Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burnt Ends - 10/3/2016

• Administrators

95c093cea63bfb4f32f481eff8748700.jpg

The point on a brisket is typically the fattiest cut. Pitmasters often trim the point (and select edges) off a brisket and return those pieces to the smoker.

Are burnt ends tough, chewy worthless cuts of meat, or are they heavenly bites of smoky goodness? It depends on who you ask...

Rather than discard the trimmings and fat, we choose to savor all the information that flows through the site. So, sit down and help yourself to some burnt ends.

+++++

This is a free site, so anyone can read this report. If you share it with someone, please take time to attribute the information to HornSports.

+++++

Was Saturday the beginning of the end for Charlie Strong’s tenure?  It certainly felt like it if you were reading social media between 11-3.  After the Longhorns had two weeks to prepare for Oklahoma State, they laid a huge egg defensively.  There was a myriad of postgame fallout, so we will try to lay this out as best as we can.

• Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods.com reported that he spoke to Athletic Director Mike Perrin following the game, and Perrin advised that he would have to evaluate the situation.  There has been some back and forth over exactly what happened here, but our own Mike Roach was on the scene when the question was asked, and he can confirm Anwar’s side of the story.  Charlie Strong was asked about the comment in his postgame presser, and he responded with: “You’re evaluated each and every day here.”

• After speaking with our sources, we know that he is in no danger of being fired this season, but next week is critical for Strong.  There was already a vocal minority last season looking to get rid of him, and that crowd has grown towards more of a majority. The push is going to be incredible with guys like Tom Herman up for other jobs this year, and the bar is rising on Strong. 

• The players are saying the right things on the surface, but there was a lot of anger following the matchup yesterday.  Coaches had to corral a couple of guys after the game was over. 

• All momentum in recruiting the program had after Notre Dame has evaporated.  We’ve reported all season that the Longhorns are in a great position for a number of targets, but they would have to improve and win to get those guys.  The downside to Charlie’s late closing tactic could potentially leave a new coach scrambling to fill a majority of the class if Texas decides to move in a different direction.

+++++

We had the opportunity to speak to a few coaches and players following the loss in Stillwater.

Charlie Strong

On defensive calls – “I made a few today.  We’ve just got to make sure we execute the calls.”

On defensive failure after two weeks to prepare – “We had guys in position, we just didn’t finish.”

On fixing the defense – “It was just total execution.  The thing that hurt us was third downs.  3rd and 10, 3rd and 15, 3rd and 12, those were the back breakers there.  Those were the things that got us.” 

On effort – “It’s not so much they didn’t try.  They tried, we just didn’t get it done.”

On the feeling around the program – “It’s all about confidence.  You can get that back if you get a win.” 

On defensive performance in second half – “We were able to get the stops and make some plays and big hits.”

On missed tackles – “We had them stopped, we’re just not tackling.  We’re trying to reach and pull him down instead of just wrapping them up.  You can’t ever, when a guy is running at you and he’s an athlete, you can’t break down.  You’ve got to go.  If a receiver can freeze you then you’re in trouble.”

On confidence – “They can get it back.  If you win a game then all of a sudden it shoots back up to where it was.”

Vance Bedford

On the defensive failures – “There’s no magical answer, we’ve just got to go out and play and do a better job.”

On second half success – “I wish I could sit back and say we were successful in the second half.  We might have slowed them down.  They were trying to defend the lead.”

On player rotation – “We started out with our young guys.  We wanted to get those guys out there.  They have great potential to make plays.  We had a few hiccups there, so we wanted to settle guys down.”

On sharing playcalls with Charlie Strong – “It was fine.  We’ve been together for a long time and he’s always been involved.”

On difference between practice and games – “I wish I had an answer.  They didn’t do anything we didn’t expect.  When you have an opportunity to make a tackle that’s what you have to do.  We spent two straight days working on tackling, and we didn’t get that done.”

