Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Notre Dame is coming to town!

irishfred

I cannot wait until labor day weekend.  It's just too darn quiet out there about UT vs ND!  I'm ready to get some BBQ, check out a few bars on 6th street, and watch a rare Sunday night game at UT vs the Irish...

The last time ND came to Austin, the game set the all-time attendance record for DKR stadium.  Anyone out there know if this one will break the all-time record?  The tickets are difficult to come across on the ND side... nevertheless I am anticipating a large crowd to descend into Austin for that weekend.

A little more than 1 month away!

I cannot wait until labor day weekend.  It's just too darn quiet out there about UT vs ND!  I'm ready to get some BBQ, check out a few bars on 6th street, and watch a rare Sunday night game at UT vs the Irish...

The last time ND came to Austin, the game set the all-time attendance record for DKR stadium.  Anyone out there know if this one will break the all-time record?  The tickets are difficult to come across on the ND side... nevertheless I am anticipating a large crowd to descend into Austin for that weekend.

Welcome to the board, Fred!

A new attendance record is certainly a possibility. DKR has expanded since the Irish last visited Austin.

There is much anticipation on the Texas side with a fan base that is eager to escape the doldrums of the past two seasons. We are now as talented as we've been since 2009, albeit young talent. We're a QB away from being a contender. Looks like our hopes are pinned on a Fab Frosh who shows much promise but nevertheless is a frosh. Everywhere else looks stacked.

ND comes to town easily the most talented team on the Texas schedule. It's tough to open the season against a team that is so good, but it's also a privilege to play a game of this significance. Two great traditions go head to head with the whole nation's eyes focused on this game.

Check out Franklins while you're Austin if you want good BBQ. Better get there early . . . real early. I'm not kidding. But it will be something you won't forget.

Thanks for the welcome!

Plenty of talent on both sides of this matchup, for sure.  It's going to be a great time.  It's not going to be a repeat from last year.

Austin is probably the greatest big-college city in the nation, in my opinion.  I hope that ND and UT plays more in the future.  I'm still ticked that ND cancelled the next two scheduled matchups between the schools - and then picked up Michigan.

I'd much rather play UT than Michigan. 

Thanks for the welcome!

Plenty of talent on both sides of this matchup, for sure.  It's going to be a great time.  It's not going to be a repeat from last year.

Austin is probably the greatest big-college city in the nation, in my opinion.  I hope that ND and UT plays more in the future.  I'm still ticked that ND cancelled the next two scheduled matchups between the schools - and then picked up Michigan.

I'd much rather play UT than Michigan. 

By the time you guys play them, it will be the University of Harbaugh.

I am not a fan.  

For the record, I am against field turf, any size jumbotrons (with tacky dot races/ advertisements placed before "LOUD!!!" graphics before 4th down), and tricked out uniforms.  Most of my friends from ND also feel the same way.

That being said, the Shamrock Series are not for us alums or the fans.  It's for the kids.  The recruits eat this stuff up, apparently.

It's all for making "The Brand" stronger and stronger...

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/vorel-shamrock-series-uniforms-are-for-notre-dame-s-players/article_565f4328-4f89-11e6-8e3e-e73f3c7bfbc2.html

Now about these "Shamrock Series" uniforms, Fred.....tradition?

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

Welcome! I'm picking the Horns to win and one of the reason is that I don't remember Notre Dame going against the Baylor offense. Maybe you can tell me what spread offense's has the Irish faced in the last 3 or 4 years.

Just off the top of my head, the Irish played LSU, North Carolina, Florida State, ASU, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Temple, Airforce...

Clemson (lost due to a BS call, should have won...)

There are a few that I am missing - I only went back 3 or so years.

ND has played quite a few spread teams in the last few years - we seem to fare alright against the scheme.

I prefer three downs and a cloud of dust.  I vote to wear the tricked-out unis when we play against heavy-spread offensive schemes.  Oregon vs ND could be the kickoff classic to start out the season...

The kids would eat it up!

Have fun at the game!

Welcome! I'm picking the Horns to win and one of the reason is that I don't remember Notre Dame going against the Baylor offense. Maybe you can tell me what spread offense's has the Irish faced in the last 3 or 4 years.

