Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Five Takeaways Following a Late Night Loss to Cal

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are big believers in "process" based thinking. Especially Saban.

Just the 2 best coaches in the college game right now. 

Do you understand what Saban and Meyer are saying when they talk about "the process?"

"The process" Saban and Meyer talk of is a core belief that the willingness to prepare in a methodical, daily basis is the key to success. And not just the starters, or the players. They believe successful organizations are methodical from top to bottom and every staff member the players interact with from within the organization is dedicated to the same principle of constant, methodical dedication to improvement.

They don't believe you avoid running successful plays out of a slavish obligation to an offense scheme conjured up before their starting quarterback was knocked senseless and left the game. And they certainly don't believe it is ok to lose a game they should have won because they failed to exploit the opportunities the other team gave them.

Do you understand what Saban and Meyer are saying when they talk about "the process?"

"The process" Saban and Meyer talk of is a core belief that the willingness to prepare in a methodical, daily basis is the key to success. And not just the starters, or the players. They believe successful organizations are methodical from top to bottom and every staff member the players interact with from within the organization is dedicated to the same principle of constant, methodical dedication to improvement.

They don't believe you avoid running successful plays out of a slavish obligation to an offense scheme conjured up before their starting quarterback was knocked senseless and left the game. And they certainly don't believe it is ok to lose a game they should have won because they failed to exploit the opportunities the other team gave them.

I know perfectly well what Saban and Meyer are saying when they talk about "the process". Why do you ask?

I know perfectly well what Saban and Meyer are saying when they talk about "the process". Why do you ask?

Because your invoking Saban and Meyer's application of the phrase "the process" has nothing to do with what was being discussed here. The discussion here was how "the process" dictated a confidence that executing the overall tactical scheme they started the game with, and not going to a run-heavy play selection, would score enough points to win. You brought up a head coach's strategic approach to managing an athletics program.

The strategic philosophy of Saban and Meyer has nothing to do with Mike's comment that Gilbert was right in his tactical play calling.

"The strategic philosophy of Saban and Meyer has nothing to do with Mike's comment that Gilbert was right in his tactical play calling."

In other words, if it's not broken don't fix it.

But our OC gets a pass from me. We're a hell of a lot better on that side of the ball and he is still learning.

We areyoung. The coaches will get it fixed. The poor refereeing hurt us.Sounds like last year again too me.

The facts are the coaches are not doing thier jobs. And neither are the players.If the players are all that good its the coaches.If the players are not all that good poor jobin recruiting.This is the third year and we are seeing the same old product. Hope Strong can fix it. If not bring in some one who can. Charlie old school is looking pretty good. Then they and Houston has a very good QB.

I think Gilbert is a great hire. He has brought excitement back to our offense. I still do not agree with the play calling, especially having Swoopes throw a short pass that gets intercepted. Swoopes has on hell of a fastball but his touch on shorter routes is missing. Not his strength so don't call it. I would love to sit down with coach Gilbert with a few beers and ask him if your next opponent is giving up 6 yards a carry will you call more running plays.

Because your invoking Saban and Meyer's application of the phrase "the process" has nothing to do with what was being discussed here. The discussion here was how "the process" dictated a confidence that executing the overall tactical scheme they started the game with, and not going to a run-heavy play selection, would score enough points to win. You brought up a head coach's strategic approach to managing an athletics program.

The strategic philosophy of Saban and Meyer has nothing to do with Mike's comment that Gilbert was right in his tactical play calling.

We'll agree to disagree on whether or not their is a connection between Saban's process and what is being discussed in this thread. But there are several Saban quotes talking about process over results which Mike mentioned in one of his above posts.

Now go to the second half "play by play" on the Texas website and see how many plays you can find where you think it was a mistake to pass the ball instead of running it.

When specifically did you have a problem with the process of playcalling? I can tell you the one time I did. Last drive of the game and 3 straight passes. That's the only time. The offense did enough to win that game. They got tripped up mostly by penalties and turnovers. The turnover swoopes threw we can discuss. The one Buechele threw was with short time and Texas trying to exploit a quick turn in momentum. It didn't work, so people lament the results. That's my only point.

"The strategic philosophy of Saban and Meyer has nothing to do with Mike's comment that Gilbert was right in his tactical play calling."

In other words, if it's not broken don't fix it.

But our OC gets a pass from me. We're a hell of a lot better on that side of the ball and he is still learning.

