Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Landscapes – Avoid the monumental "Oops!"

Sirhornsalot

Hey Mark, I am still dealing with a dollar weed issue you educated me on six months ago. Eventually it did die off mostly after treatment. It left a good crop circle...which has now been filled with dollar weed again. Any advice? Also, I haven't fertilized recently, is it ok to lay down some fertilizer/weed killer now or have I missed a good window for St Augustine? Lastly, due to winter coming, is it worth treating my yard completely for fire ants or should I just spot treat the mounds that have appeared in the last few weeks?

Hey Mark, I am still dealing with a dollar weed issue you educated me on six months ago. Eventually it did die off mostly after treatment. It left a good crop circle...which has now been filled with dollar weed again. Any advice? Also, I haven't fertilized recently, is it ok to lay down some fertilizer/weed killer now or have I missed a good window for St Augustine? Lastly, due to winter coming, is it worth treating my yard completely for fire ants or should I just spot treat the mounds that have appeared in the last few weeks?

Being that temperatures have cooled so much, you'll likely not have any grow back in those spots. Clear the dollar weed and insert pieces of sod, cut to fit, into those spots.

Do not fertlize. It will cause fungus.

I would spot treat the fire ants. They won't be around much longer. Do a lawn-wide application in mid-spring.

Being that temperatures have cooled so much, you'll likely not have any grow back in those spots. Clear the dollar weed and insert pieces of sod, cut to fit, into those spots.

Do not fertlize. It will cause fungus.

I would spot treat the fire ants. They won't be around much longer. Do a lawn-wide application in mid-spring.

Thanks Mark, I will get on those issues once we thrash the cyclones. I usually get my bulk sod from the Grass Patch in Leander where I live. However, they usually don't sell small quantities. Any recommendations on where to purchase small sod quantities in my area? Will only need about 20 sq feet of St. Augustine. Hope your gall bladder is better and can handle the game tonight!

Thanks Mark, I will get on those issues once we thrash the cyclones. I usually get my bulk sod from the Grass Patch in Leander where I live. However, they usually don't sell small quantities. Any recommendations on where to purchase small sod quantities in my area? Will only need about 20 sq feet of St. Augustine. Hope your gall bladder is better and can handle the game tonight!

I've never had a problem buying small quantities around Austin. King Ranch Turf is one place that sells me small quantities.

Lowes and Home Depot will usually have St Aug sod. Its a little more expensive but with your small amount needed it shouldn't be that much.

Hi Mark

What is your favorite organic fertilizer for St Augustine lawns (south of Longview- Lake Cherokee)?  And do you applied it earlier than April 1 (my normal first fertilization date).  I have deep sugar sand, therefore most elements leach right through it- I hope the organic will do better than commercial products.

Ps:  Texas 31- KState 17

Hey gmcc, Microlife has been a product I have been pleased with. Its a pellet-form, but is all-natural. You will see a surge of mushrooms with this product, but that is just because of all the nutrients being released combined with conditions. Nothing that will alarm you, just get some practice on your field goal kicking skills.

http://www.microlifefertilizer.com

Hey gmcc, Microlife has been a product I have been pleased with. Its a pellet-form, but is all-natural. You will see a surge of mushrooms with this product, but that is just because of all the nutrients being released combined with conditions. Nothing that will alarm you, just get some practice on your field goal kicking skills.

http://www.microlifefertilizer.com

Be sure to practice short field goals and onsides kicks while clearing those shrooms.