Just off the top of my head, the Irish played LSU, North Carolina, Florida State, ASU, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Temple, Airforce...

Clemson (lost due to a BS call, should have won...)

There are a few that I am missing - I only went back 3 or so years.

ND has played quite a few spread teams in the last few years - we seem to fare alright against the scheme.

I prefer three downs and a cloud of dust.  I vote to wear the tricked-out unis when we play against heavy-spread offensive schemes.  Oregon vs ND could be the kickoff classic to start out the season...

The kids would eat it up!

Have fun at the game!

The way I see the game from what I've read is that ND had the 27th rated offense last year and should be up there this season. The horns should have a good defense this year, but it will be young and inexperienced for the ND game, so I'm expecting the Irish will be able to move the ball and score points against us.

The Horns' offense will need to score and I believe it will come down to the Texas offensive line against Notre Dame's defensive line. Both lines are talented, but young and experienced. If Notre Dame's DL can dominate UT's OL then that takes away UT's RBs and puts pressure on Buechele when he passes.

However if the OL can open holes for Warren and Foreman and give Buechele time to pass then I believe UT can pull the upset.

The way I see the game from what I've read is that ND had the 27th rated offense last year and should be up there this season. The horns should have a good defense this year, but it will be young and inexperienced for the ND game, so I'm expecting the Irish will be able to move the ball and score points against us.

The Horns' offense will need to score and I believe it will come down to the Texas offensive line against Notre Dame's defensive line. Both lines are talented, but young and experienced. If Notre Dame's DL can dominate UT's OL then that takes away UT's RBs and puts pressure on Buechele when he passes.

However if the OL can open holes for Warren and Foreman and give Buechele time to pass then I believe UT can pull the upset.

I think that you nailed it with the ND D line and UT O line being a key matchup.  I like this ND defensive front - they are stout and lost some NFL caliber talent from last year.  There are some projections that this line will be better than last year... but we will have to wait and see.

I do not expect to see the complete offensive meltdown that UT showed last year - having 3-4 Irish Defensive linesmen at the point of handoff to the RB. The stunts that ND was running left some O-line players looking for their mama in the stands.  I expect that will be remedied come September.  

I love this offense from ND.  Again, there are a lot of unknowns.  There is talent on both sides, on both teams, this year.  ND have 3 qb's that could start at most other schools right now, and I cannot remember a time since Holtz that there has been as much talent in South Bend.  I am excited as heck.  I cannot wait to see Folston healthy, finally.  Josh Adams and that potential.  I am going to start tailgating as I type this...

The UT QB situation, like last year, is an issue.  Starting Buechele with the Irish, straight out of the gates, could be very risky.  Does UT go with the 18 wheeler, and that experience, to start off the game?  Is that risky as well?  The Personally, I would start Swoopes if I were UT then ease in Buechele.  

My wife is currently rubbing shoulders with many of the UT staff as I type this.  I will tell you that the QB coach just told her that "all I want to do right now is to beat ND".  The staff is hyped for this game, from her reports.  That makes me all warm and fuzzy...

You all need to follow your QB coach and get hyped...  this board is too darn quiet before the biggest game at DKR in the last 30 years.  Anyone out there looked at current ticket prices right now?  They are climbing into the stratosphere.  Is there a football fan base at UT, or is that just propaganda?

Get hyped, HS nation.  Games like this don't come around too often.  Sunday night, unopposed NCAA game?  Are you kidding me?  

I need to crack open another and check the BBQ grill...

I think that you nailed it with the ND D line and UT O line being a key matchup.  I like this ND defensive front - they are stout and lost some NFL caliber talent from last year.  There are some projections that this line will be better than last year... but we will have to wait and see.

I do not expect to see the complete offensive meltdown that UT showed last year - having 3-4 Irish Defensive linesmen at the point of handoff to the RB. The stunts that ND was running left some O-line players looking for their mama in the stands.  I expect that will be remedied come September.  

I love this offense from ND.  Again, there are a lot of unknowns.  There is talent on both sides, on both teams, this year.  ND have 3 qb's that could start at most other schools right now, and I cannot remember a time since Holtz that there has been as much talent in South Bend.  I am excited as heck.  I cannot wait to see Folston healthy, finally.  Josh Adams and that potential.  I am going to start tailgating as I type this...

