The high of beating Notre Dame in an instant classic to the low of losing to Cal & Okie Lite has us all like W-T-F!!! And as hc the blame is placed on his shoulders.  But I'm willing to give it more time because I'm not exactly sure anyone of us truly have an idea of what this guy walked into and how he's truly going about righting the ship. And at the end of the 2017 season if we're sitting at 6-6, 7-5, hell 8-4, ya know, mediocre, then I'm all for getting someone to come in and finish the job.  And whoever that may be, I'll be all for giving him 4 years to have this program headed back to prominence...

He did actually "fix" it. Just not in the way or manner in which we thought he should. End result tho is that we have a totally new offense unlike anything he's ever been associated with. Was he actually "forced" to do it? Probably, just as he's "forced" to make the change with Bedford. But ultimately, the offensive "problem" was handled and I expect the same to happen with the defense.

I can honestly say that I'm not broken up with how these changes came or are coming about. And can definitely appreciate his loyalty to the ones he brought with him. I can understand holding on to what's always worked for him. But I do believe that he's doing the best he can and he's proven that he can be successful. In the long run, and by long run I mean the rest of this season and all of next, I think a lot of what we're upset about will be a distant memory.

I get it. The high of beating Notre Dame in an instant classic to the low of losing to Cal & Okie Lite has us all like W-T-F!!! And as hc the blame is placed on his shoulders. But I'm willing to give it more time because I'm not exactly sure anyone of us truly have an idea of what this guy walked into and how he's truly going about righting the ship. And at the end of the 2017 season if we're sitting at 6-6, 7-5, hell 8-4, ya know, mediocre, then I'm all for getting someone to come in and finish the job. And whoever that may be, I'll be all for giving him 4 years to have this program headed back to prominence...

That is a logical opinion if you believe Charlie Strong sooner or later will get it done. Obviously you do.

I don't. We shall see.

Without the best players, Texas cannot win the national championship.

The last 3 years of Mack's tenure was due, in the most part, to deteriorating talent as a result of Texas' failure to recruit and sign the best players in the state. The reason for the 'soft' label was due to the disconnect between the level of recruits everybody wanted to believe Texas was signing and their actual talent level.

Enter Charlie Strong.

The recruiting is going in the right direction. (Remember ERRRBODY?)

So the weakness with Charlie was scheme and fundamentals.

Exit Watson. Enter Gilbert.

Would you say the Texas offense now lacks firepower, scheme or fundamentals?

Exit Bedford. Enter ?

With the proper scheme and coordinator on defense I have to assume 2017 will be far superior to 2016.

The tricky thing is the DC is going to want a lot of money and control since Charlie could be gone after 2017.

So, if you like UH's DC, you have probably upgraded from the current. Also, if you end up hiring Herman, his defense is already in place.