Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AP Poll: Longhorns barely miss Top 10

HornSports Staff

WOW. Never thought we'd get vaulted that high. 

– Okla State beats someone 61-7 and falls a spot in the rankings. LOL

– I'm not sure Iowa or TCU belong here, at least for now.

– Come'on Is Michigan really that good or is the media just in love with Harbaugh?

– Houston at 6 is interesting. Not many stumbling blocks left for them in their schedule. They may stick while a couple others fall along the way. Coogs in the playoffs?

– Tennessee, why are you here?

OK here is a reasonable post from texaggy. Of course the goofball doesn't know the difference between an adjective and an adverb.

"Dusty_Dawg_Ag1:26p

We all know that tu media bias is a reality. However, say what you want, tu looked good against a good ND team, IMO.

Denying that is being delusional. Personally, I hate tu with a passion, but they played good, unfortunately.

KDS is going to have to have a great year to keep up with tu recruiting. I don't like it but it's factual. What bothers me most is that we didn't get enough distance on them while they were down. I'm afraid that will haunt us as this year unfolds."

Way too high. And I find it ironic that it's the media that is drinking the kool-aid over 1 game. I fear when Texas loses to an opponent it shouldn't (Because let's face it, they will), they can now say: "Oh look at overrated Texas again, is Charlie Strong going to be fired?" 

If I have one outstanding gripe about 21st century media, its the fact that they want to create storylines that aren't there. Preseason and September polls being one of them. 

Way too high. And I find it ironic that it's the media that is drinking the kool-aid over 1 game. I fear when Texas loses to an opponent it shouldn't (Because let's face it, they will), they can now say: "Oh look at overrated Texas again, is Charlie Strong going to be fired?"

If I have one outstanding gripe about 21st century media, its the fact that they want to create storylines that aren't there. Preseason and September polls being one of them.

Aren't you 21st century media ? 😃

I think part of knowing we've turned the corner is when we don't lose those games that we should win. Not only just win them, but win them like we're supposed to – convincingly.

So UTEP, in my mind, is almost as big a test as Notre Dame was. Will we play down to UTEP's level? Or will we play lights out until we play 2nd teamers in the 4th?

If it's the latter, then I'm closer to believing we're there.

I think the OU game will be the biggest on the schedule now, just because of how things are playing out. The roles will be reversed, we'll have a winning record and they'll have two losses. They'll have this game circled like we have the last two years. And they'll come ready to play this time. I predicted last year's win. I don't predict a loss this year, but I'm nervous this time.

I think part of knowing we've turned the corner is when we don't lose those games that we should win. Not only just win them, but win them like we're supposed to – convincingly.

So UTEP, in my mind, is almost as big a test as Notre Dame was. Will we play down to UTEP's level? Or will we play lights out until we play 2nd teamers in the 4th?

If it's the latter, then I'm closer to believing we're there.

I think the OU game will be the biggest on the schedule now, just because of how things are playing out. The roles will be reversed, we'll have a winning record and they'll have two losses. They'll have this game circled like we have the last two years. And they'll come ready to play this time. I predicted last year's win. I don't predict a loss this year, but I'm nervous this time.

UTEP is important for the reasons you stated. It's a short week, Texas is getting positive national coverage for the first time in 6 years. None of these players have had that pressure yet. With the 2000s Longhorns, they were always a contender and getting national attention. They knew what came with the territory. It's one thing to want to have that attention, it's another on how you let that attention affect you. 

UTEP doesn't have the athletes to stay 60 minutes with the Longhorns. They will need to run the ball and control the clock if they have a chance at an upset so the Longhorns will have to score early and get stops early. Force UTEP to throw the ball. 

However, there are other "inferior" programs that could sneak up and beat the Longhorns. Iowa State showed that last year, they could do it again as the Longhorns play them after OU. Heck, Kansas gave the Longhorns a game in Lawrence in 2012, which they play in Lawrence once again this season. Sure it's easy to say "Ha! Kansas has no shot!" But, this is college football. Nothing ever goes according to plan. 

I'll be looking to see how they handle the pressure, especially the next two weeks. 

Looks like I'm on the wrong page as everyone else. I agree we are probably rated too high. However, I want us as high in the polls as possible. As far as I'm concern were still in the running for the playoffs and the higher we are now the better it will help us later.

I expect to win the next two games although Cal could be a problem on the road. The next two games after that are the Okie teams and if we are 4-0 after the OU game then things will get serious for me and I'll start thinking that making the playoffs this year is a possibility. 

In the meantime I want us a high in the polls as possible. If that causes too much pressure on the team then that will be a learning lesson for next year.