Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Quotes by Legendary Coaches / Players

OrangeLarry

Most have probably seen these quotes previously, but interesting to read again...

Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football" - John Heisman   

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." â€“ Bear Bryant /  Alabama 

"
It isn't necessary to see a good tackle, you can hear it!" - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame   

"At  Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money, and we don't have any." â€“ Erik Russell / Georgia Southern 

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." -  Lou Holtz / Arkansas - Notre Dame 

"When you win, nothing hurts."  -  Joe Namath /  Alabama 

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall."  -  Frank Leahy / Notre Dame

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."  -  Woody Hayes /  Ohio  State 

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation.  I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." -  Bob Devaney /  Nebraska    

"In  Alabama, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant."  -  Wally Butts / Georgia

"I never graduated from  Iowa .  But I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."  –  Alex Karras /  Iowa 

"My advice to defensive players is to take the shortest route to the ball, and arrive in a bad humor."  -  Bowden Wyatt /  Tennessee 

"I could have been a Rhodes Scholar except for my grades."  - Duffy Daugherty /  Michigan  State

"Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David."  -  Shug Jordan /  Auburn     

"I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the  Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me ."   He said, "Well, Walt, we took a look at you, and you weren't any good."  -  Walt Garrison /  Oklahoma  State 

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel."  -  Bobby Bowden /  Florida  State 

"Football is NOT a contact sport, it is a collision sport.  Dancing IS a contact sport." -  Duffy Daugherty / Michigan  State 

After USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his post-game message to his team was, "All those who need showers, take them."  -  John McKay / USC 

"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."  -   Murray Warmath /  Minnesota 

"The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb.  To be a back, you only have to be dumb."   -  Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches."   -  Darrell Royal /  Texas     

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not  blocking."
 -  John McKay / USC 

"I've found that prayers work best when you have big players."   -  Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

Ohio  State 's Urban Meyer on one of his players: "He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words."

Why do  Tennessee fans wear orange?
 So they can dress that way for the game on Saturday, go hunting on Sunday, and pick up trash on Monday.

What does the average  Alabama player get on his SATs? Drool.

How many  Michigan  State freshmen football players does it take to change a light bulb? None. That's a sophomore course.

How did the  Auburn football player die from drinking milk? The cow fell on him.

Two Texas A&M football players were walking in the woods. One of them said, "Look, a dead bird." The other looked up in the sky and said," Where?"

What do you say to a  Baylor  University football player dressed in a three-piece suit? "Will the defendant please rise."

If three  Rutgers football players are in the same car, who is driving? The police officer.

How can you tell if a Clemson football player has a girlfriend? There's tobacco juice on both sides of the pickup truck.

What do you get when you put 32  Georgia cheerleaders in one room? A full set of teeth.

University of  Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh is only going to dress half of his players for the game this week; the other half will have to dress themselves.

How is the  Kansas football team like an opossum? They play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Why did the  Tennessee linebacker steal a police car? He saw "911" on the side and thought it was a Porsche.

How do you get a former Aggie football player off your porch? Pay him for the pizza.

Quotes from my fave RB, QB and one of the most quotable coaches of all time...

Earl Campbell...

"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before"

"Somebody will always break your records. It is how you live that counts."

"I played football with my whole body - My hands, my head, my face. I did it all."

"I talk to student-athletes. I try to get them to remember that they're not just athletes, but student-athletes. You need to get an education, keep your hands clean and try to represent the university."

"My running style was kind of just head-on, because I couldn't dance."

"I had two things I could do: I could run over you, and I could put a good stiff arm on you. That was about it."

Dan Marino...

"The will to prepare, the guts to risk, and the desire to be the best. These are trademarks of champions."

"There is no defense against a perfect pass. I can throw the perfect pass."

"I throw better than anybody in college, and I can throw with anybody in the pros. There, that's what I think. That sounds awful, doesn't it?"

"As a young man God blessed me with a special talent to throw a football."

"You have to feel you're the best at what you do. You don't have to come out and say it. But you have to know it within yourself."

"The scoreboard can't make you a loser. If you walk off the field with your head up, you don't lose. You don't hang your head for nobody. People in the stands think you're the greatest or the worst - their opinion doesn't make a difference. The only opinion that makes any difference is your own opinion of yourself."

"As a team, you need to come from behind every once in awhile just to do it. Good for the attitude. It makes it exciting. And when everybody knows you have to throw it... that makes it fun too."

"I've tried, at every step in life, to find a lesson. And accepting criticism with the same grace that you do the applause is something every young athlete needs to learn. ... I think it served me well to learn how to handle everything that came with the game's ups and downs. Some people call it growing another layer of skin. I just call it growing up."

"I've been a Dolphin for 17 years, and I'll be a Dolphin for the rest of my life. That will never change."

"I want to know what it's like to play in a Super Bowl and win one. My career will be great without it. But, personally, selfishly, I want to know what it feels like."  I wish he'd found out what it feels like!!

" Ace Ventura: [begging] Please don't kill me. I'll never tell anyone. Kill him, he's the one you want.
Dan Marino: No, no kill him.
Ace Ventura: No kill him. He held the ball wrong, remember? Come on, look at the guy.
[Lt. Einhorne shoots into the air]
Dan Marino: Cry-baby.
Ace Ventura: Jock.
Dan Marino: Wimp.
Ace Ventura: Muscle-head."

Bum Phillips...

(On Don Shula) "He can take his’n and beat your’n and take your’n and beat his’n."

"Two kinds of ballplayers aren’t worth a darn: One that never does what he’s told, and one who does nothin’ except what he’s told."

"You don’t know a ladder has splinters until you slide down it."

"The harder we played, the behinder we got."

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."

"Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a bitch in!"

"If I drop dead tomorrow, at least I’ll know I died in good health."

"I thought I did until I looked at some old game films. (When asked if he played college football)"

A few more...

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking." - John Mackay (credit to streettopeschel for the inspiration)

"I've got to go, Rock. It's all right. I'm not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it, and I'll be happy." - George Gipp

"Well, on uh, Fake Draw Screen Right I uh, pick up the linebacker if he's comin, 'less of course it's Butkus, then I simply notify the quarterback to send for a preacher." - James Caan (Brian's Song)

And finally the funniest quote of all...

The Aggie Code of Honor which Aggies recite by heart: 'Aggies do not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those that do' shows what goes to the heart of being an Aggie. - Texas A&M leadership