Learning and growing. As is the offense with these players. Everyone likes aggressive until it doesn't work.

Learning and growing. As is the offense with these players. Everyone likes aggressive until it doesn't work.

Everyone likes winning. Almost anyone would sacrifice aggressive for successful. Especially after the starting QB gets knocked out if the game, the defense can't get out of its own way and the run game is producing 6.6 yds per attempt.

As rough of a night as the defensive secondary was having, how can anyone not think it would have been worth a try to keep them off the field by burning some clock with the run game?

Charlie's game management is just mind boggling at times.

Not bagging on the D, but man, when your O can hang 40+ on ANYONE, you should win 100% of the time. D has to get stops, period....

This true frosh QB is gonna be great. He's Colt part 2 in my book. In fact, he's ahead of Colt this early in his career. He throws a great ball, specifically his long ball for the most part. Looks like he has great football savvy.

D has to get more push to hurry the QB. Can't allow QB to sit..Can't happen.

Specials have to be great, Punt, PR, KOR, KOC, FG/EPT....

A lot to clean up and get fixed...difference this year and moving forward, looks like Coach Strong has the talent to win!

Everyone likes winning. Almost anyone would sacrifice aggressive for successful. Especially after the starting QB gets knocked out if the game, the defense can't get out of its own way and the run game is producing 6.6 yds per attempt.

As rough of a night as the defensive secondary was having, how can anyone not think it would have been worth a try to keep them off the field by burning some clock with the run game?

Charlie's game management is just mind boggling at times.

Again, which times did Texas throw the ball on drives that they should have run outside of the two I mentioned above? I thought they mixed run/pass pretty well

Looking at the big picture...most of us would have been happy with a 2-1 start, although we probably thought the loss would be to ND not Cal.  I think it is a great time to have a bye week and then we can make a run at our next two big games.  I'm OK with letting things play out and see what the coaches can accomplish during the off week.

And regardless of what anyone is tired of hearing, this is a young team and that will bring inconsistency.  That's just the way it is.  in any college sport and for that matter any high school sport, experience is a commodity.  Juniors and Seniors with 2-3 years of experience are an advantage.

Again, which times did Texas throw the ball on drives that they should have run outside of the two I mentioned above? I thought they mixed run/pass pretty well

Texas had two QBs, one a good passer and the other experienced, but not a good enough passer to be the starter. The passing quarterback was injured. The defensive secondary showed it was unable to perform.

And your strategic vision was to have either the injured QB or the poor thrower sling it around and hurry up to get the defense back on the field, instead of moving the ball 6.6 yards per snap and running the clock.

I understand why you are a big Charlie Strong fan. You certainly think alike.

Texas football is an ugly, steaming mess right now. Every Big 12 offensive coordinator is licking their chops for the week they get to destroy UT. Charlie couldn't even see the mess that was right in front of him leading up to the Cal clusterf##k. He isn't capable of fixing what he can't comprehend.

Charlie's stewardship of the program has been one rolling clusterf##k after another. He is in over his head. The staff has never been coherent. The team has always been young because player development under Charlie sucks.

UT football will continue to struggle to win games and roll over to lose games badly. Once again, the defense is among the worst in the history of the program. We all know how this is going to end. The only question is when it will end. I will be happy if it ends after Charlie gets his ass handed to him in blowout fashion after the next two games, not because I want to see the team Lise, but because Charlie needs to go.

I have seen nothing to make me think Charlie Strong is on the verge of joining Saban, Meyer, Shaw, Stoops or Harbaugh as coaches who have proven themselves at a high level. Charlie needs to go back to the mid-major level where his skills are a better fit. He doesn't deserve the opportunity to continue to drag UT football down to the level of a mid-major program.

The team has been exposed and I have no confidence Charlie has a clue what to do. It's a staff problem, not a player execution problem. The staff isn't getting the job done, for the third year in a row.

I totally understand the whole idea of running the ball, especially when it was having the success it was having against Cal. But that's not always a sure fire thing as illustrated by our next to last possession. 

Texas gets the ball back with 10:39 left in the game down 43-40. Perfect time to pound the ball down the field, eat up a bunch of clock, and take the lead. And here's what happens.

-We start the drive with a D. Foreman run of 11 yards and he carries the ball 5 more times during this 12 play drive.

