Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Longhorn Baseball Fall News and Notes

Donald Boyles

Today David Pierce and staff put the players through a 12 inning scrimmage.

The Lineup & Pitching Rotation for the Gray Team

1.) Tyler Rand LF...................Morgan Cooper 1st&2nd inning
2.) Joe Baker DH....................Jon Malmin 3rd&4th
3.) Bret Boswell SS..................Blake Wellman 5th&6th
4.) Austin Todd CF...................Eric Dunbar 7th&8th
5.) Patrick Mathis RF................Beau Ridgeway 9th&10th
6.) Michael Cantu C...................Kevin Roliard
7.) Ryan Reynolds 3rd
8.) Andy McGuire 1st
9.)Austin McNicholas 2nd

Lineup & Pitching Rotation for the Orange Team

1.) Zane Gurwitz 2nd....................Nick Kennedy 1st& 2nd
2.) David Hamilton SS..................Nolan Kingham 3rd&4th
3.) Travis Jones CF........................Tyler Schimpf 5th&6th
4.) Andres Sosa 3rd/C....................Jake Mckenzie 7th&8th
5.) Kaleb Denny 1st.........................Blair Henley 9th&10th
6.) Trace Bucey RF...........................Beau O'Hara 11&12th
7.) Mike McCann C
8.) Tate Shaw LF
9.) Jake McKenzie

Some Highlights from the 12 inning scrimmage.. HOT Hot Hot

Patrick Mathis had a two run homer over the right field fence in the 2nd inning, think he finished for 3-6 for the day. Michael Cantu had a solo shot that is on it way to Dallas(over the left field fence) Pierce commented that ball went 500ft. Then Freshman Austin Todd had a two run shot to close out the scoring for the Gray team, 8 runs on 10-11 hits

Orange team could only muster 3 runs when freshman left field drove a pitch into left center field for a 3 run triple.

took some video.. looks like some was not the best, about 10 minutes long

Two questions, Don

Mayes did not pitch,  rest or injury  ?

Will the parking garage be ready for next season,  or any word on parking  ?

Thanks  !

(Can't get rid of the underline, sry)   .

Kyle Johnston, Connor Mayes, Josh Sawyer and a few others did not pitch as this was not their day to throw.

Plus, Johnston & Mayes both had a long summer out in California plyaing for their summer collegiate team, Santa Barbara Foresters.

The parking lot is a mess, I am sure that they will be ready, but it looks like they have along way to go.

Kyle Johnston, Connor Mayes, Josh Sawyer and a few others did not pitch as this was not their day to throw.

Plus, Johnston & Mayes both had a long summer out in California plyaing for their summer collegiate team, Santa Barbara Foresters.

The parking lot is a mess, I am sure that they will be ready, but it looks like they have along way to go.

Prob won't see much out of Johnston or Mayes in the Fall because of what Donald said.  They threw a lot of innings; Mayes at 49.2 (2.17 ERA) and Johnston at 52.1 (1.89 ERA)

Also hearing that there's a scrimmage this Saturday vs the 18U Team USA Baseball Team in Houston.  No idea on if there will be any coverage or not. 

Prob won't see much out of Johnston or Mayes in the Fall because of what Donald said.  They threw a lot of innings; Mayes at 49.2 (2.17 ERA) and Johnston at 52.1 (1.89 ERA)

Also hearing that there's a scrimmage this Saturday vs the 18U Team USA Baseball Team in Houston.  No idea on if there will be any coverage or not. 

Uh.. Texas announced this like 3 weeks ago..

http://texassports.com/news/2016/8/17/baseball-to-play-usa-baseball-18u-national-team-at-urban-youth-academy.aspx

Don,  when time permits,  could you critique Pierce's recruiting methods ?  Both pro and con.    As much as I love college baseball,  do not follow recruiting.

Understand that he has 6 recruits for 2019 and one (Aaron Nixon) for 2020.    

-  How does this compare to the previous Texas' recruiting philosophy ?

-   Do the other baseball powers in-state and Nationally recruit that far in advance ?

-   Does Pierce evaluate how many will make it to campus and does he seem to have a set image of the player he wants regardless of ranking ?

-   Time will tell if this style is succesful  ?

Appreciate your comments when you have time.   Let me know where to send the $9.95.     :)  

Mav,

Donald has a better finger on the pulse of this type of thing, but here's my 2-cents.

Pierce & Co have never had this type of clout when it comes to getting in touch with top prospects. "Texas Baseball Calling" carries with it a history and impression that few, if any, programs bring to the table.

The one thing I have noticed is not necessarily the early commits from kids a couple of years away, rather it's the fact that he isn't isolating his recruiting to mainly one or two travel programs. He is going after kids across the state, affiliated with several different programs.

I can't speak for other baseball "powers," but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they're not doing the same thing as Pierce. Pierce has to fill the pipeline, and get some buzz going in the recruiting circuit now. I think he and his staff have done a great job with this in a very short time.

I'm sure they're evaluating the likelihood of these kids getting to campus. That's rather difficult with some of the 2019/20 kids, but I'm sure the discussions are being had.

Donald can offer up more specifics as he is much closer to the circuit than I am.

BTW, excellent questions.