The UT QB situation, like last year, is an issue.  Starting Buechele with the Irish, straight out of the gates, could be very risky.  Does UT go with the 18 wheeler, and that experience, to start off the game?  Is that risky as well?  The Personally, I would start Swoopes if I were UT then ease in Buechele.  

My wife is currently rubbing shoulders with many of the UT staff as I type this.  I will tell you that the QB coach just told her that "all I want to do right now is to beat ND".  The staff is hyped for this game, from her reports.  That makes me all warm and fuzzy...

You all need to follow your QB coach and get hyped...  this board is too darn quiet before the biggest game at DKR in the last 30 years.  Anyone out there looked at current ticket prices right now?  They are climbing into the stratosphere.  Is there a football fan base at UT, or is that just propaganda?

Get hyped, HS nation.  Games like this don't come around too often.  Sunday night, unopposed NCAA game?  Are you kidding me?  

I need to crack open another and check the BBQ grill...

Starting Buechele with the Irish, straight out of the gates, could be very risky.

I can agree that starting a true freshman in his first game against ND on national TV is risky. However I lived in Big Sur and Santa Cruz in the late eighties and got to watch Joe Montana every week in his prime and he was always cool in games especially in the fourth quarter. In the spring game Buechele had the same calmness and in control. If he is going to be nervous it will probably be at the start of the game. Buechele talked to Malik Jefferson before the spring game and told him he was nervous, but he didn't look like it.

I believe he will be fine as long as he has an effective running game and an OL that will give him a chance to pass.

I think that you nailed it with the ND D line and UT O line being a key matchup.  I like this ND defensive front - they are stout and lost some NFL caliber talent from last year.  There are some projections that this line will be better than last year... but we will have to wait and see.

I read that ND lost 13 out of last year's 24 sacks. I know you have some talented players, but I hope their inexperienced shows. You better have some depth on your DL. They are going to have to tackle two 240 plus RBs with speed that they both had 90 yard TDs last year. They also won't be able to rest on many plays.

I really cannot argue with what you said.  It will be very interesting.

I will not be surprised if ND starts out trying to shut down the run with 7-8 in the box.  Applying constant pressure and daring him to throw.  That could get ugly really fast, depending how UT picks it up (or doesn't).

I think that ND should be able to score on UT.  I hope that ND wins the possession battle, and if they do, then they should win.  However, it's the first game, away, with a world audience.  The away disadvantage may be nullified if the Irish get up early - but it's the first game and anything can happen.  

I hope that Kelly goes with Kizer and the machine starts clicking.  Kizer is iceman and has been on this stage before, so I think that's a huge advantage.  I don't want to see musical chairs on the Irish sideline, and BK has been known to have some bonehead calls in the past.

There will only be about 20 million people or so that may be watching this game, so no pressure.

I am hoping for a competitive game.  It should turn out this way if both teams are on point.

Starting Buechele with the Irish, straight out of the gates, could be very risky.

I can agree that starting a true freshman in his first game against ND on national TV is risky. However I lived in Big Sur and Santa Cruz in the late eighties and got to watch Joe Montana every week in his prime and he was always cool in games especially in the fourth quarter. In the spring game Buechele had the same calmness and in control. If he is going to be nervous it will probably be at the start of the game. Buechele talked to Malik Jefferson before the spring game and told him he was nervous, but he didn't look like it.

I believe he will be fine as long as he has an effective running game and an OL that will give him a chance to pass.

I think that you nailed it with the ND D line and UT O line being a key matchup.  I like this ND defensive front - they are stout and lost some NFL caliber talent from last year.  There are some projections that this line will be better than last year... but we will have to wait and see.

I read that ND lost 13 out of last year's sacks. I know you have some talented players, but I hope their inexperienced shows. You better have some depth on your DL. They are going to have to tackle two 240 plus RBs with speed that they both had 90 yard TDs last year. They also won't be able to rest on many plays.

It's interesting, starting a Freshman.  Buechele, from everything that I could see in the Spring Game, was born with his dad's blood, composed of 50% red-blooded American male and 50% ice water.  When I think of the offensive line's mission in the games this year, I'm reminded of Burt Reynold's quote in 'The Longest Yard', "Protect your quarterback!"