On his biggest frustration – “We lost.  It’s that simple.  The name of the game is to win.  We need to cut down on giving up big plays.  If we do that we’re going to be just fine.”

Sterlin Gilbert

On Oklahoma State pressure causing problems – “We’ll have to go back and watch the film and look and evaluate.”

On Shane Buechele – “Every rep is a learning experience and a growth rep for him.”

On throwing into tight coverage – “Some of those pitches were probably tight for him just because of what they were doing on the back end.”

On lack of deep throws and Shane’s injury – “That wasn’t part of it.  What they did on the back end, they kept it pretty high shelf for us and made us throw some things underneath.”

Shane Buechele

On his health – “My ribs feel good.  I’m healthy, we just have to take what they give you.”

On the loss of D’Onta Foreman and Chris Warren – “Losing those guys is rough.  Kyle Porter can do just as well as those guys.  He’s a great running back and we have trust in him.”

On the Oklahoma State pressure – “I’ve just got to see things better.  I need to trust in my o-line.  They were doing their job up front, I’ve just got to be more patient.”

On the interception – “It was just a bad read, a bad throw.  You have to be better than that.”

On the team attitude – “The attitude of the team is still good.  We know what we can do, and we’ve shown what we can do.”

On the defense – “We have trust in our defense.  We should have scored more points than we did.”

On lack of deep throws – “We were taking what they were giving us.  We have trust in our play calling, and the play calling was good.  We just have to execute.”

On overall team confidence – “Right now everyone knows we have to get better.  We still have confidence, and we have to continue to have confidence.”

D’Onta Foreman

On his injury – “It was during my run.  When I was running I felt it.  I didn’t think it was that bad.  I tried to go back out there on the field and then when I made a move I felt it.”

(Foreman said the injury occurred when he was pushed into the wall following his touchdown run and he tried to go back in but it affected him on the next play.  He said he felt it was more of a muscle pull than a bone injury and he expects to play against Oklahoma)

On his early success – “I was just trying to do what I’m asked to do.  We ran the ball well, but it wasn’t enough to get us the win.”

Offensive pressure to score and defensive failures – “We’ll get it together.  It’s the little things.  We’ve got to make tackles, and we’ve got to be more efficient on offense.  We weren’t bad today, but it didn’t get us the win.”

Team attitude – “Nobody feels like it’s over.  We’ve got a good team, and we’ve got to clean up our mistakes.”

Team confidence – “I don’t know.  I can speak for myself and say I’m still confident in this team.” 

+++++

We want to stress that we are not aware of any concrete decisions related to a coaching change.  While the Oklahoma game certainly is huge for Charlie Strong, there will be no rush decisions made.  We will pass along a few things we’ve heard from sources we’ve spoken with regarding a possible coaching search in the offseason.

• Tom Herman seems to be the obvious candidate, and he’s certainly the popular choice among fans.  A source close several boosters told us “not so fast”.  From what we were told there is a certain faction of donors that want to make another run at Alabama’s Nick Saban.  The thought is that Saban would be even more open to taking the job due to the increase in talent level and an opportunity to ride into the sunset after righting the Texas ship.
  • It’s well known that Herman would love to have this job, but there will be several openings this offseason.  LSU is already vacant, and USC could be as well.  While Texas will have the inside lane it’s important to know that Herman will have a ton of leverage in upcoming negotiations.
  • If Herman were to leave UH we were told that there is already a plan in place.  In the spring we learned that recruits were notified that if Herman were to be hired away former Texas star Major Applewhite is one of the candidates in line to take over ensuring continuity. 

+++++

Sam Ehlinger made his return to the field last Friday after missing two weeks following a knee injury. HornSports was in attendance to watch Ehlinger against Buda Hays, and we were able to speak with him following a strong performance.

Sam went into the half throwing 12/15 for 205 yards and 4 touchdowns. He did not return to the game in the 2nd half.

HornSports: Have to start off with the obvious question. How’s the knee?

Sam Ehlinger: “Oh it’s great. Both are great. Both are 100%.”

