Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On Vance Bedford

Mike Roach

We heard yesterday that Vance would be relieved of his duties and that Charlie Strong would be looking to bring someone in on an interim basis. We've even heard a name on who that might be, but we've been working to find out more there. Multiple sites are reporting this, and we can confirm those reports. Once we verify more news we will bring it to you.

I don't think anyone is available that would magically solve all the problems

That's the problem. This is a move that ideally needs to be done in the offseason. Most reputable coordinators who are looking for a job aren't just sitting around during week 5, waiting for the phone to ring. Even if someone was out there, instituting a new scheme from a brand new coach takes weeks to adjust to. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario, since obviously keeping Bedford isn't/wasn't going to work. I think that we just have to accept that at this point in the season, the only two realistic options are 1) have Charlie take over, or 2) promote from within (BJM?). Any changes more major than that (for both HC and DC) would have to be addressed in the offseason.

Mike, what are your thoughts on Charlie taking over the defense? Can the poor fundamentals we've seen be fixed over the course of a few weeks, or is this year's defense a lost cause in that regard?

That's the problem. This is a move that ideally needs to be done in the offseason. Most reputable coordinators who are looking for a job aren't just sitting around during week 5, waiting for the phone to ring. Even if someone was out there, instituting a new scheme from a brand new coach takes weeks to adjust to. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario, since obviously keeping Bedford isn't/wasn't going to work. I think that we just have to accept that at this point in the season, the only two realistic options are 1) have Charlie take over, or 2) promote from within (BJM?). Any changes more major than that (for both HC and DC) would have to be addressed in the offseason.

Mike, what are your thoughts on Charlie taking over the defense? Can the poor fundamentals we've seen be fixed over the course of a few weeks, or is this year's defense a lost cause in that regard?

For all intents and purposes this was always Charlie'a defense. Vance was just the guy pulling the levers. If kids can't tackle I don't know how to fix that. They've been doing these things since 7th grade in most cases. The reality is when you are lauded as a genius on your side of the ball and then need to bring in a coordinator to fix that side, it probably spells the end for you.

This move will disappoint me if true. Just shows how reactionary Charlie is and how he is always chasing problems from behind. It's a pretty good indictment on a head coach when your staff is in constant upheaval.

I hate saying it but Charlie is not the man for The University of Texas.

This move will disappoint me if true. Just shows how reactionary Charlie is and how he is always chasing problems from behind. It's a pretty good indictment on a head coach when your staff is in constant upheaval.

I don't want to give this post a "like". Not because I don't agree with it, because I truly hate to see Charlie Strong fail.  

My hope, although very slim is that our defensive problems could be a simple cure- somewhat like a "grip" change in golf- Don't think so.

If he was truly reactionary, this would have happened after Cal (I mean at 2015 seasons end).  His loyalty is one of his biggest flaws!

Rumor is Strong called the defense in the second half, there could be something to this.  The second half was noticeably different AND THEY ONLY SCORED 12 POINTS.

Rumor is Strong called the defense in the second half, there could be something to this.  The second half was noticeably different. 

What is the legitimacy of this rumor? There were times they looked better in the second half. If true, that would frustrate me even more. Charlie should've taken the reigns over during the bye week and figured out how he would handle play calling with game management and other head coaching duties. Furthermore, if true, he would've essentially wasted a game to give Vance one more chance...one more than he deserved.

What is the legitimacy of this rumor? There were times they looked better in the second half. If true, that would frustrate me even more. Charlie should've taken the reigns over during the bye week and figured out how he would handle play calling with game management and other head coaching duties. Furthermore, if true, he would've essentially wasted a game to give Vance one more chance...one more than he deserved.

Even if the playcalling changed for the 2nd half, that doesn't explain the lack of fundamentals, which seemed more prevalent in the first half. Having a different playcaller doesn't really affect the tackling and bad angles, unless it's just a mental thing for the players. I'd have to go back and re-watch the game to really compare the two halves scheme-wise, but I don't currently have enough alcohol to do that.