In April, after 3 months on campus, Buechele made quick, good decisions, and he was accurate.  He doesn't play like a true freshman.  "Protect your quarterback!", should be the mission of the offensive line.  Warren didn't look like a true sophomore in April, and he didn't play like one.  He showed great patience and the ability the break tackles.  Oh, did I forget to mention that for a big man, he shows a surprising amount of speed.

About that youth on the Texas team, the secondary has a remarkable amount of experience, in spite of the youth back there.

I hope ND is the favorite coming into the game, and please forgive me for saying so, but I hope that they leave DKR fervently wishing they had trained harder and smarter during the summer.  I expect both teams to have first game rust, but I also expect the Longhorns to come in breathing fire.  Make no mistake, if you knock them in the mouth, this Longhorn team will get up and punch your lights out.

I have faith in the Longhorns, who are on a mission this year.  I don't think they will be intimidated by anyone.  I expect a great game, but no one should expect this group of Longhorns to stop playing until the final whistle.

Don't interpret the silence here as apathy, at least from me, but quiet confidence.  I really want to beat ND, after all, they are the 1st team we play.  After that, I want to knock each succeeding team down, one by one, until we are the last one standing.

Hook 'em!

That's correct.  Probably a little hotter with everyone in the stadium.

I heard that they are not chilling the water bottles during practice, but serving it lukewarm,  to acclimate the body to inferno-like conditions.  The fan misters are also shut off, and the fans can only be set at "1" out of a possible 3 speeds!

Go Irish!

Game time is what? 6 p.m.? Should be a nice and toasty 99-101 around then. Probably 110 on the turf.

No offense taken. I respect the passion!   I have not seen much from my UT alum interactions (besides my wife, who is a true UT and college fan).  I asked a guy this morning at the Home Depot (who was wearing a UT hat) about the ND game, and he said "they're not in the conference, so if we lose it doesn't matter".  I did not even respond after that...

Just saw the spring game tape with Buechele, and he does look like a better passer than the other options.  What really struck me is how small he looks on the field - both in height and weight!

He seems to make some good decisions.  The D-line was not pushing full force to get to him, but he pulled the trigger a few times in some impressive throws.  Good stuff.

It's interesting, starting a Freshman.  Buechele, from everything that I could see in the Spring Game, was born with his dad's blood, composed of 50% red-blooded American male and 50% ice water.  When I think of the offensive line's mission in the games this year, I'm reminded of Burt Reynold's quote in 'The Longest Yard', "Protect your quarterback!"

In April, after 3 months on campus, Buechele made quick, good decisions, and he was accurate.  He doesn't play like a true freshman.  "Protect your quarterback!", should be the mission of the offensive line.  Warren didn't look like a true sophomore in April, and he didn't play like one.  He showed great patience and the ability the break tackles.  Oh, did I forget to mention that for a big man, he shows a surprising amount of speed.

About that youth on the Texas team, the secondary has a remarkable amount of experience, in spite of the youth back there.

I hope ND is the favorite coming into the game, and please forgive me for saying so, but I hope that they leave DKR fervently wishing they had trained harder and smarter during the summer.  I expect both teams to have first game rust, but I also expect the Longhorns to come in breathing fire.  Make no mistake, if you knock them in the mouth, this Longhorn team will get up and punch your lights out.

I have faith in the Longhorns, who are on a mission this year.  I don't think they will be intimidated by anyone.  I expect a great game, but no one should expect this group of Longhorns to stop playing until the final whistle.

Don't interpret the silence here as apathy, at least from me, but quiet confidence.  I really want to beat ND, after all, they are the 1st team we play.  After that, I want to knock each succeeding team down, one by one, until we are the last one standing.

Hook 'em!

Ohio State is no Notre Dame, will all due respect...  

Of course, I am biased from the conditioning that was bestowed upon me during my 4 years in South Bend.

I'll begrudgingly accept your pointing out of my possible embellishment on this upcoming game.

But it's big.  You have to give me that!

Fred...I respect the enthusiasm...I have to question the "biggest game at DKR in 30 years" ....Not so...When we played Ohio State in 04 or 05 it was with National title implications...We also had title games on the line in 08 and 09....otherwise...carry on.