HornSports: You had an incredible game, it’s like you made a statement that you are just fine. What set you off this game?

Sam Ehlinger: “Just missing so many games, and having to watch my brothers go out and compete from the sideline just drives me to be better. I felt that once I got back in there I had to be the best that I can be, and that’s all that I was doing.”

HornSports: Last time I talked to you, you said you wanted to be around 90% passing, today you were pretty dang close at 80%. Are you fine with that or still striving for 90?

Sam Ehlinger: [pause and smiles] “Not close enough.”

HornSports: Still not?

Sam Ehlinger: “There were a couple of balls that should’ve been caught.”

HornSports: How do you feel about the season so far for the Longhorns?

Sam Ehlinger: “I think the Notre Dame win was big. I think they let it slip a little, but they have great coaching. I trust them going forward.”

HornSports: Lastly, who are you working on for recruiting?

Sam Ehlinger: “Still focusing on my boy Walker Little.”

+++++

On the defensive side of the ball, Westlake linebacker Levi Jones had an incredible game. He started the game off by tackling the Hays running back in the endzone for a safety and finished out the half with another tackle for loss. Throw in a few huge hits into the mix, and Levi Jones had a very impressive game.

After the game HornSports talked with the 4-star recruit about his interest in Texas.

HornSports: What made you really come around on the Longhorns in the past few weeks?

Levi Jones: “It wasn’t just now or the past couple of weeks. I’ve always had interest in the Longhorns because my brother went there and it’s right here in our backyard. So it would be nice staying home, but I’ve always just wanted to wait throughout the season, and assess my situation. I want to make my commitment after the Under Armor Game or on Signing Day.  I’m still debating where I want to go very hard”.

HornSports: Will you be taking a trip to Texas any time soon?

Levi Jones: “Next home game. Well maybe. It depends who we play or if I want to go see one of my brothers go play.”

HornSports: You started off the game with a safety. You ended your playing time with a tackle for loss. What got you so fired up for this game?

Levi Jones: “Just playing back at home after being on the road for two weeks. You know it’s just always fun to play football. I’ve got mad passion for it. It was a big week for us. We treat every week like it’s a big game.”

HornSports: Speaking of a big week y’all have Lake Travis next week. What is the main key for you in that game?

Levi Jones: “Just to play my best. Limit mental mistakes. I just want to play football and have fun.”

HornSports: What is the thing you want to improve on your game before you get to the next level next year?

Levi Jones: “I’m not going to limit myself to one thing. It’s a little bit of everything. I’m always trying to get better and never be complacent. I never want to miss a tackle. I want to limit my mistakes.”

Thanks

The shear stupidity and arrogance of some of our BMDs is mind bottling. . . . .

• Tom Herman seems to be the obvious candidate, and he’s certainly the popular choice among fans.  A source close several boosters told us “not so fastâ€.  From what we were told there is a certain faction of donors that want to make another run at Alabama’s Nick Saban.  The thought is that Saban would be even more open to taking the job due to the increase in talent level and an opportunity to ride into the sunset after righting the Texas ship.

Thanks

The shear stupidity and arrogance of some of our BMDs is mind bottling. . . . .

Agreed! It's also the type of fractured thinking that will ensure Texas misses on both...

It seems very clear that Strong isn't the guy. We are complaining about the same things in year 3 that we were complaining about in year 1 (e.g., missed tackles, team unprepared to play when the game starts, silly penalties, etc.) and that has way more to do with coaching than with talent on the roster. 

Compare that to what Herman's done in such a limited time at UH and there should be NO QUESTION that he's an immediate upgrade at worst. And at best, he's the once-a-generation coach that has the chops to put the program in position to compete for championships year-in and year-out for the next 20+ years. Saban seems like a 5 year plan (and extreme long-shot) when we should be thinking much longer term. 

