Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why the Pac 12 would suck. . . Cal kickoff 9:30 CST. . .

echeese

Going to the PAC 12 ...the response should always be NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Half of football, basketball and baseball games would be played during the middle of the night...  I'll have to record the Cal game to watch Sunday morning,  since I doubt I will be able to stay awake past the 1st quarter...

http://texassports.com/news/2016/6/1/football-kickoff-times-set-for-utep-tcu-games.aspx

Can't make this shit up.  .. .good lord that sucks. . . .

Just say hell no to the Pac 12, thank god we nixed that deal . . . .

ACC or B1G. . .here we come.

Yeah, because a 9 or 10 AM start is a lot better for the fans if we go east.  Sheesh.  C'mon Cheese!  Not every game is going to be a 7:30 PM PST start, especially for Texas.  The majority of the time, we will command a prime time kickoff on major networks. 

Not that big of a deal.  Rangers and Astros are in same division as Oakland, Seattle and LA Angels and kind of dig the late games.  As for the Horns, doubt your looking at 5-6 late kickoffs, maybe 2-3 tops and like the thought of matching up with UCLA, USC, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, etc...  Just IMO, I'm for a move to the PAC12.  Don't want to go North to the BIG10, weather sucks up there.

Yeah, because a 9 or 10 AM start is a lot better for the fans if we go east.  Sheesh.  C'mon Cheese!  Not every game is going to be a 7:30 PM PST start, especially for Texas.  The majority of the time, we will command a prime time kickoff on major networks. 

We have one Pac 12 game and it's a 9:30 CST start.  . .bad deal . . . .

We go East or North, earliest start time will be 11 AM. . . . 

Not that big of a deal.  Rangers and Astros are in same division as Oakland, Seattle and LA Angels and kind of dig the late games.  As for the Horns, doubt your looking at 5-6 late kickoffs, maybe 2-3 tops and like the thought of matching up with UCLA, USC, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, etc...  Just IMO, I'm for a move to the PAC12.  Don't want to go North to the BIG10, weather sucks up there.

Rangers and Astros play 100 games a year. You miss one, you simply catch the next one.

Longhorn games are a more valuable commodity due to their limited number of opportunities to see them.

That said, I hate the Big 10 idea, don't care for the Pac 12 idea. I can't see a move to the SEC and the ACC presents the same problem as the Pac 12 except on the opposite coast.

There is no good move for Texas, IMO, unless that move is either 1) Going independent (Texas is one of the few schools that can), or 2) Join the Superconference whenever it happens and stay put or go Indy until then.

OU is tied to OSU so any move they make has to have room for two. Same for the Kansas schools.

One of the best breakdowns I've seen on Big 12 expansion candidate schools. This is from the Cinncinnatti newspaper.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/05/31/uc-vs-big-12-candidates-who-stands-out/85193190/

UC vs. Big 12 candidates: Who stands out?

As Big 12 Conference presidents prepare to meet this week to discuss whether the league should add schools, The Enquirer takes a look at the expansion candidates.

Eight schools have widely been mentioned as possible new additions to the Big 12, which could add two schools or might not expand at all. In addition to the University of Cincinnati, Brigham Young, Houston, Connecticut, Memphis, Central Florida, Boise State and Colorado State have been raising their hands yelling "pick me!"

Here's a look at how the candidates compare to each other:

Possible attractive qualities

• BYU leads the pack in football TV ratings and football and basketball attendance. The Cougars have finished in the top 30 in major college football attendance nine of the past 10 seasons, according to an Enquirer analysis of NCAA data. In basketball, BYU has ranked in the top 20 nationally in attendance the past five seasons. (NCAA rankings are not yet available for 2015-16 season.)

• In 2015, UC completed an $86 million expansion of Nippert Stadium that added new luxury suites, club seats, a party deck and press box. Also, UC is by far the closest expansion candidate to the Big 12's geographic outlier, West Virginia. But geography may not play a factor, even though West Virginia would like to have a closer conference rival. "The TV guys loom large in deciding who conferences are bringing into their league, and I’m not sure if they care about proximity of schools at all," said Courtney Brunious, associate director of the University of Southern California's Sports Business Institute.

• Boise State and Houston could give the Big 12 two more Top 25 football programs. Boise has finished with a top-20 ranking six of the past 10 seasons. Houston is coming off a 13-1 season in which it beat Florida State in the Peach Bowl and finished No. 8 in the Associated Press and coaches' polls.

• Houston opened a new, 40,000-seat stadium two years ago. Billionaire Texans Red McCombs and Tilman Fertitta also have been publicly calling for the Big 12 to add the school.

• Colorado State is in the process of building a $238.5 million on-campus football stadium. It's scheduled to open for the 2017 season.

• FedEx has vowed to become a major Big 12 sponsor if the conference takes Memphis, according to ESPN.com. The Memphis-based shipping giant could sponsor a Big 12 football championship game.

