Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryan Newsome Transferring From Texas

I knew Newsome was gone after the Spring game. He had 0 receptions and was only targeted one time. That was before all the '16 recruits were even on campus. Newsome was pretty much relegated to punt returns. 

Pretty much everyone knew Ryan was leaving after his lack of playing time last year and twitter posts with the usual "Much to think about going forward".  

You guys are right.  Ranking and huddl highlight films say it all.  Unofficial times, 20 lbs heavier, SPARQ ratings, yaddi yadda.  

Recruiting gurus and promotional highlight films are the tell all?  By these statements I guess Collin Johnson is the 41st WR recruit in last year's class. Tyrone Swoopes was what, the #6 athlete/QB?  

D'onte Foreman might have something to say about guru rankings as well, afterall his highlight film was unimpressive and he was ranked #1031.   While J Gray was the #1 RB and #6 player in the country in his class.  

Who was the better back?  No comparison at all but Gray was ranked 1025 slots higher in respective classes.  Foreman nearly doubled Gray's yards per attempt.

I hope Devin lives up to billing but you will have to excuse me if I am not in the "Its ok, Devin is better anyways" line. So aggy

Recruiting services aren't perfect. There's hit and misses. 

Duvernay is faster, stronger, bigger, and a better receiver than Newsome was coming out of HS. It's not even close either. My evaluation of Duvernay and Newsome has nothing to do with recruiting rankings. It has to do with measurables and film. Newsome was a good player coming out of HS, Duvernay was an elite player coming out of HS. 

Is Duvernay guaranteed success at the next level, nope. But there's no doubt Duvernay is a better athlete/player than Newsome was coming out of HS. 

But there's no doubt Duvernay is a better athlete/player than Newsome was coming out of HS. 

My point is if I insert these names, this was perceived by most.

But there's no doubt J. Gray is a better athlete/player than D'onte Foreman was coming out of HS. 

Look how that turned out.  I realize Gray wasn't the same since the injury but I thought Foreman was a better runner even in his limited action as a freshman.

My point is if I insert these names, this was perceived by most.

But there's no doubt J. Gray is a better athlete/player than D'onte Foreman was coming out of HS. 

Look how that turned out.  I realize Gray wasn't the same since the injury but I thought Foreman was a better runner even in his limited action as a freshman.

Recruiting is hit and miss. Sometimes the "better player and athletes" don't end up being all that good at the next level. 

With that said, I'll be surprised if Duvernay isn't substantially better than Newsome at the collegiate level. Newsome was a fine HS player but Duvernay is in a totally different league. 

Recruiting is hit and miss. Sometimes the "better player and athletes" don't end up being all that good at the next level. 

With that said, I'll be surprised if Duvernay isn't substantially better than Newsome at the collegiate level. Newsome was a fine HS player but Duvernay is in a totally different league. 

Well considering Ryan has caught 4 passes for 23 yards in his first year the threshold to be "substantially better than Newsome at the collegiate level"   isn't very high.

Some people in my family know Ryan personally so his leaving bothers me a little more than normal.  I had high hopes for him.  Ryan didnt seem to get much of chance to develop but Strong sees him everyday so Im sure he knows.

Well considering Ryan has caught 4 passes for 23 yards in his first year the threshold to be "substantially better than Newsome at the collegiate level"   isn't very high.

Some people in my family know Ryan personally so his leaving bothers me a little more than normal.  I had high hopes for him.  Ryan didnt seem to get much of chance to develop but Strong sees him everyday so Im sure he knows.

I think the biggest issue with Newsome is the fact he's not a very good fit in this offense. This offense wants a slot WR that can get downfield vs quick twitch type athletes. This is why Durvenay is a better fit and why Newsome probably wasn't utilized all that much in the Spring game at WR. I think Newsome is best utilized on bubble screens vs getting down field with straight line speed. Here's a good breakdown of the deep threat slot receiver in this system. 

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/10/17/6990377/the-rise-of-the-deep-threat-slot-receiver-Baylor-Bears-Art-Briles-spread-offense

I think Newsome could have contributed on special teams but I don't think he was going to be much of a factor in this offense and likely part of the reason he transferred. Either way, I wish nothing but the best for the kid.