Mostly the fact that Strong stepped into a Power 5 conference with a mostly talentless roster. And on top of what he inherited, he also dismissed a few guys. With that said, if Herman had encountered a similar situation at Houston, would we be sitting her talking about what a fantastic coach he is?  We're only 4 games into Strong's 3rd year and folks want him gone.  And, if he is dismissed, the next guy will look brilliant due to the talent Strong brought into the program.  Look at Louisville. While they just took that "L" against Clemson this weekend, look what Petrino is doing with Strong's talent.  Idk, I kinda think we're calling for dude's head 1 year too early.  I'm not happy with the results on the field AT ALL!  It's actually pathetic. Defense and special teams have been atrocious! Speaking of ST, why isn't anyone asking for Traylor to be removed? (but I digress).  But we're still in position to actually win this conference and make/win a bowl. I'm not so sure the wheels have fallen off quite yet

Mostly the fact that Strong stepped into a Power 5 conference with a mostly talentless roster. And on top of what he inherited, he also dismissed a few guys. With that said, if Herman had encountered an similar situation at Houston, would we be sitting her talking what a fantastic coach he is? We're only 4 games into Strong's year and folks want him gone. And, if he is dismissed, the next guy will look brilliant due to the talent Strong brought into the program. Look at Louisville. While just took that "L" against Clemson this weekend, look what Petrino is doing with Strong's talent. Idk, I kinda think we're calling for dude's head 1 too early. I'm not happy with the results on the field AT ALL! It's actually pathetic. Defense and special teams have been atrocious! Speaking of ST, why isn't anyone asking for Traylor to be removed? (but I digress). But we're still in position to actually win this conference and make/win a bowl. I'm so sure the wheels have fallen off quite yet

I kind of feel the same way.

What if Charlie turns the defense around and they play up to their anticipated potential? Is Charlie in a no win situation? Would people still be clamouring for his head because he should've realized this a lot sooner and got rid of Bedford. I think so, even if they ran the table (which I don't see happening, but it is college football).

Mostly the fact that Strong stepped into a Power 5 conference with a mostly talentless roster. And on top of what he inherited, he also dismissed a few guys. With that said, if Herman had encountered an similar situation at Houston, would we be sitting her talking what a fantastic coach he is? We're only 4 games into Strong's year and folks want him gone. And, if he is dismissed, the next guy will look brilliant due to the talent Strong brought into the program. Look at Louisville. While just took that "L" against Clemson this weekend, look what Petrino is doing with Strong's talent. Idk, I kinda think we're calling for dude's head 1 too early. I'm not happy with the results on the field AT ALL! It's actually pathetic. Defense and special teams have been atrocious! Speaking of ST, why isn't anyone asking for Traylor to be removed? (but I digress). But we're still in position to actually win this conference and make/win a bowl. I'm so sure the wheels have fallen off quite yet

I was exactly of the same mindset as you until this past weekend. What I saw was inexcusable and Charlie looked clueless at times. I'm not saying he needs to go just yet, but check with me Saturday afternoon. I really hope he gets it together and rights the ship. The one thing that he has done in his time at Texas, is being prepared for oklahoma. I hope he is this weekend and can get some momentum and win more than 2 in a row. If the team tanks this weekend, he's done. Charlie is a lights out recruiter and a hell of a good man. I can't figure it out, but maybe he just isn't a fit at Texas. Unlike Mack, he can't put all the marbles together. At least not in Austin.

I understand what you're saying, Dbut82, but Herman also stepped in to a program that lost to UTSA and Tulane the year before. And, even if Strong inherited a "talentless" roster, was it significantly less talented than Houston's? Herman should receive credit for what he's been able to do at UH just like Strong should earn credit for what he's been able to do in recruiting despite poor on-field results. 

What Strong is being called to the carpet for by the majority of the fan base these days is his bungling of the OC/DC coordinators, the lack of fundamentals, and the rhetoric of "unacceptable at Texas and we will get it fixed" while marching out a seemingly worse product the next week. This roster is either still talentless or it's poorly coached - neither option is acceptable in year 3. No one is demanding (or expected) a national championship this year but we should be seeing better returns - especially on the defensive side of the ball where he's supposed to be the guru. We all overlooked the defensive issues last year because the offense was so inept and the defense was "young." But the offense is just as young but, with a new OC/coaching, they look markedly improved. Whereas on the defensive side, we see so little growth from last year that it's troubling.