• Although football and the TV money that comes with it has driven conference realignment, Connecticut has more NCAA men's basketball championships than any current Big 12 school or expansion candidate. The Huskies have four national titles, including in 2011 and 2014.

Possible unattractive qualities

• None of the candidates appear to have the ability to significantly increase the Big 12's television revenue, except maybe BYU. That's partly due to some of the schools being overshadowed by professional teams and other colleges in their own TV market. Big 12 officials have this concern about Houston and Cincinnati.

• BYU's affiliation with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not permit the schools' athletic teams from playing on Sunday. That's typically not a problem for football, but it could create a scheduling nightmare for basketball and other sports that play games on Sunday.

• Boise State and Central Florida are both over 1,000 miles away from the closest Big 12 school.

• Memphis plays its football and basketball games in off-campus venues.

• Except for BYU and Memphis, all the candidates' football stadiums are smaller than the Big 12's smallest venue (Texas Christian's 45,000-seat Amon G. Carter Stadium). However, UC and Houston could play some home games in their cities' NFL stadiums.

Football TV ratings

A look at the 10 most-watched regular-season games involving the candidates during each of the past two seasons, based on an Enquirer analysis of Sports Media Watch data:

BYU vs. Nebraska: 3.134 million viewers, ABC

BYU vs. Michigan: 3.071M, ABC

Houston vs. Navy: 3.055M, ABC

Boise State vs. Washington: 2.058M, ESPN

Connecticut vs. Missouri: 1.903M, ESPN

Cincinnati vs. BYU: 1.468M, ESPN

Cincinnati vs. Miami (Florida): 1.348M, ESPN

Cincinnati vs. Memphis: 1.242M, ESPN

BYU vs. Connecticut: 1.240M, ESPN2

Memphis vs. Tulsa: 1.216M, ESPN

(Memphis-Ole Miss had combined viewership with Iowa-Northwestern of 3.311M on ABC.)

Boise State vs. Ole Miss: 2.42M, ESPN

BYU vs. Virginia: 1.64M, ESPN

Boise State vs. Fresno State: 1.62M, ESPN

Connecticut vs. South Florida: 1.36M, ESPN

BYU vs. Central Florida: 1.34M, ESPN

Cincinnati vs. Houston: 1.31M, ESPN

Central Florida vs. Penn State: 1.29M, ESPN2

BYU vs. Utah State: 1.17M, ESPN

BYU vs. Connecticut: 1.08M, ESPN

BYU vs. Houston: 1.05M, ESPN

(Data not available for CBS Sports Network, which has a deal with the American Athletic Conference – UC, Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, Connecticut – and the Mountain West Conference – Boise State and Colorado State.)

http://e.infogr.am/a4e3c2df-dae2-4fef-a31a-1c4706b870d6?src=embed

TV market size

Nielsen's national ranking of the markets where each candidate is located:

10. Houston

17. Colorado State (Denver)

19. Central Florida (Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne)

30. Connecticut (Hartford/New Haven)

34. BYU (Salt Lake City)

36. Cincinnati

50. Memphis

107. Boise State (Boise)

• Big 12 rankings: Texas Christian is located in conference's largest market (No. 5 Dallas/Fort Worth); Texas Tech is in the smallest (No. 144 Lubbock).

Athletic revenue

How candidates fared in USA Today's latest college athletics financial rankings:

48. Connecticut $72.2 million (university subsidy: $28.1M)

54. Cincinnati $52.5M (subsidy: $23.2M)

55. Central Florida $51.5M (subsidy: $24.8M)

62. Houston $44.8M (subsidy: $12.4M)

64. Boise State $43.9M (subsidy: $12.4M)

65. Memphis $43.4M (subsidy: $12.8M)

70. Colorado State $38.5M (subsidy: $20.4M)

• Big 12 rankings: Texas has the highest national ranking at No. 2 with $183.5M; Iowa State has the lowest at No. 47 with $75.3M. The athletic departments at Texas and Oklahoma do not receive a university subsidy; Oklahoma State receives the biggest subsidy of $7.8M.)

(BYU is a private school and not subject to publicly disclose financial records. The school reportedly signed an eight-year deal with ESPN in 2010 paying BYU between $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game.)

Academic ranking

U.S. News & World Report’s national rankings:

57. Connecticut

66. BYU

127. Colorado State

140. Cincinnati

168. Central Florida

187. Houston

NR. Memphis

NR. Boise State

• Big 12 rankings: Texas had the highest at No. 42; West Virginia had the lowest at No. 175.

http://e.infogr.am/ec4497e8-ff53-49e7-9068-19ce660c2d67?src=embed

Football fan index rankings

How candidates fared in USA Today's 2015 College Football Fan Index, which ranks each major college team's fans by social media data and online polling:

47. Boise State

50. BYU

54. Memphis

59. Houston

92. Colorado State

93. Central Florida

94. Cincinnati

106. Connecticut

• Big 12 rankings: Oklahoma had the highest ranking at No. 10; Kansas had the lowest at 69th.

