What Happens Next?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What Happens Next?

• Nothing, Big XII just add a couple more teams
    • UT follows OU wherever they go.
    • UT goes independent
    • UT begs TAM and OU to please come back

• Administrators
Now Okie St is weighing in saying they are joined at the hip with OU and would have a decision in a few weeks. Sounds like OKIE Talk for see ya..This is getting serious, really serious

Texas will be a one-conference team next year bevomav. I thought Texas politics were bad but Oklahoma trumps it tenfold. You know how those Oklahoma people are - they marry their cousins. The likely scenario is both teams join the sissies out West in the PAC 10.

Texas goes on to rule its own kingdom which keeps getting richer and richer and richer....

Texas will be a one-conference team next year bevomav. I thought Texas politics were bad but Oklahoma trumps it tenfold. You know how those Oklahoma people are - they marry their cousins. The likely scenario is both teams join the sissies out West in the PAC 10.

Texas goes on to rule its own kingdom which keeps getting richer and richer and richer....

From you lips to God's ears..

I wouldn't be surprised if Texas goes to the Pac 10 next year. I really think this Longhorn Network is more of a thorn in their side than anything. OU, Texas, Mizzou, Oklahoma State will be gone. KU and the other scrubs will have to find alliances that behoove them. KU basketball is to be reckoned with but all the other schools belong in the WAC or CUSA.

I just listened to Norm Hitzges on the Ticket/1310 Dallas. Norm had on a writer from the Oklahoman and he has followed OU for 20 years. He says the ball is in the Longhorns court and they are in a pickle. OU is going to the Pac 12 along with Tech and Ok St and they want UT to go as well..

Here is the problem. The Pac 12 is not going to allow Texas to have the LHN. So they have a big decision to make. They can keep their network and watch the cream of the conference leave or drop the network and move to a viable conference. They also spoke of how unhappy ESPN is with the backlash from the LHN. Add in they are having trouble getting cable companies to carry the network and a divorce could be imminent.

How embarrassing would it be to dump the LHN before it even got off the ground? Would it be possible for the Longhorns to keep a viable Big 12 without Tech, OU and OU St? Doesn't seem to be.

The Big 12(if UT keeps LHN) would be down to Baylor, Texas, Missou, Kansas, Kansas St and Iowa St. First we could get lower tier teams like SMU, Houston, TCU to come join the party. The problem with this is Kansas has a standing offer for the Big East. It might be inviting for basketball, their main interest, and could probably take K St with them. Missou has to be exploring options. Do they want to be left in the cold.

Independent...Texas does not want to go independent but that might be their only option. That would set up a dream for ESPN, if they could get UT's opponents to agree to televise games on the LHN. The problem here is the team does not have a Notre Dame deal. They could find themselves being Boise St..Going undefeated and not going to the national championship game.

I would value any input on this issue because I am concerned by the turn of events..

Edited by beevomav
add more shit..:)
  • Administrators

I think OU felt a little bit like A&M, not wantingTexas to dictate the course of events for everyone in the Big XII. Most likely the PAC 15 deal is well on its way without Texas. The PAC 10 television revenue sharing is much greater for conference schools than the Big XII offers, so I can see why everyone is ready to bolt. Also throw in the fact that the Longhorn Network is a bit of a thorn in the side of Texas (and everyone else in the Big XII) and you are right - the the Horns are in a SOUR pickle.

Without getting too profound, ESPN is a greedy entity. The marketing revenue Texas brings on a national level is to be reckoned with - only second to Notre Dame. ESPN is loving the scenario Texas finds itself in. They want Texas to go independent so they can televise every Longhorn game exclusively and make a ton of cash. The Longhorn alumni base spreads far and wide, but not like Notre Dame's. My brother-in-law were talking about the Notre Dame/Texas comparison last night and he made a good point. He said, in New York people that watch Texas football games are Texas alumni. In New York (or elsewhere) people that watch Notre Dame games didn't go to Notre Dame - they are fans. He also pointed out that the ND network doesn't just draw fans in - it draws in a ton of folks that hate the golden domers and watch for the simple fact they want them to lose.

ESPN - An evil empire that is second only to the New York Yankees!

Notre Dame brings in Catholics but saying Texas only is watched by the alumni is a hogwash. Texas has sold more sports realted items for 14 of the past 15 years and 6 in a row, those can't all be alumni. Plus Texas has better ratings than ND in a heads up position. ND is the Tiger Woods of football, half watch because they love em and half because they hate em..

I just read an article where ESPN expects to bring in over 40 million a year from the LHN and pays UT 15 million. That is 25 mil in the bank but 15 mil is a drop in the bucket for UT if they went to a super conference. I just don't know how Texas could end the LHN without being humiliated.

• Administrators

Agree on the humiliation aspect. Regarding the marketing of a brand - the Longhorn is a well recognized symbol and sells great amongst all audiences. With that being said a shirt or cap and a network are two different things. I know tons of junior high kids and high school kids that wear Texas gear - 99% of them do not watch Texas football games. Hard to compare Texas vs. ND from a television perspective because ND has had their tv deal for a number of years now and Texas in in the infancy stages of its own. I would hope the good folks in every area of the state of Texas have the opportunity to see what the LHN has to offer. Beyond sports I'm sure it is pretty freaking cool.

OU is the only soul worth saving in the Big XII and they see the writing on the wall. Boomer Sooner is moving to a new conference and if the Longhorns are smart they will follow. The Big XII is dead and Texas has the longhorn network albatross following it around. For once Texas is a bit screwed.

OU is the only soul worth saving in the Big XII and they see the writing on the wall. Boomer Sooner is moving to a new conference and if the Longhorns are smart they will follow. The Big XII is dead and Texas has the longhorn network albatross following it around. For once Texas is a bit screwed.

Well I see our old friend earlygag has shown up to offer up, yet another, unbiased opinion of what UT should do. Thanks for the input and once again, enjoy those gang bangs you are going to receive in the SEC. Your welcome..