-Of those 5 carries, 4 are on first down and they go for 2, 2, 0, and 4 yards. His other run goes for 1 yard on a 2nd and 16.  

-Tyrone rushes 1 time for 6 yards but it gets called back on a Beck holding penalty.

-Even though this was the extent of our rushing on this drive, we still manage to get a FG out of this mess to tie the game.

-Probably had something to do with 3 pass completions of 10 yards each and another for 19 with only 1 incompletion.

-BTW, this was also the most time consuming drive we had for the entire game at 5:10. 

Texas had two QBs, one a good passer and the other experienced, but not a good enough passer to be the starter. The passing quarterback was injured. The defensive secondary showed it was unable to perform.

And your strategic vision was to have either the injured QB or the poor thrower sling it around and hurry up to get the defense back on the field, instead of moving the ball 6.6 yards per snap and running the clock.

I understand why you are a big Charlie Strong fan. You certainly think alike.

Texas football is an ugly, steaming mess right now. Every Big 12 offensive coordinator is licking their chops for the week they get to destroy UT. Charlie couldn't even see the mess that was right in front of him leading up to the Cal clusterf##k. He isn't capable of fixing what he can't comprehend.

Charlie's stewardship of the program has been one rolling clusterf##k after another. He is in over his head. The staff has never been coherent. The team has always been young because player development under Charlie sucks.

UT football will continue to struggle to win games and roll over to lose games badly. Once again, the defense is among the worst in the history of the program. We all know how this is going to end. The only question is when it will end. I will be happy if it ends after Charlie gets his ass handed to him in blowout fashion after the next two games, not because I want to see the team Lise, but because Charlie needs to go.

I have seen nothing to make me think Charlie Strong is on the verge of joining Saban, Meyer, Shaw, Stoops or Harbaugh as coaches who have proven themselves at a high level. Charlie needs to go back to the mid-major level where his skills are a better fit. He doesn't deserve the opportunity to continue to drag UT football down to the level of a mid-major program.

The team has been exposed and I have no confidence Charlie has a clue what to do. It's a staff problem, not a player execution problem. The staff isn't getting the job done, for the third year in a row.

Answer the question man. When specifically did you have a problem with it? Or maybe we just agree to disagree since you keep going off on other tangents.

Mike, I can't give specific plays or down and distance when I thought we should have run but we passed. I read on Twitter or here, I'm not sure which but it said we threw on first downs more in this game then we did against ND. That struck me as odd since ND dline was considered pretty darn good.

Overall the run/pass mix was 51/39. I'd have to take a look at the drive charts, but I can see attacking a team deep after you've hit them for some big runs. I know everyone looks at this that or the other as a reason they lost, but this was a case of untimely penalties, turnovers, and most of all pathetic defense.

Answer the question man. When specifically did you have a problem with it? Or maybe we just agree to disagree?

I asked the same thing in post #33 and he hasn't answered me either. 

The run to pass ratio was just about dead even in the first half and we put up 31 points on offense. 

It was about a 60-40 run to pass ratio in the 2nd half and we scored 10 points.

I would have taken a 1 point victory, but this defense needs something and a loss may very well bring that to fruition.  They're consistently out of possession.  We saw it against ND as well.  I'm thankful we now have offense, but the lack of push at the point of attack, the lack of speed at safety and the utter ignorance I have seen at corner have me screaming WTF at the television.    

The offense sputtered a few times, but stupid/untimely penalties didn't help that.  All in all, the offense and scheme did enough to win the game.

The turnovers were F'n huge because they lead to points after the defense had just taken care of business!  Looks like a young ass team to me.

I completely understand everyone's patience being very, very thin at this point. We haven't had anything resembling a top tier football team in this decade. Perspective is needed sometimes to get people to step back from the ledge. Remember, before '05, it had been 35 years, 35 years, since our last natty. I followed my beloved horns for most of my life without ever experiencing them getting to the pinnacle of college football. We are all still living with the monster that Mack created. Everything, including the success of football teams, ebbs and flows. We all need to step back from the ledge, and understand that we all want the same thing...our football team back on top of the mountain. I have never been, and will never be a fair weather fan. I've bled burnt orange since birth, even when our football team was nothing to write home about. Of course, I'm not saying I enjoy being a fan of a "s@&t show of a football team, but I truly believe that throwing Charlie out on his ass won't do anything but set the team further back on the path to greatness. Hook 'em Horns! #Believe