Proximity

A look at each candidates' closest Big 12 school:

• Houston 166 miles to University of Texas​

• Cincinnati 305 miles to West Virginia

• Memphis 472 miles to Oklahoma State

• Connecticut 522 miles to West Virginia

• Colorado State 547 miles to Kansas State

• BYU 872 miles to Texas Tech

• Central Florida 1,046 miles to Texas Christian

• Boise State 1,253 miles to Texas Tech

http://e.infogr.am/388162dd-d644-40ae-b65a-ca0f85bd84fc?src=embed

I have an extremely hard time believing ESPN/FOX will give us a pro rata increase for the G5 candidates. Does not compute. If true, I don't see why every school but UT doesn't vote for expansion.

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

somebody is talking nutty stuff.  i think i can assure you texas would immediately vote in the affirmative the moment notre dame and florida state ask for inclusion.

dennis dodd needs to personally guarantee the billion dollars to the conference for taking on four small programs.  if he's sure enough to shoot off his mouth, then surely he's sure enough to make that guarantee.

I have no desire to see Texas in the Pac 12.  This game is exactly why.  It would probably only be 1 or 2 games a year, but F that!  There is no comparing Pacific To Eastern time zones....I'd take one hour early all day every day versus the West Coast BS.

I'm on the B1G bus, but I wouldn't mind seeing the ACC thing come together with Texas already having a platform to launch an ACC network while keeping regional coverage to ourselves!  If they could lock up ND and Texas in all Sport, I'd be down with it.

yep.  the time zone issues are pointed out by this game, but think also about west virginia.  they are three time zones from the west coast.

we've cast our lot to the east already.  i stick with what i said regarding the timing of this game essentially being a throwing in of the towel.  they know we aren't coming.

Can you name a single game that started at 9 or 10 AM CST?  I can't remember any game every starting earlier that 11:00 AM CST.

A move/merger with the ACC makes the most sense to me. Though at this point we'll have to wait for the SEC and Big 10 to move first. This is my biggest criticism of Dodds-era Big 12, that unlike SEC/Big 10 the Big 12 had absolutely no vision.  Nebraska, OU and Texas could have all gotten together and said "let's make something great" and add four big fish in eastern markets.  Instead all parties continued pursuing self-interests. Which is the definition of dysfunction and is why we are where we are. 

This is my biggest criticism of Dodds-era Big 12, that unlike SEC/Big 10 the Big 12 had absolutely no vision.  Nebraska, OU and Texas could have all gotten together and said "let's make something great" and add four big fish in eastern markets.  Instead all parties continued pursuing self-interests. Which is the definition of dysfunction and is why we are where we are. 

If you call adding the likes of Maryland and Rutgers "visionary" we obviously disagree on the word's definition.

I do agree that the Big12 has always been dysfunctional with the big boys always voting in their self interests. It wasn't just UT that refused to pool our Tier 3 TV rights - OU, NU, and aggy voted against it, too, at the time. At least that's what long-term OU writer, Berry Tramel, claims.

Looks like Adam Smith's "invisible hand" is at work right now for the Big12. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.  ;)

do you know which sections are UT or did you just buy to buy? Looks like prices start in the $80s on the secondary market.

I went through the LHF.  Have no idea what sections they're going to be in.  I'd imagine in some End Zone Corner.  Think they were $80 each. 

Can you name a single game that started at 9 or 10 AM CST?  I can't remember any game every starting earlier that 11:00 AM CST.

A move/merger with the ACC makes the most sense to me. Though at this point we'll have to wait for the SEC and Big 10 to move first. This is my biggest criticism of Dodds-era Big 12, that unlike SEC/Big 10 the Big 12 had absolutely no vision.  Nebraska, OU and Texas could have all gotten together and said "let's make something great" and add four big fish in eastern markets.  Instead all parties continued pursuing self-interests. Which is the definition of dysfunction and is why we are where we are. 

While I agree in concept, Neb was NEVER going to hang around.  They were always going to bolt as was Mizzu and frankly I was shocked the B1G went Neb not Mizzu.

But yes, we should have struck when the iron was hot, said don't let the door hit you in the azz to Neb, gomers, Mizzu and Colo and immediately struck deals with Louisville, FSU, GT and Clemson in addition to WVU.   Created 2 six team divisions and things would be a great deal better.  Sorry TCU, the cockroaches bring nothing to the table.

Me too.  Bought my tix today

I got mine through a friend so I too will be there. Bastards are staying at the Mark Hopkins, so I will sell my oldest son and spend one night there.

Anyone know of a tailgate for the game.

BTW, since I live in NorCal the PAC would be great for me.