The time for Saban-Texas has come and gone. We don't need to be a short-time sunset ride for an aging prima donna.

I'd prefer we go young, energetic, crafty and someone the kids will respect and follow.

Exactly, these arrogant dumb ass boosters want a head coach that is almost 70 years old to come to Austin. I'd rather be young and energetic like you said. Tom Herman is like 41, go get him now

... From what we were told there is a certain faction of donors that want to make another run at Alabama’s Nick Saban. The thought is that Saban would be even more open to taking the job due to the increase in talent level and an opportunity to ride into the sunset after righting the Texas ship.

There was a time, not so long ago, when someone was called a liar for quoting his sources that Texas was after Voldemort.

Can we not begin to question these players? My working theory at the present is that in general Texas high school football is not producing great winning football teams and players as it once did. With the proliferation of the Leach or Briles offenses we are witnessing a total focus on offense and offensive skill positions. Further, the offensive linemen are also more specialized to pass block. The result is the loss in the ability to smash when you need or have to. Also, high school defenses giving up 50 points per game give defenders the impression that a few stops per game is evidence of them doing their job. Phooey

When the Pittsburgh Steelers draft a guy at almost any position they select the ass kicker of the bunch almost every time. They want to be the more physical team. It always seems to show versus other teams come November. Likewise, maybe Texas ought to recruit some ball players instead of the paper tigers that won the genetic lottery. We look fantastic in February and questionable come game time.

Put a lineup of 11 ass kickers on defense that are going to whoop you every play on the field and the opposing offense's desire to potentially get their teeth knocked out late in the game will diminish. We fix this thing by neutralizing this arena league brand of football.

Speaking of ST, why isn't anyone asking for Traylor to be removed? (but I digress).

According to our new beat writer, Strong is in charge of the special teams this year.

Question: If Herman had stepped into a similar situation at Houston that Strong stepped into at Texas, would he realize the same success?

I believe his situation was worse which makes him even more appealing to the masses.

I, like everyone else, drank all the burnt orange Kool-Aid after the ND game. Who knew we weren't getting refills? 

Good write up but what I found interesting your source is the only one from any site that did not say the wheels are in motion for Strong to be out... 

I'm guessing that's because the wheels are NOT in motion.

A poster on another site posted that it was no accident that Mike Perrin was at Charlie's press conference yesterday. Said he was there to show support for Charlie. I think he was too. 

Mostly the fact that Strong stepped into a Power 5 conference with a mostly talentless roster. 

I heard this excuse for the first 2 years.  

Funny how our Defense was top 25 with this mostly "talentless" roster.....Mack's recruits.  Is UH and K-State loaded with talent?  Coaching trumps Talent.  We lack the former.

The last 2 years our defense is crap.  We are in year THREE and we are still slinging this bullshit around.

I heard this excuse for the first 2 years.  

Funny how our Defense was top 25 with this mostly "talentless" roster.....Mack's recruits.  Is UH and K-State loaded with talent?  Coaching trumps Talent.  We lack the former.

The last 2 years our defense is crap.  We are in year THREE and we are still slinging this bullshit around.

Somehow, Harbaugh is doing just fine with Brady Hoke's talent at Michigan. Is Harbaugh a good coach, or is Brady Hoke a recruiting genius? Look at Richt at Miami. And Petersen at Washington.

There are an incredible number of things that are necessary to have a successful college football program. A the top of that list is a good coach. Talent will never hide coaching ineptitude. Good coaching can absolutely diminish the problems of a lesser talented team.

I think we need to go no further in evaluating Charlie Strong than to look at player development over the past two years. Even Malik hasn't developed as a player.

Coaching is Texas' problem. End of story.