Pierce has to fill the pipeline, and get some buzz going in the recruiting circuit now

Thank you for the insightful, excellent comments,  joey  !    I think your quote above is a good summary.

I have these concerns:

Presently, I count 40 players on the roster meaning 5 will be cut by January (4 if Kody takes a medical redshirt ?).    This has also happened in the past.   It was interesting that Zubia decommitted from Tulane to follow Pierce so obviously he will be added.

As with any coaching change,  there is always the possibility of dissension between the upperclassmen vs the freshmen.   Gurwitz and Cantu as leaders,  along with the coaching staff,  will have a challenge.

It seems that you have to be very careful in early recruiting,  not exactly knowing what your needs will be and how to distribute the 11.7 scholarships.  What looks bad is if you have to pull a previous commitment.  It is my understanding that occurred with a member of the 2016 class 

for an unverified reason.    But that is not a good scenario or image for Texas Baseball. 

Also,  there are only 2 catchers listed on the roster (Cantu/McCann).   Perhaps there is another player that has catcher experience,  but I was hoping another catcher would be added, even from the juco ranks.   It appears we will not have an experienced bullpen catcher like in the past which is a concern.   Those guys are an important part of the team. 

Cuts happen every season and with most programs. Shouldn't be an issue here.

Regarding the catchers, I would not be too concerned.

My 2-cents: They can always get a walk-on or kid that doesn't make the official roster to be the bullpen C. He just won't travel with the team. McCann and Cantu will handle the duties on a regular basis, and one will act as the BP C on the road trips. While I absolutely agree this is an important position, I am 100% confident in this staff to manage this situation.

Texas vs. USA Baseball Observation

Positives:

Cooper - Command was a B, with a overpowering fastball. Did not use offspeed pitches.

Henley - Command was a A. Composure was a A. Reminds me of JD Smart and Jake O’Dell

Mathis - He’s going to be a top 12 round pick next year.

Boswell - The most polished hitter Texas has. He will go early in the draft as well

Gurwitz - Some MLB Team will pick him up late in the draft and get a steal. The dude is good.

Negatives:

Coaching Staff Grade: D

Besides Cooper and Henley the pitchers look like crap. Very inconsistent without good velocity.

No hitting philosophy. Coach Pierce talks a good game to the media but it's obvious that there is not the philosophy on hitting. If you take out Mathis, Boswell and Gurwitz everyone else is swinging and missing wildly. It’s like if you swing as hard as you can you will start. Todd, Reynolds and Sosa swung and missed at most pitches they saw and they weren’t even close. Coach Pierce talked about a bat control move runners over and drive the ball in the gaps. Where is that??? The players say there is no philosophy !!!!

The Defense was horrendous and not Texas like. Coach Pierce went against Coach Garrido and started Travis Jones at SS. It was an embarrassment !!! Coach Pierce also played David Hamilton at 2nd Base. HE’S AN OUTFIELDER !!! Can you say Curtis Granderson. But Hamilton’s parents insist he play in the infield, Coach Pierce caved in. Texas has 3 middle infielders its very very simple. Baker, Gurwitz and McNicholas. Gurwitz is the only one that saw action. Coach Pierce this is the University of Texas, where Spike Owen, Bill Bates, Koby Kerlin and Seth Johnston played. Look at Oklahoma State Coach Pierce… Donnie Walton and JR Davis. You have McNicholas and Baker.

Bottom Line - Coach Pierce and his rag tag assistant coaches are in above their heads. I saw a downgrade in every aspect of the University of Texas Baseball Team. This is not Sam Houston State, Tulane or even Rice.

Here’s your lineup Coach it’s not rocket science !!!!

Gurwitz CF

Boswell 3B

Jones 1B

Mathis RF

Baker SS/2B

Hamilton DH

Cantu C

McNicholas SS/2B

Rand LF

I take it you were at the game?

Oltorfian  -  your post is like my nightmare being true !      :)

Are you sure about Hamilton  ?    He played infield in hs, correct  ?   If fact,  I hoped he would compete for SS but saw he played 2B.   He was a Nicholson recruit which may be concerning.   Baker did not play.  Injury  ?    You are right about the middle infield.   Have to be strong up the middle. 

Boswell seems to be more comfortable at 3b which relates to his improved hitting.   With Kody injured,  Pierce is trying to find a SS.   Travis Jones did play SS in hs but does not seem to be athletic enough for any D1 fielding position (1b/of)   Never understood why he doesn't try to pitch.   Has the arm and physical traits.    Just looks like a pitcher.

The box score verifies your hitting observation.   6 hits, and 10k's  (Cantu/Jones twice)   Tulane hit .248 and .253 as a team under Pierce.  But I think led the NCAA in HR's which is why he probably wants to bring in the fences. 

Bottom Line - Coach Pierce and his rag tag assistant coaches are in above their heads

This was my concern about the hire.   But when you do not have an AD,  it is what it is.  A competent AD would have someone vetted in advance knowing that Augie's contract would not be extended and possibly shortened. 

That said,  let's give more than 1 Fall game and about 7 days practice before we erect the cross for the crucifixion.  :)

Note:  As I type this,  UH is leading Team USA 8-2 after 6.